HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 17, 2012, 11:12 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,792 Posts
Thanks guys.

I guess SPektrum is the only one that makes them?

I hope my Hi-Tec Optima antennas will fit.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2012, 11:22 AM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2010
2,832 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
Where do you find those white antenna plugs that hold the antennas outside the fuse?
If you want to go with the Batmobile or 59 Cadillac Look,you can go with these...They have them at Graves Hobby,they also have the Spektrum ones,but i was liking these for how far out from the fuse that it puts the antenna,plus they are rubber and hold the atennta real snug without have to add any type of glue to hold them in place.They come in clear,i just went out and got some Valspar plastic paint and sprayed them up....Paint is holding on great even with the bit of flexing these do.
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Old May 17, 2012, 11:31 AM
Joined Aug 2010
2,832 Posts
Quote:
Thanks guys.

I guess SPektrum is the only one that makes them?

I hope my Hi-Tec Optima antennas will fit.
Opppppps,i was posting the same time as you,and walked away for a bit before i hit submit reply The ones i posted could work with the Boda i am sure,seeing how they are rubber.You can cut it to length,and also cut a slit in them to insert the wire....If i remember,the Spektrum ones are plastic,would make it harder to mod it for the Boda......Or,could you just use the Boda itself as the mount ?
Old May 17, 2012, 11:45 AM
Joined Aug 2010
2,832 Posts
QUESTION FOR THE SMART GUYS ! OK,i am on a mission to use these 5cell packs (seeing why that is the main reason i purchased the Swist,being told these packs and my CC100ice would fit-i already had to ditch the Ice and buy the Ice Light) Can i get away with turning my servo lead exit hole into an Oval Shape ? and how much can i get away with before it takes away from the wings strengh ? I just need to get some presure off the wires so the wing does not cut into the insulation.....IT IS SOOOOOO CLOSE TO FITTING.
Old May 17, 2012, 12:40 PM
Don't take your guns to town
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Mar 2004
2,579 Posts
Sure Voodoo, it's no problem to open up that hole quite a bit. Just don't make any sharp corners or sharp edges in the process.

Why are people putting those crazy antenna things on the Swist? It's 2.4 safe -- the antennas are best located inside where they won't get damaged. You're only inviting disaster with those nasty catfish.
vespa is online now Find More Posts by vespa
Old May 17, 2012, 03:14 PM
Russia
Joined Dec 2008
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa View Post
It's 2.4 safe -- the antennas are best located inside where they won't get damaged. You're only inviting disaster with those nasty catfish.
NO, NO, NO!!! Fuse of Swist is NOT friendly to 2.4
The fuse has 3 layers of fiber. The first layer it's carbon, second - clean Kevlar, third - mix kevlar/carbon.

All antennas only outside!
Jimas is offline Find More Posts by Jimas
Old May 17, 2012, 03:35 PM
Don't take your guns to town
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Mar 2004
2,579 Posts
That makes no sense on any level. First, we've known for 44 years that carbon is unsuitable for R/C fuselages so why would they make such a mistake? Second, Kevlar and carbon won't stick to each other so they are almost never laminated as you describe -- hence the need for hybrid weaves.

But looking thru this thread it seems they did mistakenly manufacture some carbon fuselages:

As well as some modern fuselages:

I can't imagine they'd laminate carbon with that Kevlar, it just wouldn't stick. Easy to verify with a flashlight though. If light evenly gets thru, there's no carbon layer.
vespa is online now Find More Posts by vespa
Old May 17, 2012, 05:53 PM
Greeley, Colorado, USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo Child View Post
If you want to go with the Batmobile or 59 Cadillac Look,you can go with these...They have them at Graves Hobby,they also have the Spektrum ones,but i was liking these for how far out from the fuse that it puts the antenna,plus they are rubber and hold the atennta real snug without have to add any type of glue to hold them in place.They come in clear,i just went out and got some Valspar plastic paint and sprayed them up....Paint is holding on great even with the bit of flexing these do.
Those look good, but I don't really like how they position the antennas parallel to the fuselage and each other.
The Spektrum guides in post 611 have the same problem.

I'm sure people are flying that way successfully, but ideally the antennas should be positioned 90 degrees from each other.

