HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:12 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Sverige, Kronobergs Län, Ljungby
Joined Jan 2001
4,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
I was sure a geared 16/40/1 would be the perfect setup for a Swist. Now I'm not so sure!
I guess it depends on what you want. I would put my money on the geard setup if only performance were at stake. Mix in ease of use too and the large torquey prop might fall behind a DD setup.

We are yet to see 8-10S setups in this class :-)
henke is offline Find More Posts by henke
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:01 PM
FlipF5D
Joined Nov 2007
146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by henke View Post
I
We are yet to see 8-10S setups in this class :-)
Yes, we´ll see, maybe soon ...stay tuned
FlipF5D is offline Find More Posts by FlipF5D
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:30 PM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2010
2,834 Posts
Quote:
Doug,
Great work and thank you for posting. I've just decided that if I die tonight that I want to be reincarnated as you! LOL!

I was sure a geared 16/40/1 would be the perfect setup for a Swist. Now I'm not so sure!
No you don't,MY LIFE IS A MESS,that is why i do this hobby,keeps me from going POSTAL
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:50 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,834 Posts
OK Sebbe,got some starter numbers for you if you trust 4 cell phone Speedo Apps ...I GOT A BUNCH OF FLIGHTS ON THE SWIST TODAY,but only checked the speeds of 2 flights to see if they were the same,then started to put some heat to the motor and getting MORE SPEED will the rest of the flights OK,So here is flying on a 7X8 APC that i can fly 70 seconds WOT and have the plane land,change the lipo and go right back up as there is no heat in the system,if these numbers are true,i am Wicked Happy cause i can fly the out of it all day long in 91deg Florida temps with NO WORRIES...Time to order more lipo's.Soooooo,we had a 7mph wind right down the runway,and i got a bunch of 204mph into the wind,and 210mph with the wind.(pay no attention to the temp read on the phone,as that feature is off on the app,but puts a random number there for some reason,it was 91deg F today)
Outrunner,Cold low stress setup-210mph (2 min 5 sec)
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:52 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,865 Posts
Quote:
Doug,
Great work and thank you for posting. I've just decided that if I die tonight that I want to be reincarnated as you! LOL!

How about a 16/45/X Q ?

Q option will allow the motor to be mounted outside.
(lots of room and airflow for MPI heat sink to allow even higher over AMP)
Motor wire can exit case(near rear) or through one of the air passages.

If voltage can be increased, 16/45/2 F5D E will be the most capable 28mm motor available.

Gryphon
____

22/80/X Q anyone?
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Last edited by GryphonRCU; Oct 04, 2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 03:23 PM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,382 Posts
Interesting thoughts, Gryph.
I guess MEGA could be persuaded into converting my old 22/35 into a Q???
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Old Oct 04, 2012, 03:54 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,817 Posts
First of all, Doug, great man, nice speeds , the sound is a bit hard to doppler as you are flying up in air direct almost after the pass, and I can see on the soundcurves it takes a while to build up the rpm... cool...

Both yours 211mph runs was dopplered, it was not easy, but here it is

first one was 204mph, second was 202,5mph, so I think your phoneapp takes in count for some lowerpitch sound as you are pulling elevator after the pass..

Good speed, this was with the wind right ? some diving ? I ask as I cant really see in video...

Was this with 5s lipo ?

By the way Doug, what did you do to get more power as you said before ??
sebbe is offline Find More Posts by sebbe
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:11 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,834 Posts
WOW ! seems the RC Speedo is spot on ....So far i am very impressed with the Outrunner,those are some nice speeds for making NO HEAT or stressing parts.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:13 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GryphonRCU View Post
How about a 16/45/X Q ?

Q option will allow the motor to be mounted outside.
(lots of room and airflow for MPI heat sink to allow even higher over AMP)
Motor wire can exit case(near rear) or through one of the air passages.

If voltage can be increased, 16/45/2 F5D E will be the most capable 28mm motor available.

Gryphon
____

22/80/X Q anyone?
Now that the nose of my plane is cut off,and i have a removable mount,i think i need to also try a back mount 36mm Mega on it's own mount that i can swap in and out with the Pyro....you know,for R+D sakes
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:31 PM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo Child View Post
Now that the nose of my plane is cut off,and i have a removable mount,i think i need to also try a back mount 36mm Mega on it's own mount that i can swap in and out with the Pyro....you know,for R+D sakes
You're a great guy, Doug!
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:32 PM
Heavy thinker..I mean tinkerer
Canada, ON, Aylmer
Joined Apr 2009
746 Posts
I have the RC Speedo app also but can never get it to work with my Escape pylon racer. What am I doing wrong? The app creator said it only works good on Ducted fan configs.
TheBlood+ is offline Find More Posts by TheBlood+
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:36 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,834 Posts
@ DownUnderPilot....Great work on the folders .I love them because they just have the look,and i know looks and performance do not go hand in hand,but i am always willing to give up a bit,to get a bit....Long Story short,after finding out the Mellow Outrunner setup would go between 204 & 210,i started playing with some bigger lipo's,and found out what your prop likes for starters Now if you look at the vid i first posted with your prop,and this one,you will see they are just starting to come into there own ....thanks for your hard work,it makes me smile,ALOT....and i promise to put more power to them soon.
7X10 Folders from DownUnderPilot. (1 min 15 sec)
Old Oct 04, 2012, 05:00 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,817 Posts
Quote:
WOW ! seems the RC Speedo is spot on ....So far i am very impressed with the Outrunner,those are some nice speeds for making NO HEAT or stressing parts.
Remember, the speeds are faster in real life as you are soem bit away also, I think we can say those passes are 210mph if the phone was in the runway..

Good stuff..
sebbe is offline Find More Posts by sebbe
Old Oct 04, 2012, 06:05 PM
2012 NZ Speedcup - 231 MPH
New Zealand, Tasman, Richmond
Joined Mar 2006
2,072 Posts
Quote:
@ DownUnderPilot....Great work on the folders .I love them because they just have the look,and i know looks and performance do not go hand in hand,but i am always willing to give up a bit,to get a bit....Long Story short,after finding out the Mellow Outrunner setup would go between 204 & 210,i started playing with some bigger lipo's,and found out what your prop likes for starters Now if you look at the vid i first posted with your prop,and this one,you will see they are just starting to come into there own ....thanks for your hard work,it makes me smile,ALOT....and i promise to put more power to them soon. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TK2f...1&feature=plcp
Nice! I think they should appear to work better as you add power, since they are stiffer than the APC fixed version. They are also a little bit sharper on the L.E. / T.E. and the blades are slightly thinner. These factors should offset any disadvantage a folder has.
DownUnderPilot is offline Find More Posts by DownUnderPilot
Old Oct 04, 2012, 07:50 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,865 Posts
Quote:
Anytime you want.
Your type of R+D should be supported in some level by everyone because it helps the hobby advance. Everyone benefits.

______

Arcteryxxx,

I totally agree.
It is not just what he posts, it is how he posts. Excellent attitude.

----

Edit: sorry Arctery, just saw your other post now.
Yes, pushing for that now. At very least 22/50+ front shield can be adapted on rear of your 22/35 as Murdo did on his 22/30 at home.

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Last edited by GryphonRCU; Oct 04, 2012 at 10:58 PM.