Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:35 AM
I am actually really slow
Brisbane
Joined Jun 2008
955 Posts
I used to have some 85 and 81's here a long time ago (They are an old servo). From memory they seemed to work just fine. They are analogue remember, so they wont have the accuracy or holding power of a digital servo. I honestly think you should just go with a JR285 or a hs 5065 and call it a day.

No need at all to run a hs 85 on the elevator, even if you're shootin for 300mph.

Ball links are the best linkages for these things. They last way longer then a typical clevis and are easier to maintain. Especially if you buy the right ones. Us heli guys know just how robust ball linkages are
SlowBarless is online now Find More Posts by SlowBarless
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Fiber up close
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:42 AM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzu View Post
..one other question-u know how the hitec 85mg hunts arnd abit with centering...does the 85bb have the same quirks?
Yes they do, except with the BB, you do not have the metal geartrain, so there is less slop. Otherwise, it is identical to the mg version

Hey SB, whats the new avatar ? I can make out teeth .................
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Last edited by moparmyway; Jan 28, 2013 at 08:55 AM.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:50 PM
Brisbane
Joined Jun 2008
955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmyway View Post
Hey SB, whats the new avatar ? I can make out teeth .................
Front of a P-40 Warkhawk! Its about 50 years before my time, but I still think it's one sexy bird
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:48 AM
New Zealand, Bay Of Plenty, Omokoroa
Joined Dec 2012
722 Posts
Yip-ball links for sure
blitzu is offline Find More Posts by blitzu
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:09 AM
Brisbane
Joined Jun 2008
955 Posts
Not sure if Ive posted this before Blitzu, but these are the links/balls to get.

http://www.quickuk.eu/cat/general_pa...s___links.html
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:17 AM
Deutschland, RP, Niederzissen
Joined Dec 2011
849 Posts
About ball-linkage:

Quote:
Ball links are the best linkages for these things. They last way longer then a typical clevis and are easier to maintain. Especially if you buy the right ones. Us heli guys know just how robust ball linkages are
I would agree to most of that but its not the ball-joint itsself i am worried about.

Let me take this example:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=291

If you bolt the ball right to the side of the horn you dont have a straight force direction,you have a kind of 90°lever of 5mm at your horn,which wants to trist your horn.
As usual ailleron-horn of fiberglas or even carbon are about 1-1,5mm thick they can take massive forces in axial direction but are pretty weak if you twist them.
The longer your horns are the worse!!!

I dont want to think about the situation at the inside with plastic servoarms!!!

Such a linkage will appear slope-free but it will be more flexible at high ailleron -forces than a simple( but well done) clevis or z-rod connection.

It would be bossible to use two horns with the ball bolted in between, maybe this can give some inspiration:
http://www.cnc-extra.de/epages/17245...Products/LDSQU

Regards
Yello
Mreyello is offline Find More Posts by Mreyello
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:40 AM
Brisbane
Joined Jun 2008
955 Posts
You are absolutely right Yello, but the same forces are applied with Z or L bends to.

I did say in my post you gotta get the right stuff. See photo as to how I did mine.

At first I was concerned about the plastic control horn on the servo twisting. But It doesnt seem to be a problem. The arm is so short there's no way its going to flex. The servo will stall before something flexes!

RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:08 AM
Joined Dec 2011
849 Posts
With clevis or z-connector there is no torsion forces at the arm, when linkage is proper aligned.
The z-rod gets some bending forves at the corner wich is easy to handle by a 1.5mm rod due to the short lever.

Your solution looks nice, you solved the problem at the outside and i am sure it will work reliable but for me its still not
Quote:
best linkages for these things

I dont want to keep anybody away from using ball-links,just wanted to show the problems.

Yello
Last edited by Mreyello; Jan 29, 2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:21 AM
Joined Dec 2011
849 Posts
By the way,
I do not use z.rods cause they may be able to move, i use a simple steelrod bent 90° and lock it with a small tube:

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...igor%20006.jpg
Last edited by Mreyello; Jan 29, 2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:24 AM
2012 NZ Speedcup - 231 MPH
New Zealand, Tasman, Richmond
Joined Mar 2006
1,942 Posts
For me, the ultimate is Gold n Rod and sullivan clevises for long reaches, and just threaded rod with the same clevis at each end when short distances are involved.
DownUnderPilot is offline Find More Posts by DownUnderPilot
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:40 AM
London
Joined Jul 2003
887 Posts
Ben
Where you have the ball link on the aileron the pivot point is such that it will create differential and also the downward moving aileron will move quicker then the upward.

You probably wouldn't notice this if you're not trying to fly a course otherwise you end up spending a lot of time trying to get the diff right.

Also the forces on the ball at the servo end will twist the servo arm and with the harder servo arm material will break it. I've even broken servo arms with z-bends using the thinner fitted servo arm supplied with the amd servos. I always replace with the disc version which I cut to suit as it is thicker.

Just saying.....
Darron is offline Find More Posts by Darron
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:23 PM
Brisbane
Joined Jun 2008
955 Posts
I thought I did a good job with these linkages

I think at the end of the day I just got sick of messing with Z bends and clevises (used to building helis, clevises are strange to me ). I wanted something that could be easily maintained and something that wouldn't develop slop quickly.

Don't know how you managed to break a servo arm Darron. I'm using the fattest servo arms that came with the servo and reshaped them so it wouldn't bind on anything. I don't think I have to worry about breaking servo arms.

Regards to the differential problem. I haven't flown this model as Its a friends one so can't comment on how well it rolls. However it looks to be sweet in the corners. I thought because the aileron tucks underneath the bottom skin, reducing its surface area, slightly more down is needed to get the plane to roll on axis? Although I have been told that for proper racing more up then down helps?
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SlowBarless; Jan 29, 2013 at 12:31 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:20 PM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,261 Posts
Is the differential issue caused by the link not being directly over the hinge line, or some other features?
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:04 PM
Joined Mar 2006
1,942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcteryxxx View Post
Is the differential issue caused by the link not being directly over the hinge line, or some other features?
Correct. The link should ideally be directly over the hinge line. Of course sometimes that is not practical.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:09 PM
Joined Mar 2006
1,942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mreyello View Post
As usual ailleron-horn of fiberglas or even carbon are about 1-1,5mm thick they can take massive forces in axial direction but are pretty weak if you twist them.
The longer your horns are the worse!!!
You should try these Yello, they are untwistable, literally. Really an amazing product for $2!

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...2pcs_bag_.html