HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2011, 01:24 PM
Joined Jul 2006
547 Posts
I just received this kit yesterday and started putting it together. Everything was going well but with all the numbered wires it was a little confusing as to what goes where in the receiver, the manual does not tell you at all!

I was in the middle of figuring it out when I accidentally blipped the throttle and the thing came to life, I'm not sure what happened but after a terrible crunching sound while the motor was running I found out that 2 of the blades of the impeller have been sheered off

boo.

Not sure if it sucked up a screw or had a wobble or what.

I tried to replace the 64mm impeller with another one I had but the shaft sizes were all different. Does anyone know what size this one will take? I want to get the thing in the air, and I'm dying to put the watt meter on it and see what the stock motor/power system can pull.

I too think that for $104 it's a great price, the foam feels sturdier than the Hobby Lobby f-16 that I had (RIP).
wavo is offline Find More Posts by wavo
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2011, 05:02 PM
Too many numbers
United States, OH, Troy
Joined Oct 2010
1,224 Posts
Wavo, call BH and tell them what happened. They'll send you a new one. They did for me with a 50mm fan.
c131frdave is offline Find More Posts by c131frdave
Old Feb 10, 2011, 07:57 PM
Joined Dec 2009
93 Posts
Air Force Gray Version

I ordered it Friday and it arrived Wednesday.. Total cost with CA taxes and shipping $131. It looks great. The foam is very dense. It was well packaged complete with all necessary hardware. It even included a bag of small pivoting round hinges for the ailerons and rudder if the foam ever fails. All the servos were securely installed. The magnets for the canopy and ordinance have tape over them, but they appear to be glued in place as well. For now, I'll let them be. I'm very impressed so far.

The first thing I did was to remove the bottom (6 screws) and pull all the packing tape off that was over the ESC and wiring. I'll secure these in place using a thin foam board cover for the wiring channel, and cut a cover out of modelers plastic (with air vent) for the ESC.

Next, I put an aluminum sleeve over the pushrod from the pitch TV servo to the nozzle. It sits inside a foam channel when the bottom is on, but it still has room to be bow a bit without it.

I tested all the servos and they are working fine. Speaking of which, each aileron servo is y connected to the servo for the all moving stab on the same side. So one goes into the receivers ELEV channel and the other into the AIL channel, then set up your elevons. I use a DX6i. There is one servo for TV yaw and one for TV pitch. I put the pitch TV into the AUX channel and set up a MIX with the Elevator. I used another y harness (not supplied) to connect the yaw TV servo along with the single rudder/nose wheel steering servo into the RUD channel. Luckily, the yaw TV servo is installed correctly with the rudder as is. Still very impressed with this plane.

Tonight, I'll take a stab at statically balancing the EDF rotor. I know, for this price, the electronics are not optimal. But I've been using cheap Chinese components in my scratch built faomies with great success. I'll run everything hard before putting it in the air and keep my fingers crossed. I'll also put a watt meter on it after I get it balanced to see what it draws.

So far, I can't believe how nice this is for the money.. If it flies well, BH will be getting some more orders from my flying buddies. This thing looks awesome..
nowires is offline Find More Posts by nowires
Last edited by nowires; Feb 11, 2011 at 09:22 AM.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 11:29 PM
Joined Jul 2006
547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowires View Post
I ordered it Friday and it arrived Wednesday.. Total cost with CA taxes and shipping $131. It looks great. The foam is very dense. It was well packaged complete with all necessary hardware. It even included a bag of small pivoting round hinges for the ailerons and rudder if the foam ever fails. All the servos were securely installed. The magnets for the canopy and ordinance have tape over them, but they appear to be glued in place as well. For now, I'll let them be. I'm very impressed so far.

The first thing I did was to remove the bottom (6 screws) and pull all the packing tape off that was over the ESC and wiring. I'll secure these in place using a thin foam board cover for the wiring channel, and cut a cover out of modelers plastic (with air vent) for the ESC.

Next, I put an aluminum sleeve over the pushrod from the pitch TV servo to the nozzle. It sits inside a foam channel when the bottom is on, but it still has room to be bow a bit without it.

I tested all the servos and they are working fine. Speaking of which, each aileron servo is y connected to the servo for the all moving stab on the same side. So one goes into the receivers ELEV channel and the other into the AIL channel, then set up your elevons. I use a DX6i. There is one servo for TV yaw and one for TV pitch. I put the pitch TV into the AUX channel and set up a MIX with the Elevator. I used another y harness (not supplied) to connect the yaw TV servo along with the single rudder/nose wheel steering into the RUD channel. Luckily, the yaw TV servo is installed correctly with the rudder as is. Still very impressed with this plane.

Tonight, I'll take a stab at statically balancing the EDF rotor. I know, for this price, the electronics are not optimal. But I've been using cheap Chinese components in my scratch built faomies with great success. I'll run everything hard before putting it in the air and keep my fingers crossed. I'll also put a watt meter on it after I get it balanced to see what it draws.

So far, I can't believe how nice this is for the money.. If it flies well, BH will be getting some more orders from my flying buddies. This thing looks awesome..
Thanks for doing all this, I was in the processing of figuring out where to plug everything in to.
since my impeller broke can you put the bird on a watt meter? I'm curious what it pulls.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 03:33 PM
Joined Jul 2006
547 Posts
Hopefully I'll have everything together soon. Banana Hobby wrote me back today along with a tracking number for the new impeller they're sending me...awesome news!
Old Feb 11, 2011, 04:49 PM
No more Screamer
USA, MN, Eagle Lake
Joined Jan 2004
677 Posts
BZ 16 parts

Pete
when you going to have parts available for this thing ? I really need a canopy but you never have the parts in stock .... love what you are doing but spare PARTS are a must
Steve
57_KID is offline Find More Posts by 57_KID
Last edited by 57_KID; Feb 11, 2011 at 04:50 PM. Reason: forgot a word
Old Feb 11, 2011, 08:34 PM
Joined Dec 2009
93 Posts
Mine is mostly assembled.. I tried to remove the EDF rotor to balance it, but it was on so tight (maybe glued) that I didn't want to chance breaking it, so I left it as is. When I ran it, it sounded fine and no vibration.

Lots of small mods that I feel are typical of an ARF. Overall, everything fits very well with the help of a bit of sandpaper. The canopy magnets are CRAZY STRONG.. Really no need for battery straps if you install it on it's side.. NOTHING is going to force the canopy off..

So I ran it full power. I used a brand new, just charged GEFORCE 2200 MAH 4S 30C from Valuehobby.com. (Great USA located site, fast flat rate shipping of $3.99 no matter the size of the order). Full power pulled 38.1 amps with lots of power. If the ESC can actually handle 45 AMPS, then it's a good power match.

Time will tell..
Old Feb 12, 2011, 09:18 AM
No more Screamer
USA, MN, Eagle Lake
Joined Jan 2004
677 Posts
nowires
i just ordered 2 canopies from BH ( i think that they will work out )2 canopies 9.00 shipping 16.50 priceless, I will for sure check out your guy , thanks for posting
Steve
57_KID is offline Find More Posts by 57_KID
Old Feb 13, 2011, 08:58 AM
Joined Dec 2009
93 Posts
EDF Problem

So yesterday afternoon I finished all the cosmetic assembly. I'd already set up my radio and now I prepared to run a full pack through it on the bench. The first item of note is my throttle end points are way off. Full throttle is at about 1/2. Easy to adjust if only there were ESC programming instructions. Anyway, I pressed on.

The EDF ran fine. I was varying the throttle and checking for any vibration issues. I had my timer set for 3 minutes. Just after the 2 minute point, a screeching then loud vibration occurred. I shut it down an took off the bottom to inspect the EDF. I could see that the rotor had started to back off and had contacted the side of the housing. Ouch.. So now I pulled the entire pre-installed EDF and motor out for a better look. It was just glued in at the bottom half and came off easily. I gave the rotor a small tug and it came off in my hand ALONG WITH THE ADAPTER still securely attached to the rotor! ! There are two allen screws that secure the adapter to the shaft. They were installed but only about 3/4s in ready to be tightened by the factory worker. I'm just glad the rotor didn't exit the housing..

Even worse, I took the adapter out of the rotor and put it back on the motor and gave it a quick run to see if all that was ruined was the EDF itself. The incident had bent the motor shaft and now it had a wobble. So now a need a whole new unit.. No maiden flight now..

I should probably replace it and the ESC myself, but I've sent Banana Hobby an email to see what they will do for me. I need a new EDF and motor shaft at the very least. It's a factory error and not their direct fault, but I'll see how they handle it. The plane is beautiful none the less.

So.. Other BZ-16 owners.. This is a brand new production run so take the extra time to pull the EDF out, remove the rotor (easy to do once the unit is out of the plane) and check the 2 allen screws on the adapter as well as 2 more on the motor itself which hold the shaft in place. Then glue it back in with a little more piece of mind.

I still think this is an awesome deal and I'm assuming this is just an isolated incident from the factory. Somebody fly this thing and let us know how it does.
Last edited by nowires; Feb 13, 2011 at 11:05 AM.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 11:08 AM
Joined Dec 2009
93 Posts
further investigation

OK.. I found the wobble problem.. not the motor shaft.. it was the adapter.. I guess it's soft aluminum and no longer fits snugly on the shaft, hence the wobble.. I'll update BH support.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 08:24 AM
Joined Dec 2009
93 Posts
BZ-16 update

I was able to get the rotor adapter to work by re-seating the shaft down about 1/8 inch, then pressing the adapter down against the bearings while I tightened the set screws. Then reseated the shaft for for proper rotor-stator clearance. A quick run using a 3s battery showed it was straight (I still need a new adapter for the long term from BH).

So now it was time to reassemble and do a full power test. Full power on a 3s was fine. Then I went for a 4s. It ran for about 10 seconds before the ESC went kaput. Now when I connect the battery, the motor tones are barely audible and the motor just studders. Same on a 3s. I swapped the ESC for a towerpro 40A and it ran fine.

I wont even bother BH about it since I don't want to put another of the same ESC's in it. I did salvage the long motor wires, deans connectors and the BEC though.

So.. overall, check everything and beware of the ESC.. I'd maiden it today but it just started raining.. Oh well, need to do my taxes anyway..
Old Feb 14, 2011, 09:22 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
mine arrived today from BH.. I did an open box video but I got carried away and was looking at the pieces too much time each time and wasn't talking.. lol
that's a very good designed concidering that most of the parts can be unscrewd... Love At First S.
it's my first TV jet so I'm going to use my DX8 and program it to be able to enable and disable the TV feature
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Feb 14, 2011, 10:22 AM
Capt, USAF
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Feb 2009
919 Posts
I ordered one of these this last weekend - Too good a deal to pass up, judging by what has been said thus far. I have flown the 70mm Freewing F-16 from Hobby Lobby with thrust vectoring and it had incredible all-around performance out of the box. I'm hoping this one will be similar!

How much of this model is screwed together? Any common problems beginning to surface among the various builds?

On a small tangent - Pavcon, how do you like that DX8? I am probably going to take the plunge this week unless I can find a better radio for less money, and was wondering how yours has been working out. I loved my DX6i and hated the DX7, so I'm hoping the DX8 won't be a bust like the '7 was for me. I really like the inclusion of the scroll wheel and the strength of signal indicator that I've heard so much about! Can you give me a quick rundown on what you think about it - PM would be fine if you don't want to risk derailing the thread, but I think others could benefit from a short discussion as well!
Roswalt is offline Find More Posts by Roswalt
Old Feb 14, 2011, 10:26 AM
Too many numbers
United States, OH, Troy
Joined Oct 2010
1,224 Posts
Mine is still sitting here in the box next to my desk. I need to put it together but am working on another project. The sudden warm weather in the NE US is giving me the fever, however, so maybe I'll pull it out and put it together today. Need to get this other stuff done first though. She sure is nice to look at.
c131frdave is offline Find More Posts by c131frdave
Old Feb 14, 2011, 10:44 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roswalt View Post
I ordered one of these this last weekend - Too good a deal to pass up, judging by what has been said thus far. I have flown the 70mm Freewing F-16 from Hobby Lobby with thrust vectoring and it had incredible all-around performance out of the box. I'm hoping this one will be similar!

How much of this model is screwed together? Any common problems beginning to surface among the various builds?

On a small tangent - Pavcon, how do you like that DX8? I am probably going to take the plunge this week unless I can find a better radio for less money, and was wondering how yours has been working out. I loved my DX6i and hated the DX7, so I'm hoping the DX8 won't be a bust like the '7 was for me. I really like the inclusion of the scroll wheel and the strength of signal indicator that I've heard so much about! Can you give me a quick rundown on what you think about it - PM would be fine if you don't want to risk derailing the thread, but I think others could benefit from a short discussion as well!
The hole belly is a screw in and out. If BH carries parts for this plane ANY bad incident will be an easy fix. it's very easy to access and electronics this way even pass wires to replace servos and ME LIKEY THIS!!!

well... I will take the risk... from DX6i to DX8 it's a huge difference
and note that I love my DX6i also. Programming is even easier with the wing types shown.
THe 8 is like a new version of 6. Nothing near the 7 that most of my friends have. I'm sure you will love it too. All th switches are 3 point backlight and vibration alert features
You know .. there are so many things that I like about the 8 that I can't make a small review here. but As I said.. you are going to Love it. My DX6i looks so old fashioned now but I still have 10models bound on it and I don't intend to transfer them or sell the Tx. Btw I also upgraded my DX8 to DSMX and the copmatible/imitation receivers still work just fine on DSM2 mode.
i'm going to put an orangeRx AR6200 clone with it's satelite in the F-16. I'm very confident with those as Ive flown them beyond my eyesight. ofcourse a parkflyer will also be enough but you never know.. use my parkflyers to my mini 50mm jets and some other small prop alpha planes
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon