HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:11 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo Child View Post
I am thinking it might have a lot more to do with the heat built up buy spinning a gear box and big prop then amp draw,cause the static amps were doable, else I would not have flown it.When I was spinning the small props direct,it took a lot longer to build up less heat......I will hook up a new controller tonight and get the static numbers again.....as far as esc settings,the only thing I changed was adding the break from what I had before.
Did you put any grease in the GB??

Terry
Chuchuf is online now Find More Posts by Chuchuf
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:18 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,761 Posts
Quote:
I am thinking it might have a lot more to do with the heat built up buy spinning a gear box and big prop then amp draw,cause the static amps were doable, else I would not have flown it.When I was spinning the small props direct,it took a lot longer to build up less heat......I will hook up a new controller tonight and get the static numbers again.....as far as esc settings,the only thing I changed was adding the break from what I had before.
OK, best is to check amps in flight, if Amps are same or lower then it was with the 6s flight with smaller props, then you have ghosts in your esc

Keep up, nice flying btw..
sebbe is offline Find More Posts by sebbe
Old Jul 24, 2012, 12:09 PM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2010
2,795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuchuf View Post
Yea it's for the X and I have looked at GM's 30mm spinner on the X and yea there would be about a 1mm gap. But that could be a good thing as I could put some small air passages in he firewall and use that gap for motor cooling.
I stated another thread on the AJA props and Bob says he has them. Just need to sort through some details.
My motor is an 1112 3250KV and 5.2 gear box which I think would be perfect for the 10/23GM based on calcs I did as well as what you have seen with the hotter motor. It should fly on 4S initially and then 5S to boogie!!
I'm down to mounting receiver (trying to use an AR-7000 with extended antennas), final glue on firewall, some cooling slots and a prop and she is ready to fly.

Terry
Oh yea,3250KV should be PERFECT.....and if it is only a mm off on the spinner,that is nothing......I did not even put my GM up to my X,but maybe I should have for a more informed response
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Old Jul 24, 2012, 12:15 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,795 Posts
Quote:
Did you put any grease in the GB??

Terry
I followed Jackosmeisters how to write up that he did on putting the gearbox together.....Peter M posted on the X thread a couple pages back from the end.I used a bit on everything,but not so much that it coated everything.....then spinning the shaft help spread it all around nice and even.It took about 3 times to get the amount I wanted in there,or just enough to make things spin smooth.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 01:08 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,259 Posts
Quote:
Oh yea,3250KV should be PERFECT.....and if it is only a mm off on the spinner,that is nothing......I did not even put my GM up to my X,but maybe I should have for a more informed response
I just measured and it's closer to 2mm off. It does look enemic and small but who cares at 200mph........lol

Terry
Chuchuf is online now Find More Posts by Chuchuf
Old Jul 24, 2012, 06:29 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbe View Post
OK, best is to check amps in flight, if Amps are same or lower then it was with the 6s flight with smaller props, then you have ghosts in your esc

Keep up, nice flying btw..
Well,i sent you the PM with the static info on 4S,and flying it on 4S was a BLAST,It is a very good match of pylon style,and hotliner.Now no matter what the logging says,i found out that this setup can take no more then 10 seconds full throttle OK...But i am a Speed Junkie,and do not want to fly the Swist like my X-Plane ......and i do not want to become a Lab Rat for stress testing the Ice Light 100 but i did not mind burning this one,because i only lost logging and the break,it was not a melt down,fire,or magic smoke,so this setup can take 10sec full throttle,but that inlays the problem for using this prop...It is easy to tell in my video buy the one pass around the 2min mark were i buzz my head real close,it takes 8 seconds for that prop to get working ,which means i want to double my full throttle time before the ESC goes Belly Up.....but that is just the way i want to fly it ....So i will not be sticking with this setup,unless putting my CC125 in there might get me a few more seconds of throttle time,but i also do not want to take a chance burning that up.I think i will give my other mega a go on the 4.2gb on 5S and see what it gives me.I enjoy the heck out of trying new things,but i am not sure how the plane feels,it has gone through SO many changes in such a short time ...and a big thanks for the kind words of my flying.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 06:38 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,795 Posts
Quote:
I just measured and it's closer to 2mm off. It does look enemic and small but who cares at 200mph........lol

Terry
OH SNAP....remember,i got 200mph stickers...if you hit that number-hit me up,and i will send you the Graphix On a side note,all you guys that got me hooked on this with your posts and videos,i just want to beat the living out of you It is like the 3D thing i went through,i am SCREWED for years to come.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 07:01 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,795 Posts
For those of you that PM'ed about running the 4S setup,i just went out and got 2 flights in after work,sorry for the video,my field is not good late in the day,and i had to use my hat-well as a hat That sun was brutal (lost sight of the plane once ) this is a Fun set-up,it gets up and goes,it can hold 3 big laps around the field at full throttle before feeling a sag,it gets a long flight with glide breaks,and it is SILENT....Oh,and the launch is a JOKE,it just leaves my hands and heads right were i want it.....But the ESC temps get up there a bit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBb4V...1&feature=plcp
Old Jul 25, 2012, 07:06 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,795 Posts
New setup going over to the solder table for ESC install,will try and fly it tomorrow and see what i get
Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:40 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2012
15 Posts
Nice shot .
seaqueen is offline Find More Posts by seaqueen
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 29, 2012, 04:41 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,795 Posts
After playing around with a few motor,gear box combos with the GM10X23 folder...now hands down the 16-35-1 w/5.2gb was the Fastest,but it built up a bit to much heat on the ESC by the time the prop was working good (great set for Florida winter flying)...fast forward to today,the Mega 16-35-1.5RE w/KGB4.2 worked out GREAT..the launch is Awesome,the speed is VERY GOOD,the Exceleration also Awesome,and very good flight time,and the Lipo still had 22% left in it....I will stick with this set tell my RS Outrunner comes in
Swist F5D w/2500kv 4.2gb w/10X23 GM Folder (3 min 17 sec)
Old Jul 30, 2012, 09:00 PM
USA, CA, Martinez
Joined Feb 2001
1,668 Posts
I found a lonely servo horn screw sitting on my work bench right after I finished gluing in the elevator servo. . So I drilled a tiny hole in the fuse and gooped the screw onto a screwdriver. Surprisingly, it was not that hard to get the screw in.

Now I just need to check the throws and cg after installing the servo covers.

Speaking of control surface throws... 3mm up and 2mm down is working for everyone?
mumblety-peg is offline Find More Posts by mumblety-peg
Old Jul 30, 2012, 10:28 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,795 Posts
3up 2down works great....I double that for landing,she can get mushy with the spoilers up.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 06:04 AM
Joined Oct 2008
490 Posts
VooDoo - your happy posts have convinced me to order a Swist - AJ should send you a free plane or a fruit basket at least lol.
I have a 1509/1y which will require the fuse to be cut back. Im concerned with getting the mount straight - can someone please give me some pointers or a thread on this forum.
War Machine is offline Find More Posts by War Machine
Old Aug 01, 2012, 08:41 AM
Joined Aug 2010
2,795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Machine View Post
VooDoo - your happy posts have convinced me to order a Swist - AJ should send you a free plane or a fruit basket at least lol.
I have a 1509/1y which will require the fuse to be cut back. Im concerned with getting the mount straight - can someone please give me some pointers or a thread on this forum.
LOL,well seeing how I could not even get a pair of servo covers without pulling out my wallet again,I will not hold my breath on the fruit basket .What prop do you plane on running on that big old high kv motor? I am curious as to your setup.As far as cutting the nose,the only fun part will be dealing with the Kevlar weave inside....I am figuring it will take a bit of work to make nice to the eye,but not all to bad.