Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 18, 2011, 01:46 AM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Forbes View Post
Whatever, but what makes the Gentle Lady work is that almost everybody either has one or has had one. Even me
Dave
Whateverr.
Curare is offline Find More Posts by Curare
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2011, 01:58 PM
Joined Apr 2005
375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon View Post
My first RC plane ( 80's ) was a GL. It could thermal so well that it was hard to bring back down sometimes. My second was a Wanderer, didn't thermal quite as well but it was a little tougher.
A friend's GL stays up longer than my 72" Wanderer (I built it with a 2 piece wing), and yes, the Wanderer is tough - another friend who got me interested in gliders has repaired his Wanderer many times. Might have eventually totaled the GL if it had been his first glider instead of the Wanderer. Comparing the Gentle Lady kit to the Wanderer, I would consider the latter to be an easier build for the beginner.
HIR/Cer is offline Find More Posts by HIR/Cer
Old Mar 18, 2011, 03:28 PM
fa2
Joined Jan 2010
412 Posts
"Truthfully they both sucked compared to todays designs."

per mark miller

"sucked", really mark - can you not be more specific? i have a g lady and it flys very well - here's what i mean:

1) it has a low sink rate
2) it responds positively to control inputs
3) it's stable in a turn

etc
fa2 is online now Find More Posts by fa2
Old Mar 18, 2011, 11:20 PM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fa2 View Post
"Truthfully they both sucked compared to todays designs."

per mark miller

"sucked", really mark - can you not be more specific?
The key word is "compared." There is nothing the GL does that newer planes have not been designed to do better. There are planes that are lighter or heavier (depending on what is appropriate for conditions), more maneuverable, have a wider speed range, a lower sink rate, etc., etc.

The GL is what it is. It's a solid basic design, that is relatively inexpensive to build/buy. But that's really all it is.

Nightowl
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl