HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 07, 2011, 08:48 PM
Joined Sep 2009
33 Posts
Carl Goldberg was a great designer but the Gentle Lady was a rip off of Ed Slobods Pierce Aero the first sailplane he kitted. Also known as the Fierce Sparrow.
K3VO is offline Find More Posts by K3VO
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2011, 08:56 PM
Farmers Branch(Dallas) Texas
Joined Jan 2008
67 Posts
Fierce Sparrow

That was the first sailplane I built and learned to fly sailplanes with it, I believe it was 1978 or thereabout.
The first one got shotgunned out of the sky on a low approach over a wooded area. That is the truth!!! I guess the person hunting or whatever was attaracted by the transparent blue wing, probably resembled a Dove or high flying Blue quail!!
My second Pierce Arrow with transparent orange wing and tail feather is still out in the garage and can be made flyable with a bit of dusting off. Its pretty old, born in 1978 / 9 to 2011.
Alex
AlexK is offline Find More Posts by AlexK
Old Jan 07, 2011, 11:18 PM
Joined Jan 2009
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjensen View Post

If the GL is fun to fly. You should try flying a ship that has twice the speed envelope, twice the wing area with a much lower wing loading. Most new designs have much stronger wings and they can fly just as slow as the GL.

My vote for the best is still the Model A
Meh. I make it a policy never to throw more money at the sky than I'm willing to leave there. I've had some composite models and I don't really like them. Some do, and that's fine, but not my thing.

The GL (and other 2m woodies) have a sort of minimalist allure. A 2m and an upstart is the bamboo pole and earthworm of RC soaring. You can go smaller, you can go muchly fabulous-er, but there are subtle simple truths to the bamboo pole and earthworm. That's why they stick around while all the "you should try" stuff disappears after two or three seasons, isn't it?
upstart is offline Find More Posts by upstart
Old Jan 07, 2011, 11:26 PM
Jody Miller
Orlando, Fl
Joined Jun 2009
487 Posts
To all the guys saying "the Icon/Supra/Xplorer etc" is the best glider ever made, in twenty years we will look back and say, "man remember when the Supra was the hot ticket?"
"Yeah, ha ha what a pig" and then turn to a GL and still say, "now theres a cool model."
Jody-
sailjester2811 is online now Find More Posts by sailjester2811
Old Jan 08, 2011, 12:45 AM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstart View Post
Meh. I make it a policy never to throw more money at the sky than I'm willing to leave there. I've had some composite models and I don't really like them. Some do, and that's fine, but not my thing.

The GL (and other 2m woodies) have a sort of minimalist allure. A 2m and an upstart is the bamboo pole and earthworm of RC soaring. You can go smaller, you can go muchly fabulous-er, but there are subtle simple truths to the bamboo pole and earthworm. That's why they stick around while all the "you should try" stuff disappears after two or three seasons, isn't it?
The Zen of Sailplanes? (Works for me.)

Nightowl
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl
Old Jan 08, 2011, 03:40 PM
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Jan 2010
939 Posts
I don't have a Goldberg GL but......

Now that I have built and flown 2 woodies(HOB "2x4", discontinued Ace RC "Easy Eagle") I have even less interest now in "fancy" fiberglass or "high performance" non-woody planes so I can completely relate to the Gentle Lady fan base. -P
Pauliwog is offline Find More Posts by Pauliwog
Old Jan 08, 2011, 03:53 PM
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,218 Posts
Pauliwog if you like building the projects you have done so far, try a 3 meter woody project some time. The Paragon is my favorite. It has been called the 3M Gentle Lady. The wing planform and tail design does look very Gentle Lady like. Or maybe a better way of putting it is the Gentle Lady is very Paragon like, since the Paragon came out in 1977 and the Gentle Lady in 1980.

Mirage or Marauder would be great woody projects too. As would the Skybench Bird series.

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Jan 08, 2011, 04:05 PM
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Jan 2010
939 Posts
Thanks for the idea Rdwoebke, and yet.......

Another Question:Speaking of dates of design, Do you or anyone know how old the Sig Riser 2meter is?

Thanks - Paul.
Pauliwog is offline Find More Posts by Pauliwog
Old Jan 08, 2011, 04:24 PM
AMA 3959
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Oct 2002
1,470 Posts
just cuz their still flying, have some fun!

Al
alstrahm is offline Find More Posts by alstrahm
Old Jan 08, 2011, 08:23 PM
Joined Jan 2009
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwoebke View Post
Pauliwog if you like building the projects you have done so far, try a 3 meter woody project some time. The Paragon is my favorite. It has been called the 3M Gentle Lady. The wing planform and tail design does look very Gentle Lady like. Or maybe a better way of putting it is the Gentle Lady is very Paragon like, since the Paragon came out in 1977 and the Gentle Lady in 1980.

Mirage or Marauder would be great woody projects too. As would the Skybench Bird series.

Ryan
Ryan is right on, IMO. I had a plans-built bone stock Paragon. It high-started very nicely, and was perfectly willing to work thermals at 30-50'. Didn't put spoilers on it. It was a joy to fly.

But it was a lot to store and carry around, so I gave it to my nephew.
upstart is offline Find More Posts by upstart
Old Jan 08, 2011, 08:44 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,130 Posts
Sounds like you've never flown an Ava or a Bubble Dancer.

And don't knock the higher performance gliders until you've tried them. I'll admit the most advanced glider with ailerons that I've flown very much is the Aegea Mantis, but it's definitely a whole other game than slow woodies. Both have their place.

IMHO, on a difficult day, a high performance glider makes things a whole lot more fun, or even just makes flying possible. On a good day, low performance is better because things are too easy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauliwog View Post
Now that I have built and flown 2 woodies(HOB "2x4", discontinued Ace RC "Easy Eagle") I have even less interest now in "fancy" fiberglass or "high performance" non-woody planes so I can completely relate to the Gentle Lady fan base. -P
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2011, 09:24 PM
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauliwog View Post
Another Question:Speaking of dates of design, Do you or anyone know how old the Sig Riser 2meter is?

Thanks - Paul.
I'm pretty sure it's release date was some time during the early 1980s.

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Jan 08, 2011, 09:52 PM
Kurt Zimmerman ≡LSF 4461≡
Montrose, NY
Joined May 2003
1,385 Posts
Greetings Guys & Gals... Well I have a GL that I built in 1985. It is still flyable today. It has gone through 1 face lift in 20 years. I built it because so I could enter into a Gentle Lady one design event that was suppose to pay tribute to Carl Goldberg. I made every effort to build it very light. FYI I did rather well in the event. 1st in 2m precision, 2nd in "pretty plane" and 3rd in 15m duration. I even won a high-start for doing the most loops. OK, so it flew well against other Gentle Ladies. My honest opinion, it was a dog! I found the spar design to be poor and the flat-bottom airfoil not to do the plane much justice. It would have done much better a more modern airfoil (in it's day) were to be used. I'm sure the E205 would make a big improvement!

I did get my daughter flying it. In fact she did much better with it than I did. She logged over a 40min flight on it from an upstart launch.

Airtronics designs from that era were far more advanced. The Aquila, almost 10 year old design when the Gentle Lady is a far better design as well as flies better. Take the Sagitta, again, far better design than the GL and came out about the same time.

So what makes the GL the best design? In my book it's not! Far from it.

Just my 2 cents worth!

Kurt
kzimmerm is offline Find More Posts by kzimmerm
Last edited by kzimmerm; Jan 08, 2011 at 10:00 PM.
Old Jan 09, 2011, 12:34 AM
auburn ca
Joined Sep 2010
67 Posts
I love a nice GL but my heart will always belong to the Sagitta.
jedear is offline Find More Posts by jedear
Old Jan 09, 2011, 01:32 AM
Known Wind User
USA, ID
Joined Jun 2004
256 Posts
Paul mentions the one I'm talkin' about - the 2m sig riser! Lots of my friends had GL's ( and they are GREAT 2m woodies) but my first was a 2m sig riser. I like the GL, but I gotta say I never regretted flying my riser in the same air with my friends.

Bottom line for the thread is - of course - Gentle Lady is an awesome saiplane

Cheers, Jim

Edit: Jedear - YES. Sagitta YES.
Martini is offline Find More Posts by Martini