SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 12, 2011, 10:59 PM
Joined Nov 2006
466 Posts
Sorry for the delay in responding, sgomes. I bought my Corvalis at Smith Brothers Hobbies in Northridge, CA. They are on the internet if you need address and phone number.

I have encountered a bit of a problem with my Corvalis. With eight flights to date things have been going well. I do have a bit of a twist in the tight wing which required almost full right aileron trim to correct. Gentle massaging of the wing seems to be helping, with each outing requiring less trim. Another couple of tries and we should be centered. The second problem just occurred when installing a new Hitec Mini6 receiver, I noticed the nose wheel and rudder were misaligned. The culprit seems to be a little plastic fork that turns the nose gear. It is moved by a vertical pin and slides up and down on this allowing the strut actuation. One of the prongs on the fork is broken, making the steering pretty much useless. I tried to repair it with medium thick CA, bit that didn't work, jamming up the strut and the prong is still loose. I'll order a new strut tomorrow, but there has to be a better way to do this. Preliminary examination indicates that the fork can be duplicated out of sheet aluminum without too much difficulty, providing need strength. The funny thing is, I have logged about twenty landings and touch and goes, all on Bermuda grass and all have been good or better arrivals. Too bad. I was really looking forward to flying tomorrow, too.

Reid
Fravits is offline Find More Posts by Fravits
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2011, 10:40 PM
Perth, Australia
Joined May 2010
124 Posts
I have what appears to be the same plane, rebranded/distributed by ST-Model - it comes with a different set of decals. It's a really docile flyer and looks beautiful in the air. I've probably only done about 30 flights and 6 hours flight time on her though. Got distracted the last time I flew her on landing (stupid stuff happening on the field) stalled and nosed in at 45 degrees. Though it works, the nosegear strut is weakened and the nosewheel fairing is cracked, so I have to order some parts one of these days :/

One morning, stuck a keychain camera on one wing (to get away from the prop) and a counterweight on the other. Good fun

Keychain Camera Dawn Patrol (3 min 24 sec)
Ben-M is offline Find More Posts by Ben-M
Old Mar 14, 2011, 07:26 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben-M View Post
I have what appears to be the same plane, rebranded/distributed by ST-Model - it comes with a different set of decals. It's a really docile flyer and looks beautiful in the air. I've probably only done about 30 flights and 6 hours flight time on her though. Got distracted the last time I flew her on landing (stupid stuff happening on the field) stalled and nosed in at 45 degrees. Though it works, the nosegear strut is weakened and the nosewheel fairing is cracked, so I have to order some parts one of these days :/

One morning, stuck a keychain camera on one wing (to get away from the prop) and a counterweight on the other. Good fun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt7B74ABPxo
Great video. I did something similar with my Super Cub but I didn't counter balance the camera on the other wing. It definitely made it difficult to fly but I managed OK. What did you use to counter the camera weight?
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Mar 15, 2011, 12:06 AM
Perth, Australia
Joined May 2010
124 Posts
A fishing weight inside a foam blister I'd cut to the same size as the camera mount.
Ben-M is offline Find More Posts by Ben-M
Old Mar 15, 2011, 02:50 AM
Joined Nov 2006
466 Posts
Nice touch, Ben.
Fravits is offline Find More Posts by Fravits
Old Mar 21, 2011, 07:20 PM
RPoe
Joined Feb 2010
32 Posts
I absolutely would recommend anyone purchasing this plane (except maybe real Beginners). Got mine last week and simply installed a Futaba rx, linked it to my tx, added a battery from my crashed Trojan and away we went!! I have to say this is my favorite plane so far - I have a nitro Sportster, a foamie Super Cub, a L4 Grasshopper (72" wingspan) and a Hangar9 P51. It's not like a foamie in that it doesn't try to right itself if you go neutral with the sticks - it goes where it's pointed and I like that. Loops and rolls were great, no problems there. I did install the black plastic wing connector upside down, but when I saw it had a negative dihedral, I knew I'd done something wrong. The only thing I would say is that it can be fragile, but most foamies are. I came in for a landing and ran off the paved runway. I was headed directly toward another plane that was off the runway (my fault) so I pulled the rudder hard left. The front wheel caught the grass and spun the plane 180 degrees in the air, landing on the rudder. This damaged the rudder/front wheel servo - it appears that it broke a tooth off the internal drive wheel. You might call this a negative reason to buy the plane, but I do think the crash was a fluke (I've never "landed" on a plane's rudder!) plus micro servos are not Herculean. The only other thing i found is that the servos are not listed in the replacement parts at the front of the manual with a part #. If i have a hard time finding a replacement, I probably would call this a negative.

But don't let these 2 things keep you from buying the plane - I can't really explain how great this plane is, and I agree that flying after the sun goes down adds a whole new dimension to RC flying - the LED's are just plain cool.

Hope this helps - go out and buy 1!!!

