HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 01, 2011, 03:08 PM
Flying is a Gamble...
Front Royal, VA
Joined Jul 2003
475 Posts
Discussion
eRC Micro Stik Field Repair :: Mercury Adhesives Won't Stick? Help!!!

Folks,

I smashed my Micro Stik up pretty bad last week, and I'm trying to get it repaired. I broke the front wing mount and rudder horn. I picked up a bottle of Mercury Adhesives M100F medium viscosity for the repairs. After applying glue to both the plastic parts of the wing mount, and the foam parts of the tail, I left the plane overnight. When I checked the repairs this afternoon, the glue had still not fully set, and my plane is still broken.

I've never used Mercury products in my nearly 20 years of model building. I also have rarely used foam-safe CA. I normally use UHU POR or a bottle of Billy Hell's foam glue I'm still holding onto. Am I doing something wrong here with this glue?

I'm not trying to bash Mercury. I'm asking for help, and I'm including the fact that I used their product in the hopes that someone can steer me in the right direction.
N925WB is offline Find More Posts by N925WB
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2011, 03:19 PM
Flying is a Gamble...
Front Royal, VA
Joined Jul 2003
475 Posts
For further information, the rudder broke/cracked/tore around the control horn base. The repair would be a butt-joint foam to foam.

I've already repaired the forward wing mount with Kevlar thread and thin CA from Zap. No problems with the Zap adhering to the carbon/plastic fuselage parts, but I'm not about to use thin CA on the foam!
N925WB is offline Find More Posts by N925WB
Old Jan 02, 2011, 02:59 PM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,355 Posts
Foam safe CA can take a while to set up. It is slower then regular CA, as if it kicks too fast it could melt the foam from the heat.
Trick, take a tiny bit and I mean tiny, bit of baking soda and mix it with some water.
Put a tiny drop of this on your CA. It will kick it almost instantly.

As for your rudder. Take a thin CF rod, sharpen and end,and run it through the the broken joint. It will be stronger then the foam. It becomes the bridge between the two halves.
Like a spear through the foam. so it's hidden inside.

I just, oh about 5 minutes ago, did just this on my Hobby Zone Champ's rudder.
Dang dog wacked it with his tail on the walk home from the field.

That took some doing feeding a CF rod about the thickness of a sewing needle through the rudder that is not much thicker. But if I can do it you can too.
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Last edited by Glacier Girl; Jan 02, 2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old Jan 03, 2011, 04:01 AM
United Kingdom, Coventry
Joined Oct 2010
166 Posts
i found yesterday that foam safe ca is good for repairing tail blades etc that have become creased and wobble up and down. i have a micro sukhoi with a badly beaten up horizontal stabilizer, which was flopping up and down. i had previously used a heavy plastic strip, sellotaped in place to keep it straight. but yesterday, on a weight saving binge, i removed it, and tried a thin layer of ca over the creases, left it overnight and its stiffened the stab up really well. i was pretty surprised how effective it was even with no reinforcement strips

ive also used ca to repair the sukhois polystyrene fuse that is splitting up badly in various places. i first get ca in the crack and then layer a small strip of tissue paper, soaked in ca over the crack to reinforce it. it doesnt seem like its going to work but ca sets like rock in 30 minutes or so and doesnt add too much weight. i was dubious about ca at first but now use it all the time
Anomalous is offline Find More Posts by Anomalous
Old Aug 02, 2011, 03:04 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2007
77 Posts
I used the M100F medium yesterday on a foamy build. It hadn't set up after 9 hours. It's GARBAGE. I sent an e-mail to Mercury. I even experimented with the different surfaces of the foam. Fresh cut edge wouldn't hold either. The Accelerator did do anything to set it up until I tried it on a sticky run mark that occurred last night. It set up a bit, but barely.
albsurfer is offline Find More Posts by albsurfer