HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:58 AM
Mike
United States, TX, Dickinson
Joined Mar 2003
1,107 Posts
So you don't fly off a runway? No nose wheel steering? How does this thing come assembled from the factory? Does it need lots of balancing from the factory?

Also, how is the nose wheel hooked to the rudder servo? Picture please.

I worked the EPO out to get the fan all the way to the back. Not much, maybe 3mm all the way around. I'm going to coat the inside with epoxy to strengthen it back there.
mmatheny is offline Find More Posts by mmatheny
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2012, 08:15 PM
Central Maryland
Joined Apr 2008
229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmatheny View Post
So you don't fly off a runway? No nose wheel steering? How does this thing come assembled from the factory? Does it need lots of balancing from the factory?

Also, how is the nose wheel hooked to the rudder servo? Picture please.

I worked the EPO out to get the fan all the way to the back. Not much, maybe 3mm all the way around. I'm going to coat the inside with epoxy to strengthen it back there.
I do not use the gear so that is why I could move the rudder servo towards the back. No gear helps remove weight and looks 100% better flying.
VIDEOPRO is offline Find More Posts by VIDEOPRO
Old Sep 07, 2012, 12:35 AM
Joined Oct 2006
163 Posts
Blocking The cheater hole under the gear

Well I tried a taxi run with my 64mm F16 with TV, on a ball diamond. Looked like it had enough juice to lift when all of a sudden I heard kind of like a spiting noise followed by a winding noise. I cut the throttle off in a split second. Look inside the thrust tube no fan blades. Further investigation, pieces of plastic and some small rocks imbedded in thrust tube foam. Replaced fan and ran setup to see how much air is flowing through cheater hole. Major airflow, major vacuum, major hassle. I don't see how you can avoid ingesting unless you run off a paved runway. Hand launching may work, but the bottom fins will get knocked out on landing. Would blocking the cheater hole impede the performance. Anyone have experience with this issue.
MitchDigger is offline Find More Posts by MitchDigger
Old Sep 07, 2012, 08:58 AM
Mike
Joined Mar 2003
1,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoshade View Post
Carve out foam to move the battery and the ESC back a little (& add ~1 oz of weight to the tail if you remove the landing gear) to get the CG back around 90-92mm from the leading edge of the wing, .
My manual says 85mm from the leading edge for CG! Why the difference?
Old Sep 07, 2012, 12:18 PM
Joined Oct 2006
163 Posts
The reason I got this jet

The selling feature of this F16 for me was full moving elevators. Well the elev setup is kind of sloppy and with the cheater on the bottom there are a lot of disadvantages. The TV I'm starting to feel is pointless. I'm starting to look at an Airfield F16 by nitroplanes, I think that will suit my taste better. I guess it's bye bye full moving elevators.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 06:15 PM
Central Maryland
Joined Apr 2008
229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchDigger View Post
Well I tried a taxi run with my 64mm F16 with TV, on a ball diamond. Looked like it had enough juice to lift when all of a sudden I heard kind of like a spiting noise followed by a winding noise. I cut the throttle off in a split second. Look inside the thrust tube no fan blades. Further investigation, pieces of plastic and some small rocks imbedded in thrust tube foam. Replaced fan and ran setup to see how much air is flowing through cheater hole. Major airflow, major vacuum, major hassle. I don't see how you can avoid ingesting unless you run off a paved runway. Hand launching may work, but the bottom fins will get knocked out on landing. Would blocking the cheater hole impede the performance. Anyone have experience with this issue.
I have blocked off my original cheater holes and made 4 smaller round holes closer to the fan unit. I also hand launch and belly land mine. I have also did rid of the thrust vectoring as it was not needed. As for the bottom fins I use magnets to hold them on and when I land they just pop right off. I did mount the elevators and just use the trailing edge for surface control as I kept breaking them off during grass landings. No problems after all the mods and it does fly pretty good. I like mine!
VIDEOPRO is offline Find More Posts by VIDEOPRO
Old Sep 07, 2012, 06:30 PM
Joined Oct 2006
163 Posts
Slowly trying to accept my purchase

Thanks for the feedback Videopro.
Since my last post I installed screening over the cheat hole and did a full throttle up for a good min to see if it would work. The screen stayed on, so I'm partly on the way to getting somewhere. I would really like to figure something to stop the slop on the elevator. Also the fan I have on is not balanced. I removed about 1/4 inch of foam in front of the steering linkage and glued a popsicle stick. This allows me to move the batt up a bit. I'm contemplating another taxi trial run.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 09:02 AM
Blade mSR freak
Irish Hills - SE Michigan
Joined Jan 2010
2,054 Posts
Ducted fans and rocks are a bad combination. Ball diamonds and un-swept parking lots will destroy your fan blades quickly. My F-18 picks up rocks 2 inches below the intakes.
hydro_pyro is offline Find More Posts by hydro_pyro
Old Sep 10, 2012, 01:48 PM
Mike
Joined Mar 2003
1,107 Posts
Radio setup - I have a Futaba 7CHP and an 8 channel RX. How do I hook up the servos (Y's etc) and how do I set up the programming? I futzed around with the P-Mix last night, and was unable to get a 1:1 mix (when I move say the rudder servo, I want the slave servo to move the same amount each way - however, on the slave I was able to get 100% move one way, but very little the other way, and the servo wasn't centered same as the master.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:11 AM
Mike
Joined Mar 2003
1,107 Posts
How do you mount the servos?
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:06 PM
United States, IN, Newburgh
Joined Dec 2007
51 Posts
BH F-16 64mm 3D EDF

To anyone still interested in this airplane I would offer that this is really a great jet. I still fly mine on the windier days when some of my lighter airplanes get bounced around. I had to do the a lot of the "Mods" listed here in this thread just to get it off the ground. These mods were done early last year when I first got the airplane.

It is a great flyer really, if you have the desire and the talents to work through some issues. However, like all "Vintage Foam".., if you crack it up you'll have a hard time getting spare parts. Enjoy It if you get one......., Fly It if you have one.

Mine flies on a 4s2200 with a 70mm BH stock EDF...full cockpit, 1000ah EBEC and battery, Electric retracts, armament, Battery Cooling ducts, paint and soon to add light kit....All Up Flying Weight for this jet with all of these penalties is: 1660 grams. And Yes...it Does Fly Well. Enjoy
Bobaroo is offline Find More Posts by Bobaroo
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:24 PM
EDF Junkie
San Antonio, TX
Joined Jul 2010
470 Posts
Bobaroo,

Nice job on that cockpit dude!
FoamJunkE is offline Find More Posts by FoamJunkE
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:25 AM
United States, IN, Newburgh
Joined Dec 2007