RP
SuzieQ is offline Find More Posts by SuzieQ
Old Mar 21, 2011, 08:39 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ View Post
I absolutely would recommend anyone purchasing this plane (except maybe real Beginners). Got mine last week and simply installed a Futaba rx, linked it to my tx, added a battery from my crashed Trojan and away we went!! I have to say this is my favorite plane so far - I have a nitro Sportster, a foamie Super Cub, a L4 Grasshopper (72" wingspan) and a Hangar9 P51. It's not like a foamie in that it doesn't try to right itself if you go neutral with the sticks - it goes where it's pointed and I like that. Loops and rolls were great, no problems there. I did install the black plastic wing connector upside down, but when I saw it had a negative dihedral, I knew I'd done something wrong. The only thing I would say is that it can be fragile, but most foamies are. I came in for a landing and ran off the paved runway. I was headed directly toward another plane that was off the runway (my fault) so I pulled the rudder hard left. The front wheel caught the grass and spun the plane 180 degrees in the air, landing on the rudder. This damaged the rudder/front wheel servo - it appears that it broke a tooth off the internal drive wheel. You might call this a negative reason to buy the plane, but I do think the crash was a fluke (I've never "landed" on a plane's rudder!) plus micro servos are not Herculean. The only other thing i found is that the servos are not listed in the replacement parts at the front of the manual with a part #. If i have a hard time finding a replacement, I probably would call this a negative.

But don't let these 2 things keep you from buying the plane - I can't really explain how great this plane is, and I agree that flying after the sun goes down adds a whole new dimension to RC flying - the LED's are just plain cool.

RP
Thanks! This plane is next on my list. I current.y have the HZ Champ, HZ Super Cub (modded like crazy with Park 480 brushless motor, ailerons, and a clipped wing) and the Trojan T-28. Love them all but I can't wait to get my hands on this Cessna. The lights and flaps are calling my name!!

What sort of connector comes on the ESC? Is it EC3 so I can use my existing batteries without soldering or will I need to solder an EC3 connector onto the ESC?
Old Mar 21, 2011, 09:31 PM
Joined Mar 2011
212 Posts
$124.97 at 'Tower Hobbies'

Removed by User
Retiredtech is offline Find More Posts by Retiredtech
Last edited by Retiredtech; May 29, 2013 at 04:04 AM. Reason: Correct delivery time
Old Mar 21, 2011, 10:39 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,384 Posts
Good report RP...Someone needs to take an action photo of it in full LED glory at dusk!
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 22, 2011, 12:16 AM
Stantheman
LaGrange, Ky.
Joined May 2004
431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ View Post

RP
I have had my eye on the Corvalis for several weeks now but I had been waiting until several more reports came in or one showed up at the flying field. I finally ordered one today! Thanks for the report.
Several people have mentioned the negative dihedral or anhedral problem and in one video I saw it was quite apparent. Is there a simple thing to look for when installing the wing joiner to make sure its installed correctly?
I, too, plan on using the 3s 2100mah packs that I use in my T-28D Trojan. I understand that I will have to change the connector on the ESC to an EC3.
I have been flying for years and I am so frustrated by the "connector circus" in RC today!!! I cannot understand why manufacturers cannot all just decide on ONE connector and use that one exclusively! Everyones sales would go up. Of course, I like EC3's the best so that would be the one that I would hope they all would decide on!
Stantheman is offline Find More Posts by Stantheman
Old Mar 22, 2011, 02:10 AM
Joined Mar 2011
212 Posts
The manual says .....

Removed by User
Last edited by Retiredtech; May 29, 2013 at 04:04 AM.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 02:29 PM
Takeoff=Option Landing=Must
USA, NY, Depew
Joined Jan 2009
821 Posts
I have so much fun flying this plane.
Shot a short vid couple days ago.

Rob

Flyzone Cessna Corvalis.mpg (6 min 51 sec)
robusp is online now Find More Posts by robusp
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pulsar 3.2E Competition Pro
Old Mar 24, 2011, 04:56 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robusp View Post
I have so much fun flying this plane.
Shot a short vid couple days ago.

Rob

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh4eUSw19b8
Smooth as butter. Nice flying and great video. I love those nav lights and it looked like the plan settled in so softly for that landing with the flaps.

I can't wait to pick this plane up. I just picked up the UM Sukhoi this afternoon so I'll maiden that when the wind dies down and then the Cessna is next on my list.
Old Apr 02, 2011, 02:27 AM
Joined Mar 2011
212 Posts
Numerous Problems

Removed by User
Last edited by Retiredtech; May 29, 2013 at 04:01 AM. Reason: Referencing to another post
Old Apr 02, 2011, 10:51 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,384 Posts
Wow it's amazing how different others experiences can be with the same plane. Although I know what you mean about the cowl top, there is nothing else I could really relate to. I've had my 70-pound dog literally step on it twice, it has rammed into the side of a curb at mid-throttle speed, taken several less than perfect greaser landings and it just continues to baffle me how resilient this little plane is.

There's never been a need for weights...The 2200 3S balances perfect for it even if it means a little adjustment to the aft section of the battery compartment. In fact, I was quite honestly expecting all the hassles and then some that you mention based on the reputation that FlyZone is NewbZone. I almost didn't purchase this plane just because I expected it to be bottom shelf, newbie garbage, especially since I'm used to flying much higher quality composites, EDFs and so on.

I'm certainly not discounting your experiences. It may be you have a lemon or that your expectations were a bit inflated for what this plane really is. I can think of a thousand planes were the overall quality is better (in fact, all of my other planes in my hangar as a start), but for the price and expectation, I continue to be pleasantly surprised. Personally I would contact the distributor and ask for a replacement. Just my two pennies...
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member