HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 08, 2011, 12:46 PM
Fit to CFIT
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Mar 2004
2,495 Posts
Rob, there are plenty of reasons for short antennas:
- Losses are tremendous in thin coax, probably on the order of half the signal strength every 300mm (12 inches)
- The wire is extremely fragile and you should make every effort to keep it inside the plane for protection anyway
- It is very expensive
vespa is offline Find More Posts by vespa
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2011, 09:43 AM
"RC ADDICT" in Toronto!
Toronto Canada
Joined Aug 2004
1,697 Posts
Anyone know if Hyperion DS 09's fit in the Swist's wing ok? I've heard that if these servos are squeezed even a little the gears can get messed up?

Colin

wollins is offline Find More Posts by wollins
Old Apr 17, 2011, 07:43 AM
"RC ADDICT" in Toronto!
Toronto Canada
Joined Aug 2004
1,697 Posts
Nobody?
Old Apr 19, 2011, 03:20 AM
Germany
Joined Jul 2010
485 Posts
I can say yes to the latter part of your question, the housing of the servos is very thin and any warping or pressure on it will increase friction which is detrimental to current draw, power and accuracy up to the point of smoking the servo. Some people have installed them while the wing was still open in the mould and apparently they squeezed them a little too much when the mould was closed so they burned at the first power up.
Kwahn is online now Find More Posts by Kwahn
Old Apr 19, 2011, 08:24 AM
"RC ADDICT" in Toronto!
Toronto Canada
Joined Aug 2004
1,697 Posts
Thanks Kwahn,

I was beginning to wonder if anyone was still following this thread! I'm having a bit of a difficult time deciding between the D60's and the D09's ...

Read a lot of good about the Hyperions and some cons ... but mostly pros on the D60's which I'm getting the impression was the sortof standar servos for these types of planes. This is my first plane of this "type" (F5D) so I want to set it up right the first time.

Any opinions on one servo over the other? (You guys know all the pros and cons of both!) Mine will have flaps btw.

Colin
Old Apr 19, 2011, 08:46 AM
Go on just 1 more beer then
Bournemouth Intl, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Aug 2004
726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wollins View Post
Thanks Kwahn,

I was beginning to wonder if anyone was still following this thread! I'm having a bit of a difficult time deciding between the D60's and the D09's ...

Read a lot of good about the Hyperions and some cons ... but mostly pros on the D60's which I'm getting the impression was the sortof standar servos for these types of planes. This is my first plane of this "type" (F5D) so I want to set it up right the first time.

Any opinions on one servo over the other? (You guys know all the pros and cons of both!) Mine will have flaps btw.

Colin
In reply to the bit about the D60 or SD150 as it is also sold. I have recently put together a new Viper and yet again I have used D60's in the wing.

The servos is very good and 2 date I have no reason to look elsewhere as they work faultlessly. I have also used them on the Flaps of my Demon and although I do not have the model any more it is still flying and still has the same servos in it 4-5 years later.

I did manage to lock up 1 once on installation. It was nothing to do with squeezing but simply I had sanded the cover a bit much when roughing it up to glue it in and simply the glue was able to get into the cover and it all smoked when I turned it on. That was my fault not the servo.

The hyperion is a good servos used by many but at 3x the cost im happy with D60's
Rob AR is offline Find More Posts by Rob AR
Old Apr 19, 2011, 09:48 AM
"RC ADDICT" in Toronto!
Toronto Canada
Joined Aug 2004
1,697 Posts
Thanks for that Rob ... I'm leaning towards the same opinion cause in all my research I've been hard pressed to really find negatives about the D60's so really finding it harder to justify the cost of the Hyps.

Not that I want to "cheap out" on one of these models but if the more inexpensive ones are not "cheap" in terms of quality and function then it becomes harder to justify NOT using them.

Colin

P.S. Research continuing ... (Yeah I know, sometimes I suffer from "Paralysis by analysis"! )
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:03 AM
Go on just 1 more beer then
Bournemouth Intl, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Aug 2004
726 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for that Rob ... I'm leaning towards the same opinion cause in all my research I've been hard pressed to really find negatives about the D60's so really finding it harder to justify the cost of the Hyps.

Not that I want to "cheap out" on one of these models but if the more inexpensive ones are not "cheap" in terms of quality and function then it becomes harder to justify NOT using them.

Colin

P.S. Research continuing ... (Yeah I know, sometimes I suffer from "Paralysis by analysis"! )
I can assure you if I thought I could gain an advantage using other servos I would, especially as I flew in the World Champs last year.

All 3 models had SD150's (D60's) in the wings!
Rob AR is offline Find More Posts by Rob AR
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:56 AM
London
Joined Jul 2003
887 Posts
Quote:

Colin

D60's are fine, but the quality varies.
But whatever the d60s do, the ds09 does better.
The main thing for me was that they centre much better and the full set of metal gears and no slop. Digital vs analog.
But you've not really said which ds09 you are looking at.
I've used amd on the ailerons and tail and gsd on flaps.
If I did it again I would also put gsd on the tail. Flaps are nice and snappy.
Darron is offline Find More Posts by Darron
Old Apr 19, 2011, 02:57 PM
"RC ADDICT" in Toronto!
Toronto Canada
Joined Aug 2004
1,697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darron View Post
But you've not really said which ds09 you are looking at.
I was thinking about the DS 09 SCD Carbon Poly's as I've gotten the impression that metal gears in general are prone to slop after a while?

Colin
Old Apr 19, 2011, 03:05 PM
London
Joined Jul 2003
887 Posts
Quote:
I was thinking about the DS 09 SCD Carbon Poly's as I've gotten the impression that metal gears in general are prone to slop after a while?

Colin
Mine still have no slop. The oldest is almost 3 years old now and has flown the most.
But the carbon polys are good too. You don't get that option with the D60's.
Darron is offline Find More Posts by Darron
Old Apr 19, 2011, 04:08 PM
Sure it'll work
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2005
4,271 Posts
Don't forget all the programing options with DS09's.
Flyextreme is offline Find More Posts by Flyextreme
Old Apr 26, 2011, 12:12 AM
I'd rather be soaring.
United States, CA, Bermuda Dunes
Joined Mar 2011
19 Posts
Quote:
Nobody?
I had DS09-AMD servos on the Swist that I crashed no damage to all servos,
D60s on a Jibe 2 for over 150 flights still going strong; both are good; D60 can operated with small 2S lipo without BEC, DS09 operated at 6V max.
IWRBSoaring is offline Find More Posts by IWRBSoaring
Last edited by IWRBSoaring; Apr 26, 2011 at 12:28 AM.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 01:09 PM
"RC ADDICT" in Toronto!
Toronto Canada
Joined Aug 2004
1,697 Posts
Thanks guys ... still waiting impatiently for my Swist!

Colin
Old Apr 27, 2011, 10:50 AM
I'd rather be soaring.
United States, CA, Bermuda Dunes
Joined Mar 2011
19 Posts
Quote:
Thanks guys ... still waiting impatiently for my Swist!

Colin
Same here, Colin.
Just received this well-made Kavlor reinforced shoulder and metal pivot bushings 8.75x23 CFK folding prop from Marcus for a gear drive set-up, can't wait to try on the Rev. 2 Swist (flaps and one piece wing)....
IWRBSoaring is offline Find More Posts by IWRBSoaring