HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:16 AM
Registered User
Hemet California
Joined Jul 2009
765 Posts
Hey VooDoo, whens the big move? Cant wait to see the speeder you and Yuri come up with...
D.English is offline Find More Posts by D.English
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:28 AM
Registered User
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2010
4,042 Posts
Whoa.... VooDoo, when, where, and why are you moving?

And are you really selling that swist?
Jwmflying14 is online now Find More Posts by Jwmflying14
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:48 AM
Sure it'll work
Flyextreme's Avatar
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2005
4,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzu View Post
Thats 45mm bck frm the Le....but that 45mm in,is measured halfway alng the wing..

Its measured halfway alng the wing,because on most general wing shapes halfway is the average chord lenght...
Flyextreme is offline Find More Posts by Flyextreme
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:06 PM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
VooDoo Child's Avatar
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2010
2,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.English View Post
Hey VooDoo, whens the big move? Cant wait to see the speeder you and Yuri come up with...
I am heading there Friday for a few days for my b-day...and pick up my new boat The big move will be March 1st or 15th.....But that will take over a week as we are heading to VA Beach and NY NY to see family,then heading to Vegas for a few days...then up to Portland.....Yuri will only be 4 miles from my house
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:09 PM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
VooDoo Child's Avatar
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2010
2,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwmflying14 View Post
Whoa.... VooDoo, when, where, and why are you moving?

And are you really selling that swist?
I am selling the Swist so I can get into the West Coast racing screen ...I am moving to Portland for the same reason any man moves 3500 miles from what he knows- Chasing Skirt
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:04 PM
Have you seen my Cobra?
vespa's Avatar
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Mar 2004
2,564 Posts
FYI the textbook method for describing c.g. location is in % of the mean aero chord, taken *at* the mean aero chord. This chord is not simple by any means, and though it is located somewhere spanwise outward, it's almost always an imaginary chord line that is partially off the wing, sometimes even completely off the wing, and usually a different length than the nearby chord. See pic for an example. It is extremely difficult to calculate this and only necessary for aero design so the hobby convention is completely different and in no way similar, compatible or meaningful. In the hobby we simply measure the chord at the fuselage intersection and take a percentage of that (a completely worthless number) or we simply measure from the leading edge along the fuselage.

Screenshot below taken from Montag's excellent c.g. calc.
vespa is offline Find More Posts by vespa
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:12 PM
Crashing into the sky!
jackosmeister's Avatar
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,289 Posts
^ This +1
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:11 PM
You down with EPP?
johnnyrocco123's Avatar
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,778 Posts
I am guessing with a 5mm motor shaft, I am not going to have a spinner on my Swist.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:37 PM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
VooDoo Child's Avatar
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2010
2,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
I am guessing with a 5mm motor shaft, I am not going to have a spinner on my Swist.
Did you call Esprit or Atlanta Hobby...thought they had a few that will work....you can use a folder spinner without the yoke.....But do not hold me to it,i am in the garage with the music kicking,sipping Framboise while working on the boat : )
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Last edited by VooDoo Child; Jan 21, 2013 at 07:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:04 PM
You down with EPP?
johnnyrocco123's Avatar
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo Child View Post
Sure,just use a folder .....Or get a Graupner.
Graupner doesn't make a 30mm for a 5mm shaft.


I am looking into a different motor though.

Mega 16/40/1.5S (1915kv)

Should be available in 3.2mm shaft.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:04 AM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Arcteryxxx's Avatar
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
Graupner doesn't make a 30mm for a 5mm shaft.


I am looking into a different motor though.

Mega 16/40/1.5S (1915kv)

Should be available in 3.2mm shaft.
AeroNaut does: http://www.electricwingman.com/product.aspx?product=810
Just skip the middle piece and put the prop straight on. Works like a charm.
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:57 AM
Chillaxin dude!
BulletMaster's Avatar
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
4,795 Posts
Arctery,
We tried those spinners at 33K RPM + and they deformed to the point of imbalance (on a Reverb/wasp/mibo).

RFM does a CF spinner, but it's a folder type. Means the blade choice is more restricted.
BulletMaster is online now Find More Posts by BulletMaster
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:54 AM
Registered User
blitzu's Avatar
New Zealand, Bay Of Plenty, Omokoroa
Joined Dec 2012
782 Posts
CG.....Nice,learn't sumthing new today...
Yea my last 2 planes have been custom jobs,and with swept wings etc the builder always balanced them halfway along...as the last wing shape (avatar) was quite a complicated wing shape..but he was the designer/builder so knew w he was doing.
Will def balance swist by fuse thou
blitzu is offline Find More Posts by blitzu
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:59 AM
Registered User
blitzu's Avatar
New Zealand, Bay Of Plenty, Omokoroa
Joined Dec 2012
782 Posts
[QUOTE=BulletMaster;23889752]Arctery,
We tried those spinners at 33K RPM + and they deformed to the point of imbalance.


Bro i was thinking about going with a aeronaut folding spinner..would they handle 28k rpm ish no worries?
cheers
blitzu is offline Find More Posts by blitzu
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:46 AM
Registered User
la528it's Avatar
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2007
2,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa View Post
FYI the textbook method for describing c.g. location is in % of the mean aero chord, taken *at* the mean aero chord. This chord is not simple by any means, and though it is located somewhere spanwise outward, it's almost always an imaginary chord line that is partially off the wing, sometimes even completely off the wing, and usually a different length than the nearby chord. See pic for an example. It is extremely difficult to calculate this and only necessary for aero design so the hobby convention is completely different and in no way similar, compatible or meaningful. In the hobby we simply measure the chord at the fuselage intersection and take a percentage of that (a completely worthless number) or we simply measure from the leading edge along the fuselage.

Screenshot below taken from Montag's excellent c.g. calc.
I second Jeremy's statements. When I measure at the intersection of the fuse, my Reynolds numbers are off by a factor of around 1.6180!!!!
la528it is offline Find More Posts by la528it
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools