Fravits is online now Find More Posts by Fravits
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:15 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,847 Posts
Quick note:
As I mentioned, it'll be a couple weeks before I can check the 'final component' - the AnyLink system - and wanted to keep comms open with Tower/Hobbico rather'n suffer any consequences from delayed reporting of the status quo. Just got off the horn with 'em about 15 minutes ago, they said don't sweat returning the suspect unit, and they're sending me another replacement 'loaded fuse'! Despite my saying I'd gladly pick up the expense of returning the 1st replacement. I swear, you just couldn't beg for better customer service than what this outfit provides!! Didn't want to let it pass without at least crowing in their favor a bit.

Hell-ooooooo, CHINA!! You listenin'??
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:38 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarsmythejr View Post
Here is a video we made today of my Corvalis with the motor upgrade. Love the new performance.
Hey Yarsmy!
Brainpoot here....I just remembered your video above was about your upgraded motor. I wanted to ask how'd you handle the removal of the stocker & re-mounting of the Suppco. Did you perchance detail it in here anywhere? Got any good closeup photos of the process that you'd share? I didn't look very deeply but 1350Kv is the only version I saw - is that the one you used? Same ESC & prop? See? I'm just full of questions. And other stuff.

If push comes to shove & this 3rd one don't work out, I'll likely go that way myself.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:31 PM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,734 Posts
Star-

The construction and photos are a few posts back. It wasn't a simple swap out. I had to build a motor mount and get creative on the screw holes. If you're up to it, I think the results are worth it.

-Lee
YarSmythe is offline Find More Posts by YarSmythe
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:58 AM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fravits View Post
Mine always seems to want to roll to the left. easy to trim out, but it results in a very sluggish roll rate to the right. I have checked for warps, misalignment, and a dragging flap, and all have checked out OK.
Have you checked for lateral balance? Maybe adding a small amount of weight to the right wing tip would help.

Also, if you trim it mechanically (moving the push rods), rather than on the transmitter, you should be able to get more even throws in each direction.
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No
Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:52 AM
United States, MS, Picayune
Joined Dec 2011
162 Posts
Tower has quietly lowered the prices on the Corvalis and Select Scale Cub irresistably low. Since this is a Corvalis thread, guess which one will be joining my Sensei and pair of 182's...

The first (and only) planned mod will be changing the factory wheels/tires for some appropriate rubber ones.
mds47588 is offline Find More Posts by mds47588
Old Nov 21, 2012, 04:20 PM
R/C Airplane n00b ; )
United States, NC, Greensboro
Joined Nov 2011
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mds47588 View Post
Tower has quietly lowered the prices on the Corvalis and Select Scale Cub irresistably low. Since this is a Corvalis thread, guess which one will be joining my Sensei and pair of 182's...

The first (and only) planned mod will be changing the factory wheels/tires for some appropriate rubber ones.
Yep!! I just ordered the Cessna Corvalis from Tower Hobbies TxRdy with AnyLink ! Also used the $20 off coupon and with sale price of $139.98 .. free shipping! $119.98.. just can't beat that!!

cTrain2kx is offline Find More Posts by cTrain2kx
Old Nov 21, 2012, 05:58 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,847 Posts
IIRC that's what I paid for mine except I additionally had a couple $10 off coupons I won at a fly in. That was for the 'Tx-R' version & the special included the AnyLink system module.

The thing that kinda confuses me is, Tower apparently 'plays games' with the pricing(S) too! I just received a new 'Tower Talk' catalog in yesterday's mail - that same plane is shown for $225! Couldn't believe my eyes & thought "WTH! - is everything fixing to go crazy-high on pricing?" This after seeing what BH did recently - price jumps of like 46%.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:55 PM
Joined Dec 2011
162 Posts
Any sucessful business has to make money without exception. With that being said, we're able to purchase a "large" plane for really not much more than a micro and with the Corvalis RTF the battery, receiver, TRANSMITTER...etc is included.

Makes me wonder just how much of a mark-up they've got on their products...???
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:32 AM
Flyr John in Floyd VA
United States, VA, Floyd
Joined Nov 2007
531 Posts
Sorry if this is repetitive, but I love this plane! Just got back in from flying two packs, after a repair job on the front gear. She flies beautifully, if a trifle underpowered. Looks wonderful in the air. With the flaps deployed, makes the greatest looking 3 point landings possible! Slow approach that makes everything easy.

John
jhark37 is offline Find More Posts by jhark37
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:49 PM
Blue Skies
United States, VA, Williamsburg
Joined May 2012
1,154 Posts
First flight with a plane & Corvie's maiden flight

I finally got thru all these pages and today took my Corvie out for its maiden flight. In the past 11 months I have picked up about 6 helos including 2 DH 9116s, a Blade 120SR and 3 V911s but this is my 1st and only plane. Got it 2 weeks ago and have been trying to make sure the first flight wasn't its last. It was great.

Spent lots of time on both FMS and RC Desk Pilot with a Dynam controller. I'm sure flying the helos helped too. I found a big empty parking lot at the county athletic park with fields all around and waited for a calm almost windless day. The CG must be too far aft but other than diving towards the ground a few times fooling around with flap control knob, it went very well. I got 3 solid smooth landings and one in the tall grass when I realized the battery wasn't going to get me back to the parking lot. Nice soft landing in the grass and no damage.

Way back in the late 70s I flew a used Pylon racer for about 15 secs that a squadron mate sold me. I glued it back together and got a 2nd flt for 15 secs and that's been the extent of my RC fixed wing experience till today. It really was fun. Now I'd better find a good 2nd battery so I don't have to come home so soon! So far the stock one seems to be the only one I've found with a SuperTigre connector.
Don
hifinsword is offline Find More Posts by hifinsword
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:54 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,847 Posts
Congrats on your successful maiden Don - and welcome to the fold!
The first 5 words of your second sentence in telling of your previous plane experience nearly made me choke on the Nab I was eating. And btw - you owe me for one screen cleaning!

For the rest o' the 'Club's' news -- when I got home today the box containing the 3rd (2nd replacement) Corvie fuse w/motor et al was on my back deck. Right under the eaves. Where today's rain couldn't miss it if it tried. *sigh*
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:26 AM
Joined Nov 2006
431 Posts
If you look at the bright side, Styrofoam does float.
Fravits is online now Find More Posts by Fravits
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:43 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,847 Posts
*LMAO*
And just as I got my dang screen clean!
(Sending you a bill)

News from the dark side: Electronics don't.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:55 AM
Joined Dec 2011
162 Posts
Well...

I got my Corvails, assembled it and then when I plugged in a charged battery the lights worked and nearly as soon as the receiver was bound to the transmitter and even before I could get the plane re-assembled...it died.

Checked all the connections, double checked...and then just to be sure triple checked 'em. Most likely the ESC I suspect.

More to follow...too early to call Tower Hobbies now.