HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 05, 2012, 02:18 PM
Joined Apr 2012
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbe View Post
I guess we need a radar gun to be sure, but I guess Doug dont care as long as he is having fun , I dont care about claimed speed much either as lon as I am happy, and I get what I want out if that setup/plane..
So if he uses my radar gun we could get an accurate reading?
smoothflying is offline Find More Posts by smoothflying
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2012, 03:32 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothflying View Post
yes and no, you would get a fastest speed for an instant of time.... Not the best method, but sometimes the only easy way to get a speed with certain setups..

I know Doug dont like speedguns , hes friend with Viper did get like 217mph ? with only 4s lipos and a normal small prop......

For me I think Doppler is the only way, then its up to you if you want to dive before or level flight....

But as far as folders in the bigger range like 8-10" and above its very hard to doppler, so the only easy way is speedgun.... But as you know, there will always be an argument about what is bad/good about every way to measure speed, we cant please everyone

Maybee the most fair way is to use same method when comparing....

I think the speedrange can be +-10% easy depending on the way you use to measure, sometimes more, thats why its so hard to compare speed with others when using different methods....

Thats why I will always say: doppler is the only true and fair comparasing method between us.... the video tell us much, and the sound tell us the speed.. simple and fair.. not perfect, but better then the other options I think..

Sebbe
sebbe is offline Find More Posts by sebbe
Old Oct 05, 2012, 03:46 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,816 Posts
Think about the other options:

* GPS ? hehe, I have got 356km/h with 3s and 600watts, true? I dont think so, and that guy flying his balsa tucano on youtube doing +400km/h,, man, hes friends was really impressed, but thats about all the true coming from that video..

* Pitot tube, well if all was calibrated to be same, but do we know that? and how many can put pitotube on their planes, and how may are willing to do that ?

* Radar gun ? a good one, well maybee, it will tell us maximum speed for short time, but really how many have acces to this world arround ?

* RcSpeedo in phones ? pretty good, if you get same speed like 3 times, you probably are close, but I think doppler is a little bit better/more secure..

* Doppler ? I would say YES, we get speed within 1-2% from every video or sound, and I think its fair to say about everyone world around can get his fast plane recorded sometime, and all you have to do is fly straight close to camera keep throttle 2 seconds after you pass same height, thats it, we got a speed... dont matter if its recorded in Austrailia or Norway, we can compare...

This is how I see it...

there is only one BIG problem with doppler, it wont pickup any prop..... so I guess we cant compare a folder 10x23 to a 5x5 prop fair..

Sebbe
Last edited by sebbe; Oct 05, 2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 03:56 PM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2010
2,834 Posts
OH MY ! http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=874049
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Old Oct 05, 2012, 03:59 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothflying View Post
Don't bring that mess over here,nobody is claiming there 4S plane goes 217mph on this thread......I know my plane goes 204 to 210mph,so there is no need for that talk....Please keep this thread clean....You Dig.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 04:02 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,816 Posts
VooDoo, now you dont have to buy 10 more setups and 2 more planes,, get this one and you are the fastest man in the world with a RC plane that has an engine....

its cheep to, only 5 grands

It will be hard to doppler, Ive tried a few times, hehe..
Old Oct 05, 2012, 04:17 PM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,355 Posts
What boggles my mind: what has Henke got in his workshop that makes the Turbine Swist obsolete
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Old Oct 05, 2012, 05:12 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcteryxxx View Post
What boggles my mind: what has Henke got in his workshop that makes the Turbine Swist obsolete
I am thinking that he is going to mix the speed that he has shown us he can do so well,and now introduce some aerobatics
Old Oct 05, 2012, 05:18 PM
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo Child View Post
I am thinking that he is going to mix the speed that he has shown us he can do so well,and now introduce some aerobatics
But still...... I would never sell a plane like that!
Old Oct 05, 2012, 06:00 PM
Canada, SK, Prince Albert
Joined Jan 2006
1,494 Posts
Well bro you gonna buy that turbine?

arcticflyer is online now Find More Posts by arcticflyer
Old Oct 06, 2012, 04:35 AM
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticflyer View Post
Well bro you gonna buy that turbine?

I wish
Old Oct 06, 2012, 05:34 AM
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
2,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GryphonRCU View Post
How about a 16/45/X Q ?

Q option will allow the motor to be mounted outside.
(lots of room and airflow for MPI heat sink to allow even higher over AMP)
Motor wire can exit case(near rear) or through one of the air passages.

If voltage can be increased, 16/45/2 F5D E will be the most capable 28mm motor available.

Gryphon
____

22/80/X Q anyone?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcteryxxx View Post
Interesting thoughts, Gryph.
I guess MEGA could be persuaded into converting my old 22/35 into a Q???
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo Child View Post
Now that the nose of my plane is cut off,and i have a removable mount,i think i need to also try a back mount 36mm Mega on it's own mount that i can swap in and out with the Pyro....you know,for R+D sakes
I've been thinking about this for the last few days and think that whilst a Q optioned 16/45 would be the easiest approach (and closest in weight to a MiniPyro) a rear mountable 22/30 would have to be the motor.

What wind? Don't know at this stage until I sort out the the no. of cells/size of cells compromise and I think a little less pitch and diameter and a bit more rpm is inevinable when compared to the Mini Pyro setup.
Peter M is offline Find More Posts by Peter M
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:57 AM
Joined Aug 2010
2,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
I've been thinking about this for the last few days and think that whilst a Q optioned 16/45 would be the easiest approach (and closest in weight to a MiniPyro) a rear mountable 22/30 would have to be the motor.

What wind? Don't know at this stage until I sort out the the no. of cells/size of cells compromise and I think a little less pitch and diameter and a bit more rpm is inevinable when compared to the Mini Pyro setup.
Could it be,the geared master is entertaining the thought of crossing to the dark side and try something new
Old Oct 06, 2012, 10:48 AM
Heavy thinker..I mean tinkerer
Canada, ON, Aylmer
Joined Apr 2009
746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlood+ View Post
I have the RC Speedo app also but can never get it to work with my Escape pylon racer. What am I doing wrong? The app creator said it only works good on Ducted fan configs.
Maybe my question doesn't fit in this thread?
TheBlood+ is offline Find More Posts by TheBlood+
Old Oct 06, 2012, 12:29 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlood+ View Post
Maybe my question doesn't fit in this thread?
I did not even see your post.The only way mine and my friends phone apps give us good readings is on Fast Pass mode,all the others will not pick up.