HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2011, 02:23 AM
SoCal
Joined Nov 2007
457 Posts
So no one has flown it yet?

Anyone going to hand launch?

I'm debating getting this vs. another one of those Jpower 50mm jets...
tshiah is offline Find More Posts by tshiah
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2011, 03:52 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
i got both. Im going to maiden her tomorrow... As for the 50mm ones its a complete different story. Especially with 4s packs
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Feb 16, 2011, 10:27 AM
Joined Dec 2009
93 Posts
Pavcon,

Please let us know how it goes. Mine has been ready for two days, but the weather isn't cooperating. I especially want to know if there's any wing flex. They are a bit bendy on the bench and I'm thinking of running a carbon tube down each wing from the root. On the other hand, since lift is generated across the whole wing when airborne, it may be just fine.

I also noted alot of up elevator trim in the BH demo video. Then I saw an outline for the stab molded on the fuselage. By matching the stab to it, it set some nose up trim more in line with the video. To get this position without using ELEV trim (which would also raise the ailerons) I un-screwed each clevis. However, this put them to close to the end of the pushrod. So, I reset the servo arms one notch over and problem solved.

One rookie mistake I made. Although I powered up each servo before assembly, I neglected to remove and center the servo arms in the wings. One was off requiring subtrim on my transmitter to fix.

Also, check each stab servo. They are only glued at the bottom and don't fit snugly on each side. They will work loose if not secured. I just glued a thin piece of balsa on each side.

Next problem to tackle is right rudder. It pushes the thin push-rod (left is the pull side) and bows it. I think it's partly due to the length of the push-rod and partly due to how stiff the control surface it. Hence, right rudder (as well as right nose wheel steering)has less throw than left. I'll try to loosen it up or cut it and install the hinges. Or just rely on the TV.

Mine didn't come with a pilot.. So it's a UAV...

Jeez.. I think I'm over-thinking a $100 plane... Must be the rain...
nowires is offline Find More Posts by nowires
Old Feb 16, 2011, 10:55 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
yeah... When i cant fly for too long i get in deep thoughts too to be honest i havent encountered so many probs and the only servo that required a lot of sub trim was the tv-rudder servo. the only thing im worried abou is the two elevators where they are glued to the plastic shaft that goes into the fuse. I will apply a thin coat of epoxy there for better security. And also those red servos do not center well at all..... Ans i really wonder why starmax put red servos on a black scheme plane :/. They must havehad tons of those left
Old Feb 16, 2011, 11:17 AM
Joined Dec 2009
93 Posts
Pavco.. Just noticed where you are located.. I spent some time at Akrotiri in a previous life.. Very nice there..
nowires is offline Find More Posts by nowires
Old Feb 16, 2011, 11:26 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
oh at unf
Its time to visit us again in this life then. And you will have a roof above your head too...
Old Feb 16, 2011, 12:10 PM
Joined Jul 2006
547 Posts
Yes please let us know how the maiden goes. Mine is basically all together, just waiting on an impeller which will hopefully come this week.
wavo is offline Find More Posts by wavo
Old Feb 16, 2011, 12:32 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
I got 3 2200mah packs left. I'm gonna try the first one with TV off. btw has anyone done any ground testing.. mine only pulls 34amps :/ at 518 watts

EDIT: sorry make that 38amps and 574watts on the turnigy nanotech 45c-90c
Old Feb 16, 2011, 04:32 PM
Joined Jul 2006
547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
EDIT: sorry make that 38amps and 574watts on the turnigy nanotech 45c-90c

This is good news! The Hobby Lobby F-16 I had pulled only 540 watts on 40amps....so the BH F-16this should be enough watts to have decent performance. From the video it looks fairly quick.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 04:59 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
wavo take into consideration that I have a balanced fan
Old Feb 16, 2011, 05:09 PM
Joined Jul 2006
547 Posts
Quote:
wavo take into consideration that I have a balanced fan
Taken.

Are you saying my fan is unbalanced?!
Old Feb 16, 2011, 05:19 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
no I'm saying that my fan blown up on the first test on the first second. and Ive found a replacement from a local hobby shop costed me 40usd just for a fan and balanced it there to fly till my replacement from BH will come.

anw you can balance yours too.. it's getting more efficient
Old Feb 16, 2011, 05:29 PM
Joined Jul 2006
547 Posts
Quote:
no I'm saying that my fan blown up on the first test on the first second. and Ive found a replacement from a local hobby shop costed me 40usd just for a fan and balanced it there to fly till my replacement from BH will come.

anw you can balance yours too.. it's getting more efficient
I hear ya, my fan blew up as well. Still waiting for a replacement. Although I received two 64mm EDF units in the mail today for a different plane, I might just stick one of those in the F-16. Also I have a balancer coming this week so I plan on using it for sure!
Old Feb 16, 2011, 05:33 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavo View Post
This is good news! The Hobby Lobby F-16 I had pulled only 540 watts on 40amps....so the BH F-16this should be enough watts to have decent performance. From the video it looks fairly quick.
what was HLf-16 Flying weight though ? ? ?
Old Feb 16, 2011, 05:34 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavo View Post
I hear ya, my fan blew up as well. Still waiting for a replacement. Although I received two 64mm EDF units in the mail today for a different plane, I might just stick one of those in the F-16. Also I have a balancer coming this week so I plan on using it for sure!
btw the fan I bought and the LHS ripped me off it's exactly the same as the stock fan :P