Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 02, 2011, 02:40 AM
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Sep 2010
78 Posts
Discussion
Summit Willys Jeep FPV

After stumbling on a video on youtube from Wobby, I was inspired. Thanks to Wobby for all the great info on his blog. I used as much info as I could get from him and put together a FPV Jeep.

I even bought a Futaba 9C controller like his.

Here are a few things I found out with some research:

1) The higher the frequency of the signal, the shorter the range for a given power. A 1.2GHz signal will go either twice as far or 40% farther than a 2.4GHz signal. Some articles say to divide the distance by 2 and other say by the square root of 2 (1.414). Either way, lower frequency is better.

2) ... will add more info later.

I will post more info about using the sun-sky 1.2GHz video transmitter and receiver when I get in the 12V voltage regulators I ordered on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

They should output a steady 12 volts when used with a 4S lipo (14 volts). I want to use it with the sun-sky video receiver. I ordered the same one that Wobby uses: http://www.sunsky-online.com/view/13...ransmitter.htm

The body is a 1/6 Hasbro Jeep (from ebay). There are similar jeeps, Ultimate soldier, same size and same jeep but less detailed paint job. Notice the realistic dirt on the windshield, that dirt is not on the ultimate soldier jeep. The jeeps tend to sell on ebay for around $80.

The fatshark headset seems to be the best available. The quality is excellent. The view is always clear and it has a 46 degree field of view. Your normal eye sight is around 180 degrees. While it is nowhere near as high as your eyes, most other headsets are only around 30 degrees. The screen actually looks pretty big when you have the headset on. If you are thinking about getting a headset, get one, you won't regret it. It completely changes the RC experience. I am thrilled with mine.

When I get some more time I will try to post as much info as possible to make it easy for someone new to set up an FPV system on the traxxas summit.

Oh, also I ordered a head tracker and will post info when I get it.

Specterx is offline Find More Posts by Specterx
Last edited by Specterx; Jan 03, 2011 at 04:01 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2011, 09:23 AM
Joined May 2011
94 Posts
Here's a new body ^^

follow this link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHfGU3MWtlg

Have a good day
traxxalu is offline Find More Posts by traxxalu
Old May 28, 2011, 09:32 AM
Air Crash Expert
Louisiana
Joined Oct 2005
1,177 Posts
Looking good man ! I'll be following this, as I have been kicking around the idea myself as a break from flying.
sawman is offline Find More Posts by sawman
Old May 28, 2011, 09:39 AM
RC Wannabe!
vercelli, ITALY
Joined Dec 2009
529 Posts
must be great not have to be concerned for every gram added!
areis81 is offline Find More Posts by areis81
Old Jun 01, 2011, 04:45 PM
Joined May 2011
94 Posts
Sure, It's not like a plane or heli, anyway aluminium stell strong and light.
All battery whith GOPRO camera is largly heavy than the else of summit.
traxxalu is offline Find More Posts by traxxalu