SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 16, 2011, 05:56 PM
Joined Dec 2009
93 Posts
Maiden flight..sort of

I took it out to a large open parking lot at a nearby lake. Wind was steady about 8-10 mph, not gusting so I felt it was fine. The parking is at least 800 ft unobstructed, so I had lots of room. I was using a 4s 30c 2200 mah battery. When I checked the CG, it was about 8 mm forward of recommended. I decided to keep it as is to make it as stable as possible for the first flight. As I wrote before, I set the LE of the stabs down a bit for some built in nose-up trim. The one in the BH video had much more, as well as both ailerons were up too. I attributed this to the high alpha passes Pete was doing.. I was wrong.

I had full rates on the ELEV with 125% travel adjustment. I set the AIL to low rates set at 60%. I had all the armament attached cause I wanted a very draggy high powered approach for the landing portion.

Acceleration was good and I started my rotation after about 300 ft. Nothing happened.. At nearly full aft stick it popped off the ground to about 3 feet with slight right bank. I had mentally prepared myself to set it back down if I wasn't happy with the flight characteristics, which is why I chose this monstrosity of a runway. So that's what I did. I still had about 1/3 of the pavement left and it settled back down nicely.

Well, now I'm at opposite end of the 800 ft parking area so it made it hard to judge it's speed and exactly how close it was getting to the curb. I was on high rates for the rudder and ended up tipping it over on one side to avoid getting too close to the curb at the end. The sidewinder missile is no longer a threat to the enemy. And the AMRAAM under that wing will also go to the bone yard. The worst damage was a crease/break about 4 inches from the wing tip. I'll definitely put those carbon spars in now.

My advice. Get the CG closer to recommended (but in no case aft). Take the armament off for 1st flight since who know what kind of interference drag they are causing. And finally, set you control surfaces to mirror the one in the BH video. You can see them in the last few minutes when he's demoing the TV.

I'll make the repairs and adjustments and try again tomorrow. Weather permitting. Good luck.
nowires is offline Find More Posts by nowires
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2011, 06:14 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
thanks for the post nowires.
I was plannign to fly without the TV on for my first flight just to see the movement
sure it's should be a twitchy plane with TV on so I"m going to use some expo too on the aileron and elevator since they are huges moving surfaces.

I was planning to go with 80mm CG but thanks for your advice I will go according to the manual at 85mm going to set it up now. I also didn't put any armament on
I will let you know of my maiden tomorrow
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Feb 17, 2011, 07:20 PM
birmingham Al.
Joined Aug 2005
1,197 Posts
Mine was delivered today.I'm glad I got this one .Its a lot bigger than I thought ,its very close to the hobby lobby super scale 80 mm. one . any way its a great buy for the buck.
killer vtwin is offline Find More Posts by killer vtwin
Old Feb 17, 2011, 08:10 PM
SoCal
Joined Nov 2007
457 Posts
Well, I'm waiting for a flight report before I conclude it's a great buy
tshiah is offline Find More Posts by tshiah
Old Feb 18, 2011, 10:59 AM
Joined Dec 2009
93 Posts
Pavcon..

Did you maiden it? Mine is all ready to go, but very nasty weather here and I'm out of town for the next few days. I added a total of 1 oz (28 grams) of weight to the tail to get the CG correct. To do this, I cut off the last 1/4 inch of the fuselage on each side just inside of each stab. I inserted two 1/4 oz weights inside the foam on each side (4 total), then glued the end pieces back on.

I also glued a carbon tube into each wing about an 1 1/2 inches back of the leading edges. Now the wings are nice and stiff.

The drop tanks and AMRAAM missiles are repaired and painted, but I'm still working on the replacement Sidewinders for the wingtips.

I'll attempt the re-maiden again next week.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 12:47 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
yes Ive maidened it yesterday and boy was I dissappointed.. I needed like 1/2 way trim aileron to fly straight and full elevator it would still dive. I was glad I landed her safely. Btw the flight was with TV disabled
Then I came home and made some adjustments the ailerons needed some hardware trim from the pushrods. did that and also had them a 2-3mm down on neutral to create more lift (something like flaps) I also put a coat of epoxy on the elevators where the plastic is joined with the foam part of the elevator. its still flexes a lot though
I also added (didn' thave weights) two computer screws to the tail. With the battery I'm using the nanotech 2200mah I had to place the pack as back as it could go in the battery compartment.. Still need some weight to the back or carve some foam so that I can place the battery 5mm back. anw CG was closer to 85mm but not spot on

So I went to the field today again and had 2 flights with her
MUCH BETTER.. Btw yes you were right about the cg.. this plane would love to go at 85mm or even 87 or88 from leading edge .
oh forgot to mention that I also trimmed the TV nozzle to give more up. that worked just fine
I let her roll about 90 feet and pulled a little back and there she went.. still needed some up trim but nothing like the first flight.. just 2 or 3 clicks. then after getting used to it I flipped the TV switch on my DX8.. ok I didn't know what I was doing.. but it was Fun

roll rate is gooood.. at some point It was like she sad in mid air without moving..
I'm starting to like this plane.. BTW still nothing on the armament is on her
I'm sure the armament contributes to get the CG better with the bahnets on the missiles sitting behind the CG point

well
conclussion is that TV planes are very very sensitive to even the minor trims..
I did a couple of downwind passes and the speed was acceptable but still I want more. I sent an email to edfhobbies cause I want the cyclone power turbojet. well tha's some good power out of a 64mm. 1200g of static thrust. unfortunately I needed to send the e-mail because they charge me 84usd for priority mail... THAT;s WROOONg. I buy ehole planes from US and they are send here with 45usd.. the whole box.. there is no way shipping costs is as high as $84 so I'm waiting for their answer.

Now I forgot to mention abou thte landings.. have you noticed that they are super easy..?? you can come nearly dead stick and she will land smoothly. Even on my second flight where I was comming hot she just touched down and rolled down the runway with no problems at all

Now another change I want to do before I upgrade is the ESC programming.. it's got hard voltage cut off. I was rolling to come back after my 1st flight and she just stopped.. I thought that I burned the ESC but it was the LVC that kicked in at 15.2v it kicks in and leaves me with no throttle at all
Now... I need to find that ESC programming chart.. hmmm any ideas?
Old Feb 18, 2011, 01:43 PM
Joined Dec 2009
93 Posts
Nice flight review..

My ESC failed during my bench test.. Since it's so cheap, the throttle limits were way off and I couldn't program it (while it was still working), I replaced it with a 40 AMP towerpro one I had, and it works great. And I can program the voltage cutoffs.

This same model is sold under the Starmax brand with different (better?) electronics.

I also didn't like the play in the elevators/stabs and can see how it could cause some sloppy flight characteristics. I CAed the control arm to the plastic rod, but there was still some for and aft play due to the flexibility of the plastic parts. So I cut two small squares of balsa and glued them on the fuselage just behind the holes where the elevator arms/rods insert. I sanded them down to the right height where the elevators slide against them, but not enough to bind. Now they are nice and tight with very little play.

I'll try it out next week...
Old Feb 18, 2011, 01:49 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowires View Post
Nice flight review..

My ESC failed during my bench test.. Since it's so cheap, the throttle limits were way off and I couldn't program it (while it was still working), I replaced it with a 40 AMP towerpro one I had, and it works great. And I can program the voltage cutoffs.

This same model is sold under the Starmax brand with different (better?) electronics.

I also didn't like the play in the elevators/stabs and can see how it could cause some sloppy flight characteristics. I CAed the control arm to the plastic rod, but there was still some for and aft play due to the flexibility of the plastic parts. So I cut two small squares of balsa and glued them on the fuselage just behind the holes where the elevator arms/rods insert. I sanded them down to the right height where the elevators slide against them, but not enough to bind. Now they are nice and tight with very little play.

I'll try it out next week...
Can you post a picture of that mod?
Old Feb 18, 2011, 01:51 PM
Joined Dec 2009
93 Posts
Oh yeah.. I also noticed that my TV nozzle was glued in slightly rotated in order to have access to the control linkage. This causes the vertical TV movement to actually go up and right, and down and left.. I can see the making for some interesting aerobatics.. I just used mixing to counteract this while TV is turned on..
Old Feb 18, 2011, 01:53 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
nice can't wait for the picture.. I was thinking of gluein g in the elevators make some pushrods of my own and cut the elevators in two and create a moving surface using the extra hinges I found in the box
Old Feb 18, 2011, 01:58 PM
Joined Dec 2009
93 Posts
Here the elevator mod.. Try this before you build your own..
Old Feb 18, 2011, 02:19 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
did that fix the flexing?
Old Feb 18, 2011, 02:25 PM
Joined Dec 2009
93 Posts
yes.. works great..
Old Feb 18, 2011, 07:06 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
im thinking of buying an extra set of elevators. Convert the shafts to carbon rod and drill them to eliminate flexing...
+ thicker pushrods
Old Feb 18, 2011, 10:35 PM
SoCal
Joined Nov 2007
457 Posts
So it looks like this jet won't fly very well stock? I'm not looking to have to make a lot of mods.

I already have 3 of those Jpower 50mm jets. I'm debating either getting this or another of the 50mm series...?
tshiah is offline Find More Posts by tshiah