Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 06, 2012, 03:06 PM
Heavy thinker..I mean tinkerer
Canada, ON, Aylmer
Joined Apr 2009
746 Posts
Ok I will try again, I thought I tried that, but I may not have. How close do you have to fly to the phone?
TheBlood+ is offline Find More Posts by TheBlood+
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2012, 03:28 PM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2010
2,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlood+ View Post
Ok I will try again, I thought I tried that, but I may not have. How close do you have to fly to the phone?
As close as you can,I fly within 15 feet of it.Make sure the mouthpiece is facing the plane.
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Old Oct 06, 2012, 04:07 PM
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
2,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo Child View Post
Could it be,the geared master is entertaining the thought of crossing to the dark side and try something new
LOL! Definitely no master and that warning is too late!
Peter M is offline Find More Posts by Peter M
Old Oct 06, 2012, 05:05 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,814 Posts
Ahhhhhhh,i forgot about the Wing with Big Nutz That should just be one silly plane.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 07:50 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothflying View Post
So if he uses my radar gun we could get an accurate reading?
You know what,i feel bad that i replied to your post in such a manor,it was very rude of me (plus i got a PM explaining to me that i should not post responces like that)...Soooo,let me please try again.....Hello Smoothflying,To answer your question,i would have to say "NO" we can not use your radar gun on my Swist,reason being that the gun in question has shown you speeds of 217MPH on your Viper,which is powered by a Neu 1115/1Y,TP 2250 4S,w/apc 4.75X4.75....and that is an IMPOSSIBLE speed to reach with that plane on that setup....Now,on the upside,if i did use that gun,my Swist should show a reading of 247MPH....So,on second thought,lets put your gun on my plane Love you buddie !
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:29 AM
Joined Apr 2012
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo Child View Post
You know what,i feel bad that i replied to your post in such a manor,it was very rude of me (plus i got a PM explaining to me that i should not post responces like that)...Soooo,let me please try again.....Hello Smoothflying,To answer your question,i would have to say "NO" we can not use your radar gun on my Swist,reason being that the gun in question has shown you speeds of 217MPH on your Viper,which is powered by a Neu 1115/1Y,TP 2250 4S,w/apc 4.75X4.75....and that is an IMPOSSIBLE speed to reach with that plane on that setup....Now,on the upside,if i did use that gun,my Swist should show a reading of 247MPH....So,on second thought,lets put your gun on my plane Love you buddie !
That same gun 2 weeks ago was used to clock a speeding car going by it. The car was going by at 75mph on its speedometers and just so happened that the gun said the same thing. So good buddy. I'm sorry you are so much slower than me on 4s. Maybe you should get a Viper. You do have to remember your Swist is much heavier than mine. I guess in 2 weeks we will get together at the huckoween and find out. I can't wait to see my good buddy again.
smoothflying is offline Find More Posts by smoothflying
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:18 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,292 Posts
I'm going to have to agree with VooDoo on this (and I rarely do......lol) as the 1115 1Y is only a 2800KV motor and on 4S, 4.75 x 4.75 you are only going to turn it about 38000+ RPM which is a pitch speed somewhere down around 170 MPH . And 5S 46000+ RPM and 208 mph pitch speed. Now take into account the losses of the airframe.
You need to get an apc 4.75 x 4.75 turning 50K+ rpm before you will crack 200 MPH straight and level with that motor and prop and airframe.

Terry
Chuchuf is offline Find More Posts by Chuchuf
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:31 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,769 Posts
smoothflying , there is only one way to find out, fly level make a pass close to the camera, I will doppler, even if your speedgun is showing right speed it only measures instanst highest speed....

I dont think there is much difference in modern F5D ships when comparing Viper; Swist, Jibe2 and so on when it comes to aerodynamics and go fast... I think It is 98% up to what setup you run in these modern F5D ship that will tell you how fast you can go, NO way could a plane go like 25% faster then pitchspeed, dont matter if its a Viper or a Swist.. the fastest of thoses two is the one having the best setup and battery + prop....

