"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,773 Posts
VooDoo, only for me, really ?

MAN, that is awsome, the speed is gaining pretty good... ,

OK, tell us, what have you done ?
sebbe is offline Find More Posts by sebbe
Last edited by sebbe; Oct 03, 2012 at 02:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2012, 01:21 PM
Canada, SK, Prince Albert
Joined Jan 2006
1,403 Posts
Speed brother from another mother....I worked on that first video (4th July) for a good part of the morning. Using 80F I am getting in the 190's give or take. The passes are not right over the camera and on a moving camera as well so...the good news is the speeds are higher than indicated. Doppler works like radar as far as angle goes...trust a retired cop on that one....the greater the angle the lower the reading. Those passes were pushing the big 2-OhOh.
Am working on the second video for ya now
arcticflyer is online now Find More Posts by arcticflyer
Old Oct 03, 2012, 01:24 PM
FlipF5D
Joined Nov 2007
146 Posts
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD Job- DOUG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!
FlipF5D is offline Find More Posts by FlipF5D
Old Oct 03, 2012, 01:34 PM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipF5D View Post
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD Job- DOUG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!
^+1
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Old Oct 03, 2012, 01:45 PM
Joined Dec 2008
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbe View Post
Thats a big intake, hope the air gets out, how big outlet do you have ?

By the way, what setup are you running?
mega 16/40/1c (5mm shaft)
kontronik jazz fai 18
5.5x5.5 graupner
3s 2700 65-130c nanotech

i tried last weekend with 4s and 5.5x5.5 and the esc cut.
lokomimu is offline Find More Posts by lokomimu
Old Oct 03, 2012, 01:45 PM
Joined Jan 2006
1,403 Posts
For the life of me...can't get a good chart to doppler the last outrunner video...will keep trying. For good doppler need a second camera set up stationary in the middle of the runway.

Love that setup!
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:18 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticflyer View Post
For the life of me...can't get a good chart to doppler the last outrunner video...will keep trying. For good doppler need a second camera set up stationary in the middle of the runway.

Love that setup!
artic, even if you did doppler the sound, it would not tell us much as he is flying the way he does, for correct speeds as you know, straight line, over the mic, and full throttle before and after AND same altitude.... as you see in Dougs video, he flyes prestty much anything reverse to what I said , so the doppler readings will just be missleading..

IF Doug wants the real speed, he will put the cam out on the runaway and do some real dopplerruns , then we can measure speed....
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:56 PM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2010
2,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbe View Post
artic, even if you did doppler the sound, it would not tell us much as he is flying the way he does, for correct speeds as you know, straight line, over the mic, and full throttle before and after AND same altitude.... as you see in Dougs video, he flyes prestty much anything reverse to what I said , so the doppler readings will just be missleading..

IF Doug wants the real speed, he will put the cam out on the runaway and do some real dopplerruns , then we can measure speed....
I CAN ONLY DO SO MUCH ! I AM ONLY ONE PERSON ! Besides,there is alot more speed to be gained,i am going with baby steps right now,i just wanted to make sure the plane was going to hold together,and you had an entertaining video to go with it
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:58 PM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2010
2,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticflyer View Post
Speed brother from another mother....I worked on that first video (4th July) for a good part of the morning. Using 80F I am getting in the 190's give or take. The passes are not right over the camera and on a moving camera as well so...the good news is the speeds are higher than indicated. Doppler works like radar as far as angle goes...trust a retired cop on that one....the greater the angle the lower the reading. Those passes were pushing the big 2-OhOh.
Am working on the second video for ya now
That is fast for a small inrunner flat and level,my phone app was showing 204 to 207MPH....221 with dives.
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Old Oct 03, 2012, 03:06 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,773 Posts
So what was the thing you did to the motor/setup Doug ? on the last video
Old Oct 03, 2012, 03:49 PM
Joined Jan 2006
1,403 Posts
VooDoo - you're right that was a smokin setup for a 28mm motor was that setup a Mega or a Neu?

I agree with running before sprinting...things happen when pushing the envelope...don't ask me how I know

That setup sounds and looks really good and if it is coming down cool that is even better...have learned that TEMP is everything. AMPS SHAMPS what matters is the case temp and ESC temp. Keep them down and you can keep pushing forward

Hunting season has started here and I'm taking a break from the plane...got a little burned out and when it isn't fun anymore...well...time to take a break. So I'll watch you...keep the vids comin!

Oh yeah, your phone app was pretty close...gotta ge me one of those!

Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:43 AM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,418 Posts
Can I ask a question about the cooling vents here in the Swist thread?
The rule of thumb I learned many years ago was simply 1/3 in and 2/3 out when it comes to vent sizing for cooling air. Was told the air heats and expands, how was I to get it out efficiently and so on. I see equal sized vents on most of the fuselages, one front and rear, Wouldn't a larger rear vent or two let it breathe better?
ApexAero is online now Find More Posts by ApexAero
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:57 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Sverige, Kronobergs Lšn, Ljungby
Joined Jan 2001
4,769 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAero View Post
Can I ask a question about the cooling vents here in the Swist thread?
The rule of thumb I learned many years ago was simply 1/3 in and 2/3 out when it comes to vent sizing for cooling air. Was told the air heats and expands, how was I to get it out efficiently and so on. I see equal sized vents on most of the fuselages, one front and rear, Wouldn't a larger rear vent or two let it breathe better?
Does the went help at all for these 1min duration short circuits??

Outrunner outside the fuselage has an obvious advantage compared to the small vents which enters the air pretty much behind the motor.
henke is offline Find More Posts by henke
Old Oct 04, 2012, 03:17 AM
I am actually really slow
Brisbane
Joined Jun 2008
959 Posts
Apparently there were people running geared setups at the worlds with no cooling at all! For 60 seconds of run time you could probably do without cooling if you stuck to F5D power. If you have an ally spinner to help soak away heat that's probably all you need. Most motors these days can take a fair amount of heat
SlowBarless is offline Find More Posts by SlowBarless
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Fiber up close
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:06 AM
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
2,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo Child View Post
I CAN ONLY DO SO MUCH ! I AM ONLY ONE PERSON ! Besides,there is alot more speed to be gained,i am going with baby steps right now,i just wanted to make sure the plane was going to hold together,and you had an entertaining video to go with it
Doug,
Great work and thank you for posting. I've just decided that if I die tonight that I want to be reincarnated as you! LOL!

I was sure a geared 16/40/1 would be the perfect setup for a Swist. Now I'm not so sure!
Peter M is offline Find More Posts by Peter M