Old Jan 02, 2011, 11:40 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buran View Post
Nah, 5 will get me 10 that Wanderer get that nod
There was a thread that stated that something like 160,000 Wanderer kits were produce. I don't think that includes the ARF's that came along later..
Yup, Wanderer, best glider ever designed! A look at it's family tree says it even more, Mark Smith knew what he was doing, Thanks Mark!!!

Joe
Who is on Wanderer #2 and has all three wingspan kits waiting for the building board to get cleaned off!! (>;

PS: There is somebody with a Wanderer kit in the for sale forum right now with a picture of mine. The kit is his, I am just braggin' about mine!!
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2011, 12:16 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,856 Posts
While I'm sure that the Sophisticated Lady is an ok trainer, it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to put a more pointed nose and a more fragile tail on what was originally a pretty good trainer. That is, from a users viewpoint. From a marketing viewpoint, of course, it's another story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwinzea View Post
I agree is a great trainer, my firt RC plane to, but I fell in love with his sexy younger sister, Sopthiticated Lady, which flew for more than 12 years and was the trainer plane of at least three of my budies.

THe best I dont know but certanly should make the Hall of Fame of RC gliders

EZ
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: paper blast tube test
Old Jan 02, 2011, 12:27 PM
Silent Wings
Amarillo, TX
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
Let's look at the facts again....as stated by others.
It was cheap
It was easy to build
It was easy to fix
It would hold the old electronics of the day
It trained a plethora of budding sailplaners
It was available almost everywhere
AND, it was a beginning place,
AND, it embarrased the hell out of the "Big Boys" when it
whipped their butts in early contests!!!!
G
Oldcoot2 is offline Find More Posts by Oldcoot2
Old Jan 02, 2011, 01:42 PM
EUROPHIA PETE
London England
Joined Oct 2009
147 Posts
Best for beginners

Hi all

Can I raise a flag for a European trainer?

The Veron Impala - (but not the bigger,later version ugh!)

I have NEVER given/loaned either of mine to a complete beginner who wasn't able to fly it safely and capably by the end of the first day's training on the slope

Just a thought

Pete
Pete Beadle is offline Find More Posts by Pete Beadle
Old Jan 02, 2011, 01:45 PM
Less Whinning, More Flying
SF Bay Area, USA
Joined Feb 2003
1,719 Posts
The GL came to the market in the early 80's not 60's/70's as previously stated (RCM magazine 1980). I bought mine around then for $16.95. The "2-meter" class sailplane was just hitting the market then and GL was one of the first trainers for that class with that wingspan (78.25 in). I had no experience with gliders,but after a quick couple of lessons, I really learned to get in tune with this plane. One of it's best attributes was it's easy handling characteristics. Extremely forgiving as a first trainer and remember that is what it was designed for (not to compete with Supra's as previously stated). Anyone with some basic skills could put one together, even though the kit parts never quite fit right,and still manage to fly decently. The long tail moment dampened excessive use of elevator (beginner flyers, remember) and the stall was very gentle and the ironed-in wing washout took care of preventing tip stalling in tight turns. The wing planform has a high aspect ratio which gives it high efficiency for a trainer and ability to climb in light lift, and the airfoil is rather thin producing low drag yet sufficient lift for the plane's light weight, perfect for those light lift days which Gentle Ladies are famous for. Overall a simple, light, elegant designed trainer and light air ship which has stood the test of time.

Sean
Sailhigh is offline Find More Posts by Sailhigh
Old Jan 02, 2011, 01:59 PM
Huntington Beach
Joined Aug 2000
728 Posts
Curious when the GL came out it still uses the archaic method of wing construction, i.e. one large spar. I remember the Craft-Air Drifter, mid-late 70's, using the top and bottom spars with shear webs; much better.
Buran is online now Find More Posts by Buran
Last edited by Buran; Jan 02, 2011 at 02:50 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2011, 02:15 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,744 Posts
GL... not the best... and EVERYBODY didn't have one... I never did. By my definition... the current best is the Icon 2.
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Jan 02, 2011, 04:48 PM
Joined Nov 2004
851 Posts
Well, yesterday morning, January 1st, the temperature was below zero with frost everywhere.