There will always bee some secrets in going fast, and some work and testing, but gereral there is no secret in running a 4s lipo and a normal 2800kv motor with a basic apc prop, if the Viper goes 217mph with that setup, Im sure the Swist and Jibe would also do that, thats all Im saying..
sebbe is online now Find More Posts by sebbe
Last edited by sebbe; Oct 07, 2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:43 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,769 Posts
Terry, the Viper goes around 200mph with 1800watt static on 4s mega motor and 4.7x4.7 prop (45k maybee ?) unloads a bit in air also..

Dont agree it Takes +50K, and spinning a 4.7 prop at 50K is pretty bad anyway
Last edited by sebbe; Oct 07, 2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:01 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbe View Post
Terry, the Viper goes +200mph with 1800watt static on 4s mega motor and 4.7x4.7 prop..

Dont agree it Takes +50K, and spinning a 4.7 prop at 50K is pretty bad anyway
Sebbe,

Have a look at this http://www.rcpro.org/rccalc/PitchSpeed.aspx
Put in 4.75 for pitch and 40K, 45K and 50K RPM's and see what you get.

Keep in mind that you will have losses for the prop and losses (drag) for the airframe.

My X turns about 44000 RPM and it pretty clear listening to it and comparing that sound to other setups that I know are going 200+, that it needs to turn higher if I want to break 200+

Terry

Terry
Chuchuf is offline Find More Posts by Chuchuf
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:12 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,769 Posts
Terry, any modern fast F5D dont take +50K on a 4.7x4.7 prop to reach 200mph...

I think the guys competing in F5D said something around 1800 watt static and l much less in air to reach 200mph.....

How much power static does it take to spin up a 4.75x4.75 to over 50k?

Remember it unloads in air also...
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:18 PM
Joined Apr 2012
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbe View Post
smoothflying , there is only one way to find out, fly level make a pass close to the camera, I will doppler, even if your speedgun is showing right speed it only measures instanst highest speed....

I dont think there is much difference in modern F5D ships when comparing Viper; Swist, Jibe2 and so on when it comes to aerodynamics and go fast... I think It is 98% up to what setup you run in these modern F5D ship that will tell you how fast you can go, NO way could a plane go like 25% faster then pitchspeed, dont matter if its a Viper or a Swist.. the fastest of thoses two is the one having the best setup and battery + prop....

There will always bee some secrets in going fast, and some work and testing, but gereral there is no secret in running a 4s lipo and a normal 2800kv motor with a basic apc prop, if the Viper goes 217mph with that setup, Im sure the Swist and Jibe would also do that, thats all Im saying..
I remember u dopplered me over 200 with what we had and it was barely getting it. Voodoo will be at the flyin and we can test it both withe same radar gun and his phone app. Then we will just average it out. And Chuchuff I have to agree with Sebbe. That sight ur using I believe is a little off.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:33 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,769 Posts
smoothflying , if VooDoo wants to do some tests, its up to him
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:37 PM
Joined Apr 2012
81 Posts
Sebbe being sort of a Newb. I have a question for you. I've been in GS for a very long time and know with GS that a lighter plane does fly better but then it gets to a point where to light just doesn't fly to well when you start adding in wind and such. My question is doesn't weight play a huge game with these planes? Can adding bigger batteries and extra batteries add weight to where the plane wont just go as fast? From speaking with soaringusa 5s on the 1115 1y in the Viper should get it to at least 230mph. I believe that. I've flown pylon racers in the 150-180 range and I will definitely tell you this plane is night and day faster. I am going to try and make picture of my 217mph pass so you can see how we got that speed.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:47 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,769 Posts
Terry, for example, VooDoo:s Swist did close to 200mph on a 2500kv motor on 5s and 4.75x4.75, and he did fly a bit away from the phone, making the numbers less then thay are + he could go a bit longer runs to really gain som rpm:s... I think its fair to say that setup is a maximum 200mph setup, no more... even if did get some lower readings like 193-194mph, I think its quite sure to say he could get a 200mph run by makinging a longer run closer to the phone, no more, but 200mph is possible, thats all Im saying...

So now all we need is to know how much static is that setup and how much in air, and we have our answer, written in blood, no theoretic calculations and suggestions, as we know that doesent goes with reallity anyway..

So Doug, how much wattage was it static and in air with that mega 2500kv motor on 5s ? and we have out answer what it takes to reach top 200mph in a GOOD run CLOSE to the phone...

Sebbe