Lenny
Lenny970 is online now Find More Posts by Lenny970
Old May 17, 2012, 07:58 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny970 View Post
Those look good, but I don't really like how they position the antennas parallel to the fuselage and each other.

I'm sure people are flying that way successfully, but ideally the antennas should be positioned 90 degrees from each other.

Lenny
Which ones do you suggest?
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old May 17, 2012, 10:55 PM
Greeley, Colorado, USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,831 Posts
Quote:
Which ones do you suggest?
I haven't found any that I really like, so I generally don't use them.

I usually add a protective layer of clear heatshrink over the antenna ends and extend them straight out from the fuse at 90 degrees apart.
Another small piece of heatshrink is then added so the antennas can not accidentally slip back into the fuselage.

Lenny
Lenny970 is online now Find More Posts by Lenny970
Old May 18, 2012, 04:45 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Sverige, Kronobergs Lšn, Ljungby
Joined Jan 2001
4,801 Posts
I've posted my strakes before, they work well. I'm on DSMX so I can check the number of frame losses, I have not done that yet but I will look at it next time I fly. I did't know that option was there until a couple of days ago

henke is online now Find More Posts by henke
Old May 18, 2012, 10:35 AM
215.0 MPH
United States, VT, Essex
Joined Jul 2007
1,182 Posts
Which Spektrum receiver?

Quote:
I haven't found any that I really like, so I generally don't use them.

I usually add a protective layer of clear heatshrink over the antenna ends and extend them straight out from the fuse at 90 degrees apart.
Another small piece of heatshrink is then added so the antennas can not accidentally slip back into the fuselage.

Lenny
markusvt is offline Find More Posts by markusvt
Old May 18, 2012, 12:34 PM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Sverige, Kronobergs Lšn, Ljungby
Joined Jan 2001
4,801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by henke View Post
I'm on DSMX so I can check the number of frame losses, I have not done that yet but I will look at it next time I fly. I did't know that option was there until a couple of days ago
hm apparently it isn't an option, however the BNF Geebee does store that data... hm
henke is online now Find More Posts by henke
Old May 18, 2012, 02:53 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,832 Posts
Quote:

Lenny
So i went out flying the swist this morning,seeing how we have had some massive thunderstorms and hail the last couple days,and even a tornado that i got to drive past ....and the whole time i had your post on the back of my mind .....But i will tell you why i used these.Seeing how this was my first carbon airframe,i was a bit freaked after reading a bunch of posts about the first spektrum carbon fuse RX (think it was the AR6250) and a bunch of posts about JR and Spek just not being a good system for carbon fuse....but i also read a bunch of posts about the newer AR6255 working very well....again,still a bit scared,so i inlisted the help of my good friends,and owner of the LHS-John and Dillon Graves (Dillon is a pilot for Team USA in the Glider comps) He told me to just stop over thinking this thing,use these exits on the fuse,and just make sure they are mounted in a V position above the wing....So i just went with it...On a good note,i now have 34 flights on the Swist,and she has been flawless...Fingers crossed
Old May 18, 2012, 03:08 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,832 Posts
OK,what a wacked out day...Soooo the weatherman was way off,they called for a nice day with cool weather behind the front that went through and low wind...well,ended up having a very hot and steamy day with thunderstorms all around and a 14mph wind right down the runway....that was not going to stop me,i wanted to try out my new vid cam (thought i had a propblem with my old one,out of nowhere my vids looked great on the cam,but got trippy lines and colors after downloading them,well,it is not the camera-more money wasted ) and do some doppler passes on 4 cells before i start flying it on 5 cells this weekend (plus those 4 cell packs are for my EF-1 Shoestring,will be running pylons with that this weekend) i also made a box to put the cam in to kill the wind noise,but i ended up making it to big,so it sits crooked in the chair ...then my voice on the doppler decided it did not want to work (come to find out a friend went in and was playing with the settings)...OK,enough of my whinning,and skip the other things that did not go right today....Cause in the end,I HAD A BLAST flying the swist...i enjoy the heck out of this thing....so here is a crap vid of me trying to do some voice doppler passes with my new cam that looks like junk cause i have a problem some place else....and a pic of the runs that it picked up....Temps at the time were in the 80's-humidity was 290% and winds were 14mph right down the runway.....i will get all this stuff sorted over the weekend and retry this whole thing