I sent the Gentle Lady up and enjoyed a 40 minute thermal flight to 2000 feet with two eagles.

That's why she's the best......she ALWAYS goes up!
flystoolow is offline Find More Posts by flystoolow
Old Jan 02, 2011, 05:30 PM
United States, KY, La Grange
Joined Feb 2006
1,689 Posts
Quick, someone send Jack a Gentle Lady. He doesn't know what he has been missing all of these years.
dion9146 is offline Find More Posts by dion9146
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Gull plan pics
Old Jan 02, 2011, 05:41 PM
Indianapolis, IN USA
Joined Nov 2000
2,305 Posts
"Best" probably isn't the right term. I'd say "significant" may be more accurate. I think it was because it was the only glider that most hobby shops carried. If you wanted to try a glider, you're most obvious choice was a GL. When I went from control line to RC, I bought a GL. It was $20, I could cut off the nose an put on an .049 and I only needed a cheap 2ch radio.
Ralph Weaver is offline Find More Posts by Ralph Weaver
Old Jan 02, 2011, 05:49 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
GL... not the best... and EVERYBODY didn't have one... I never did. By my definition... the current best is the Icon 2.
I never had one either. I used the Supra design as the best sailplane designed as its planform has been sucessful as a DLG, all the way to the Icon 2 which is a Supra variant. Yes its more complicated and expensive but the performance is what it is. No other sailplane has been copied as much. The Model A used to be the best car ever.
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Last edited by davidjensen; Jan 02, 2011 at 05:54 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2011, 07:36 PM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Oct 2002
2,708 Posts
A plane goes up because you put it in a thermal. There has never been a plane that will go up by itself. If there were that would be the best plane ever.

I have flown many Gentle Ladies as well as Wanders. The Gentle Lady was a better kit because it had a prettier picture on the box. Truthfully they both sucked compared to todays designs.

I was out yesterday at my clubs New Years Day fun fly. 35 degrees, 10 to 15 mph winds gusting to 20 at times. It was 60 degrees the day before. The lift was fantastic and my Soprano went up gracefully to about 8 or 9 hundred feet before I decided to come down to help my buddy get into the sir for some fun. Does that make it the best model? Probably not. I put it in a thermal. It aint the plane.

Mark
Mark Miller is offline Find More Posts by Mark Miller
Old Jan 02, 2011, 07:46 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,856 Posts
You could say most of those things about the Spirit too, but that doesn't mean it was a good design. Particularly since it mostly displaced the Gentle Lady, which was far better. But again, the Oly is a better trainer than the GL. I've owned both and have flown the !@#$%^& Spirit too. And you can definitely say most of those things about the Olympic except it's not as cheap, and I don't know if it was as ubiquitous in its day. And I'll bet back when it was more popular it was also closer to the GL's price. How many prevented crashes or how many fewer hours to proficiency does it take to justify an extra $65 or so. (Ok, maybe add enough for a another roll of covering too.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcoot2 View Post
Let's look at the facts again....as stated by others.
It was cheap
It was easy to build
It was easy to fix
It would hold the old electronics of the day
It trained a plethora of budding sailplaners
It was available almost everywhere
AND, it was a beginning place,
AND, it embarrased the hell out of the "Big Boys" when it
whipped their butts in early contests!!!!
G
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: paper blast tube test
Old Jan 02, 2011, 07:50 PM
Nanaimo
Joined May 2008
32 Posts
Flytoolow you are the puppet master, dance for him boys
Spencer is offline Find More Posts by Spencer
Old Jan 02, 2011, 08:06 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,093 Posts
Back in the day, I preferred the Midwest L'il-T, converted to two channel rather than the GL ... but we had a lot of fun playing catch with one of our club member's GL one day when the winch crapped out.

But "BEST" glider ever designed ... there is no answer ... every design will have its proponents and opponents ...

tk
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev