HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 15, 2011, 08:14 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aronph View Post
there are several threads on the stinson-have you read them?-i highly suggest..
Yes. I read those a ton and until I saw the Cessna I was all set to buy the Stinson. I tend to trust the Parkzone much, much more and I can't ignore the fact that the Stinson is so highly regarded BUT... This Cessna has my interest piqued!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2011, 07:09 PM
Joined Nov 2006
449 Posts
I assembled mine and flew it for the first time this morning. Very impressive. It is quite the looker sitting out on the field. Take off from our field was a little rough with the clumps of grass (Bermuda) snagging the landing gear and causing the shock on the nose strut to compress, giving a negative angle of attack. It popped up just fine once speed built up, but a better solution was to go to ten degrees flaps and full up elevator. Once the nose wheel was up and out of the grass, things worked a lot better. Climb out was crisp and control response excellent. Certainly not an aerobat, but plenty entertaining. I had some wind aloft and the Cessna got bounced around a bit. This is not the plane for gusty conditions, the instuctions advising a ten mph limit. I agree. Low passes with half flaps and power were impressively slow. Same for final approach. Power off and full flaps enables a rapid descent with no speed build up. Fly it right down to the ground give it a quick flair and you are down. I love playing with the flaps!

A couple of nits to pick. My right wing had some packing damage on the inner edge of the flap and was stuck in position by some excess glue. Also the strobe doesn't work on my left wing, but my landing lights and nav light are flashing like mad. The dealer is happy to make things right. Good job. Nice plane!
Fravits is offline Find More Posts by Fravits
Old Feb 27, 2011, 08:48 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fravits View Post
I assembled mine and flew it for the first time this morning. Very impressive. It is quite the looker sitting out on the field. Take off from our field was a little rough with the clumps of grass (Bermuda) snagging the landing gear and causing the shock on the nose strut to compress, giving a negative angle of attack. It popped up just fine once speed built up, but a better solution was to go to ten degrees flaps and full up elevator. Once the nose wheel was up and out of the grass, things worked a lot better. Climb out was crisp and control response excellent. Certainly not an aerobat, but plenty entertaining. I had some wind aloft and the Cessna got bounced around a bit. This is not the plane for gusty conditions, the instuctions advising a ten mph limit. I agree. Low passes with half flaps and power were impressively slow. Same for final approach. Power off and full flaps enables a rapid descent with no speed build up. Fly it right down to the ground give it a quick flair and you are down. I love playing with the flaps!

A couple of nits to pick. My right wing had some packing damage on the inner edge of the flap and was stuck in position by some excess glue. Also the strobe doesn't work on my left wing, but my landing lights and nav light are flashing like mad. The dealer is happy to make things right. Good job. Nice plane!
Awesome!! Can't wait to get mine!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Feb 27, 2011, 09:11 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,318 Posts
Nice report Fravits! She is a lot of fun. Wait until you dusk fly her. It adds a whole other dimension to the experience. Glad to hear the dealer is quick to make things right. One of the better unassuming, "Bang for your Buck" planes out there.
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 28, 2011, 01:04 AM
Joined Nov 2006
449 Posts
Thanks Aros. Soon as I am a little more familliar with her and get the light problem sorted out, I intend to do just that. I am very impressed with this plane and I can't figure out why it isn't more popular. Fly Zone has a real winner in the Corvalis.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 09:43 AM
Takeoff=Option Landing=Must
USA, NY, Depew
Joined Jan 2009
800 Posts
Flew it yesterday for the first time this year on its wheels.
I had skis on for last two months.
Mine is not quite stock.
I had a problem with esc on my 3rd flight and Hobbico replaced whole plane.
While I was waiting for them to acknowledge warranty, I installed KD A22-20L motor, 9x6 prop and 35A esc which were collecting dust.
I like this setup. I am getting 8-9 min of flight time. Plenty of power when you need it.
I should assemble my other one, so I can take them both and compare power plants.

Rob
robusp is online now Find More Posts by robusp
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by robusp; Feb 28, 2011 at 01:47 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 04:54 PM
Joined Nov 2006
449 Posts
Good idea, Rob. It will be interesting to see what you come up with. For now, I am leaving mine pretty much stock, but I would like to add a couple of more lights to it. A different paint scheme might be in the works too, after she gets a few scuffs. I am currently flying with a Hitec Focus 6, but should be upgrading to an Optic 6 with the 2.4 module this weekend.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 05:58 PM
USA, NY, Depew
Joined Jan 2009
800 Posts
For anybody considering this plane, if you have an issue with transporting it in one piece.
I had to come up with something, before I even start building my second one. I have room in my car for 3 planes with ws up to 50", but only 1 as big as Corvalis.
I velcroed the filler piece behind the wing. (It can be skipped all together, can't tell its there once the plane is in the air) Now I have to remove only the 2 screws from the wing and wing comes off. With extensions on ail and flaps, they don't even have to be disconnected, just place the wing alongside the fuse.

Rob
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pulsar 3.2E Competition Pro
Old Mar 05, 2011, 03:37 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,318 Posts
Anyone have anhedral with this plane? Mine has had it but it doesn't affect flight performance at all. Just curious. Also, my dog tagged the back end of the fuse ripping it near clean off. A dab of CA and she was back in the air good as new.

Love this little plane!
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 05, 2011, 09:26 PM
Alameda, CA
Joined Dec 2006
2,924 Posts
I just posted this today over in the classifieds, but perhaps it might do some good here as well.

http://shop.tomsrc.com/product_info....oducts_id=2772

$159.99, if you sign up for the free membership - the best price I've seen. I think he charges $2.95 for shipping.

I'm sure the components aren't the best, but considering this comes rx-ready and includes flaps, it is really a pretty good deal.

I think he has three in stock.

Steve
sgomes is offline Find More Posts by sgomes
Old Mar 06, 2011, 02:12 PM
Joined Nov 2006
449 Posts
That's a pretty good deal. I picked mine up at a LHS in the San Fernando Valley and paid $139.95. plus tax.

So far, the quality of everything on my Corvalis seems very good. All the electronics work well and everything functions as it should. The motor does look a bit on the inexpensive side, but it is a smooth runner and puts out plenty of power for the airframe. Mine does have a tendency to roll to the left but trim corrects that. Still, I am checking for any warps and misalignments that might be causing this. The flaps work very well, but do seem a bit wavy to me. I might stiffen them up a bit with some CF. Also, the ESC likes to migrate from place to place in the battery compartment. Fastening that down would make getting the battery in and out easier.

This is a great flying airplane and a real looker at the field. Thumbs up all around!
Old Mar 06, 2011, 02:51 PM
USA, NY, Depew
Joined Jan 2009
800 Posts
I got both of mine ready. One is stock, the other slightly modded.
Next step is to improve the lights with LED strips and my design controller.
After the fire on my first one, now I have external BEC in both of them.
I used strips of velcro to hold the esc and bec on the sides of engine compartment.
Love to fly it of the snow with skis.
Plane is lots of fun and looks great in the sky.
Flaps work great. With little elevator mixed in, it will hang in the air. If there is a wind it will climb and with no throttle will even move backwards.

Rob
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pulsar 3.2E Competition Pro
Old Mar 06, 2011, 04:09 PM
Alameda, CA
Joined Dec 2006
2,924 Posts
Fravits, wow that was a GREAT deal. Are they still offering it for that price?

On the fence, and I only live 30 mins from Tom's. They are 99% mail order, so if you pick up yourself, they eat the tax.

Hmmmm, so many planes, so little time........to hide them from HER!!

Steve
Old Mar 06, 2011, 10:52 PM
Joined Nov 2006
449 Posts
Yes, they have them in stock and seem to be maintaining that price. A really good deal! In my case, as long as they are all white foam, "She" doesn't know the difference!
Old Mar 07, 2011, 03:34 PM
Alameda, CA
Joined Dec 2006
2,924 Posts
I pm'ed you, but would you mind sharing the name of the LHS where you bought yours.

Thanks.

Steve