HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 04, 2011, 12:42 PM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Oct 2002
2,716 Posts
Lincoln,

No selective blindness. None of those planes go up by themselves. It takes some form of propulsion. Find a plane that goes up solely on it's own and then you have something.

Mark
Mark Miller is offline Find More Posts by Mark Miller
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2011, 06:53 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Aug 2002
235 Posts
It seems that the original statement was just the word "glider" but we can broaden the catagory
Terror Dactyl is offline Find More Posts by Terror Dactyl
Old Jan 04, 2011, 08:05 PM
Turn down for what?
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
14,816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dion9146 View Post
Quick, someone send Jack a Gentle Lady. He doesn't know what he has been missing all of these years.
Jack gets a free pass because he is a prolific builder and has built probably a dozen or more different wood kit designs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buran View Post
Curious when the GL came out it still uses the archaic method of wing construction, i.e. one large spar. I remember the Craft-Air Drifter, mid-late 70's, using the top and bottom spars with shear webs; much better.
The spar on the GL was fine. it was cheap and easy to build. I replaced the balsa spar in mine with hobby shop basswood and I flew it in F3J... The plane ultimately met it's demise due to a failed battery pack, but never broke on many winch launches and some F3J launches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flystoolow View Post

The GL is great because it was cheap, easy to build, and readily available. It was a great way to learn RC. These days, for what the price of a GL kit was in 1990 I bet a PNP Radian is not that different in price. So the Radian is probably thew new GL and the GL was the new Wanderer and the Wanderer was probably the new something else.

And we can't have a GL thread without mentioning one of the GL's biggest proponents, Highstarter.

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Jan 04, 2011, 11:30 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
If youi don't trust the spar, just D-tube the wing. I did that to mine, and there isn't much that it won't take, including getting an inch of space between the wing and the fuse on an abrupt pullout...
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old Jan 05, 2011, 01:14 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,725 Posts
What you mean we.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2011, 01:47 AM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,991 Posts
I dunno. Seems like your changing the rules in midstream. If you define anything on the aircraft that makes it go up as not part of the aircraft.

I saw a P-30 wing go up on its own. Does that count as a "plane"?

How about the time I was trying to land my Oly (unpowered) and had to go around 3 times?

BTW, for a guy like you who takes me seriously, I've got some real estate in.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Miller View Post
Lincoln,

No selective blindness. None of those planes go up by themselves. It takes some form of propulsion. Find a plane that goes up solely on it's own and then you have something.

Mark
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2011, 09:53 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,779 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwoebke View Post
And we can't have a GL thread without mentioning one of the GL's biggest proponents, Highstarter.

Ryan
Well... we COULD have...
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Jan 05, 2011, 07:25 PM
auburn ca
Joined Sep 2010
67 Posts
I am building one for my son right now. It was the plane I built and learned to fly with back in 1983. And it will be what he learns on. The kit has changed alot for the better. All laser cut is a nice touch. The new pieces are fitting together great. I think I am more excited to fly it then he is.
jedear is offline Find More Posts by jedear
Old Jan 06, 2011, 05:54 AM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,169 Posts
I didn't read all of this, just stickin' in my 2 cents.

Gotta say, I never figured out why the GL beat out the Sig 2M Riser, for 2M inexpensive trainer kits. And I trust the much more robust wing construction on a Riser way past what I'd trust the GL with.

It's a few more bucks, and maybe unfair to compare a 100" glider with a 2M, but I think the OlyII is a "better" glider when it comes to performance.

But, as always, YMMV.

Nightowl
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl
Old Jan 06, 2011, 06:21 PM
United States, WI, Stoddard
Joined Dec 2009
1,124 Posts
g/l

Carl Goldberg was a childhood hero of almost every young kid that loved model airplanes, especially in the Midwest.The Gentle lady taught many many people ,to fly RC.My first one was flown with a Sig power pod and a golden bee,when the engine shut down, and It hit lift,The zen of soaring hit me and will never leave.I still fly an Electra.
doc993 is offline Find More Posts by doc993
Old Jan 07, 2011, 08:00 AM
USA, CT, Norwalk
Joined Jul 2010
7 Posts
I don't know, I've had two Eclipes since early 90's and plane to build another but with foam. Flown both GL and SL and there nice too. Have one of each in the box. Has anyone tried the 99 dollar "Super Glider"? Can't seam to get it off the ground. Thinking of building a set of foam wings but sweeping back insteed of forward, what do you think?
onecyclinder is offline Find More Posts by onecyclinder
Old Jan 07, 2011, 11:48 AM
Joined Jan 2003
6,928 Posts
When I built my first Gentle Lady in 1989 I was struck by the similarity to to kits like the Hi-Thrust Viking. I was intimidated when I opened the box and saw all that wood, but it went together so easily. Carl Goldberg designed a classic.
slopemeno is offline Find More Posts by slopemeno
Old Jan 07, 2011, 01:22 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Oct 2010
116 Posts
The best because:

Its Sexy
Even I could build it
A noob such as myself learned how to fly on it
It thermals and slopes
Fits in almost any car
Can take some abuse, though not like a foamy
Easy to fix, fly, fix, fix, fly, fix....get my point?
CHEAP
Not on backorder...ever (that I know of)
Everyone can give tips on them, because everyone has/had/wants one
Can be converted to electric, hand launched, or high-start
And last of all, SUPER DUPER FUN TO FLY! < Most important of all
crazyracer is offline Find More Posts by crazyracer
Old Jan 07, 2011, 05:00 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,799 Posts
We need to define some criteria for "The Best Glider Ever". A lot of what's been said here just does not classify as applical to define "The Best Glider Ever".

The fact that some think the GL is sexy? Well that is way beyond me
I've seen many who cannot build ANYTHING.
All gliders thermal and slope. Even a brick will slope.
Large gliders break down and can fit in any car. Try to put a GL into a smart car.
Abuse is relitive term and mouldies don't dent or warp.
Mouldies can be fixed easily, its just a different proceedure.
Any glider can be converted to electric.

If the GL is fun to fly. You should try flying a ship that has twice the speed envelope, twice the wing area with a much lower wing loading. Most new designs have much stronger wings and they can fly just as slow as the GL.

My vote for the best is still the Model A
davidjensen is online now Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Jan 07, 2011, 06:25 PM
Turn down for what?
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
14,816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjensen View Post
We need to define some criteria for "The Best Glider Ever".
On an interweb forum you will never get a concsensus on this so you may as well make up your own definition for yourself.

Quote:
A lot of what's been said here just does not classify as applical to define "The Best Glider Ever".
Everybody has a different definition. Mine might be the best glider ever is the one the most people have used to work their first thermal with. If that is the definition, GL is definitely in the mix then.

Quote:

Large gliders break down and can fit in any car. Try to put a GL into a smart car.
Yes and no. Transportability is an interesting mistress. On one hand, I think F3K models are very transportable because you can leave them fully assembled and put them in the back seat of a car, in the hatchback, etc. But on the other hand, if you want to airline transport them they only break down into a 60 inch piece and you are pretty much paying overage or playing the hope the sport tube doesn't get tagged for overage. Likewise if a person is taking a plane on a family vacation the need is typically to keep the plane in a box to fully protect it. Hand launch models that means you are using up a pretty signifigant part of your luggage space with that box.

2 meter woody planes like the GL actually in my opinion are not very transportable because most people build the wing 1 piece (mine was 3 piece per the optional 3 piece version in the plans) and the tails are typically not removable. That definitely means you need a big box for it. A way more transportable 2M plane is the Allegro Lite. The horizontal is removable, wing is 3 piece, and you can put it in an airline "62 inch box".

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke