SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 01, 2011, 08:46 AM
Joined May 2005
1,432 Posts
Build Log
CDScaleDesigns 1/6 scale SE5a

At exactly 12:00am on Jan. 1, 2011, I started building the 1/6 scale SE5a kit from CDScaleDesigns. What better way to begin the New Year!

My hope is to have it built and flying in 2-3 months.
abufletcher is offline Find More Posts by abufletcher
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2011, 09:06 AM
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Aug 2000
2,012 Posts
Welcome to R/C Groups, Don!

(The new bench looks pretty good.)

Martin
Martin Irvine is offline Find More Posts by Martin Irvine
Old Jan 01, 2011, 09:37 AM
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abufletcher View Post
My hope is to have it built and flying in 2-3 months.
Clock is tikking

Teus
Teus is offline Find More Posts by Teus
Old Jan 01, 2011, 01:12 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Yes, Don, welcome to RCGroups although it appears you've been here longer then I have!
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
Old Jan 01, 2011, 02:05 PM
fly hard live easy
i now live in UT for the time being
Joined Nov 2010
242 Posts
ill definitely be watching this one and congrats to be the first to start a new build this year
live_to_fly is offline Find More Posts by live_to_fly
Old Jan 01, 2011, 05:50 PM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,047 Posts
I've seen some of your work on the other forum impressive stuff. Looking foward to folowing your build.
Mike
mike2663 is offline Find More Posts by mike2663
Old Jan 02, 2011, 06:45 AM
Joined May 2005
1,432 Posts
I'm still at that stage of identifying and preparing parts, but I think I'm about ready to start building the wings.

I picked up the kit in person when I was visiting Chris last summer in Germany and decided that since I had to carry it around during my trip that we'd just pack all the CNC cut parts and hardware into a small box and that I would supply my own "long wood." But really about 90% of what's needed was in the box so it was a "short kit" only in terms of the size of the box.

But it looks like I'll need to pick up two more of the 5x10mm lengths from the local hardware shop. I actually have enough if I wanted to slice pieces together, but I'd rather just buy a couple more full-length pieces.

Looks like there might be a couple missing holes (for the 4mm brass wing tubes) in the laminated ribs for the (scale) fuselage wing root.
Old Jan 02, 2011, 06:53 AM
Joined May 2005
1,432 Posts
Also a remember to myself and anyone else, the root ribs MUST be set at an angle because of the dihedral. The plans show them straight. The dihedral is set "automatically" by the wing tubes, but it would be possible to mess up on these root ribs.

Old Jan 02, 2011, 08:07 AM
Joined May 2005
1,432 Posts
Teus, I notice you didn't use the 3mm balsa wingtips. Any other mods to the wings I should know about?
Old Jan 02, 2011, 10:40 AM
Joined Dec 2005
9 Posts
Wing Tips

I think he decided to cut the outlines from 3mm birch ply. This, however, meant he had to do without the curve of the tips when viewed from the side (or was left with a very slight curve). We talked briefly about doing this in the kit but it caused too much material wastage and also would have increased the price of the kits, so I decided to stick with the already proved method.
CTDavies is offline Find More Posts by CTDavies
Old Jan 02, 2011, 11:20 AM
Joined Dec 2005
9 Posts
although having said that you can see here that he did get a nice curvature at the tip. I was concerned at the time about 3mm birch ply being too stiff.
CTDavies is offline Find More Posts by CTDavies
Old Jan 02, 2011, 01:50 PM
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
101 Posts
Quote:
Teus, I notice you didn't use the 3mm balsa wingtips. Any other mods to the wings I should know about?
Besides that I used two aileron servo's in the wings and added the inner flying wire attachment points (the wire is on the drawing but no anchor point) No.

Quote:
Also a remember to myself and anyone else, the root ribs MUST be set at an angle because of the dihedral.
If you first build the top centre section and after that the left and right wing panels but do not glue the last rib, the one next to the centre section, then install the tubes with no glue first and with the centre section flat on your building board, then you have always the correct angle. I did this the same way with the two small centre sections from the lower wing flat on the building board with a little space between them.

And besides that; Small errors you can correct very easy when you install your flying wires.

Teus
Teus is offline Find More Posts by Teus
Old Jan 02, 2011, 03:01 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,306 Posts
Don, You'll like doing build threads here. There's a knowledgeable group, that enthusiastically follows along, as one builds.

I gotta admit, I'm kinda surprised to see you on the Groups.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Jan 02, 2011, 08:05 PM
Joined May 2005
1,432 Posts
One more question before I get started on the wings: How are the strut attachment bolts done? The drawings show the nuts hidden away inside the wing, but I seem to remember on the Snipe that the bolts stuck UP out of the wings and I put the nuts on outside. I also remember having a problem with some of the bolts rotating when I was trying to screw on the nuts.

On the Snipe I cut the recessed areas and added the side support ply parts before starting construction on the wings.
Old Jan 03, 2011, 04:01 AM
Joined May 2005
1,432 Posts
It always takes me a while to get the first wing panel laid out, but then the others go quickly. To get everything to sit right the rear spar has to be elevated slightly with 2.5mm bits of scrap balsa. The notches in the ribs are just about perfect but on the tight side so I used a file to lightly loosen things up and to make sure the spar was completely within the notch. I also have to widen the trailing edge notch for the laminated ribs. After I'm sure everything is right and square, I'll CA it together. I WON'T be gluing on the root rib yet.

I'm still wondering about the wingtip and what's supposed to go in the gap.