HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 17, 2011, 12:05 PM
"RC ADDICT" in Toronto!
Toronto Canada
Joined Aug 2004
1,739 Posts
Any progress the Swist, guys? SJ? Swoop?

Colin
wollins is offline Find More Posts by wollins
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2011, 05:10 PM
Windburner Factory Pilot
Joined May 2008
2,986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wollins View Post
Any progress the Swist, guys? SJ? Swoop?

Colin
Still waiting on servo covers from the manufacturer to buy servos suitable.
Might make a start on the fuz this week while i wait.
Still looking for a power setup.Motor,esc,batt combo for outright speed.
Any suggestions?
swoop119 is offline Find More Posts by swoop119
Old Mar 17, 2011, 05:45 PM
"RC ADDICT" in Toronto!
Toronto Canada
Joined Aug 2004
1,739 Posts
Dunno about outright speed as I'm going for a hybrid F5B/F5D setup ... should be pretty fast though ...

Big 4S pack, big Mega and medium diameter folder ... something in the region of 7" or so.

Colin
Old Mar 17, 2011, 05:55 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,388 Posts
^ What 7" folder are you thinking?

Most 7" folders are S6P2, unless youve found the holygrail, a highly pitched 7" carbon folder good for a squllion RPM?

I was hunting for one last week, couldnt find anything. With the new eflight 5" folders there seems to be a gap between 5" and 12" for high power setups.
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Mar 18, 2011, 06:17 AM
300 mph club ;-)
Regensburg, Germany
Joined Apr 2003
537 Posts
Hi Speed-guys!
High pitch-folder carbon speedprops are available at me !
7x13, 8x12,5, 8,5x23, 9x14, 9,8x17,5, 10x11, 11x11, 10x17, 11x17! Not exactly for a squllion RPM but tested to nearly 30000rpm! To much power for most motors or to much speed for the pilots ;-)!

Ciao, Marcus
M. Koch is offline Find More Posts by M. Koch
Last edited by M. Koch; Mar 18, 2011 at 09:23 AM.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 08:17 AM
"RC ADDICT" in Toronto!
Toronto Canada
Joined Aug 2004
1,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackosmeister
unless youve found the holygrail, a highly pitched 7" carbon folder good for a squllion RPM?

Exactly.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 01:42 AM
Huntington Beach So. Cal
Joined Jul 2008
880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Koch View Post
Hi Speed-guys!
High pitch-folder carbon speedprops are available at me !
7x13, 8x12,5, 8,5x23, 9x14, 9,8x17,5, 10x11, 11x11, 10x17, 11x17! Not exactly for a squllion RPM but tested to nearly 30000rpm! To much power for most motors or to much speed for the pilots ;-)!

Ciao, Marcus
Looks like it's time to buy some new toys!
grobbins666 is online now Find More Posts by grobbins666
Old Mar 25, 2011, 02:57 PM
I'd rather be soaring.
United States, CA, Bermuda Dunes
Joined Mar 2011
19 Posts
Hi everyone,

My Swist is ready to maiden the CG is set at 45mm and +0.5 Deg. on the steb like the Jibe-2 but not quite sure for Swist, is anyone know what is the correct CG and the Incidence?
IWRBSoaring is offline Find More Posts by IWRBSoaring
Old Mar 25, 2011, 09:37 PM
Russia
Joined Dec 2008
23 Posts
The CG for Swist 44 ... 48 mm, 50 mm with caution. CG at 48 mm model is not possible to dump into a tailspin.
Jimas is offline Find More Posts by Jimas
Old Mar 25, 2011, 11:22 PM
"RC ADDICT" in Toronto!
Toronto Canada
Joined Aug 2004
1,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWRBSoaring View Post
Hi everyone,

My Swist is ready to maiden the CG is set at 45mm and +0.5 Deg. on the steb like the Jibe-2 but not quite sure for Swist, is anyone know what is the correct CG and the Incidence?

Good luck on the maiden, IWRBS!

Colin
Old Mar 26, 2011, 08:34 PM
I'd rather be soaring.
Joined Mar 2011
19 Posts
Thank you Jimas for the CG setting and Colin for the good luck wishes.

Maiden was yesterday with the setting as I posed, power with Neu 1112-2D, CC100 Ice, TP 3300 4S 65C and a APC 4.75x5.5 its a simple light set up for maiden; the control setting AIL +6mm/-3.5mm, ELEV +4mm/-3mm and the landing setting with +6mm spoilrons (I got the AIL only version and its hot pink) taped down trilerons.
Launching the Swist was as easy as my Jibe-2, just 1/2 THRO and up she go. In flight it required some ELEV down trim (-1mm) to hold the level flight but no AIL trim required, so I did few laps of mid speed turing and tested the spoilrons with (-0.5mm) down ELEV compensation and came in landing to reset the CG forward.
The first landing spproaching speed was slightly higher than my Jibe-2 with same +6mm spoilrons set up but it was very manageable and landed safely.
For 2nd test flight I moved the CG to 44mm to offset the down ELEV trim, but it still required 1/2 of maiden ELEV trim (-0.5mm) but at WOT its fast, straight and level no pitch up or down, only when I roll into a left/right hand vertically bank turn the tail drop slightly but the turns are still very crisp and responsive in and out of the turns, after some exciting hight speed turns and pass, I THRO off up high and put it into a vertical steep dive, it tents to nose over, all those still pointed to tail heavy to me, so I decided its time to come in landing for 43mm CG. I power off and circle around to bleed out speed came around into wind to set up a final approach and when I switched the spoilrons the unthinkable happen; the plan nose pitched up and rolled into a spin stall before I can reset the spoilrons and push the nose down to recove the stall, it hits the ground all I saw was pices of black and pink bounced up in the air. The tail boom broked off in half and the carbon wing joiner box riped off the right wing root, everything els is OK except air frame and the prop. So I guess no 43mm CG flight test for me.
I think the main caused of the crash is the result of 1) pilot error by missed judge the landing approach speed (the wind gust up to 15-20 mph during the landing approach. 2)Tail heavy at a low speed during landing approach 3) Too much reflex angle of spoilrons caused airflow separates from upper wing at the tip. Or maybe all this is just simple pilot error.
overall, I really like the Swist even I only had 2 flights (<5 min)out of it, but for sure I will call Bob SUSA Monday to arrange another one with FLAPS, hope someone will post other flight results with better CG, Incidence setting, next one I'm start with 40mm CG to be on the safe side

Happy landing everyone

Your Swist test pilot
PS: for those who not use carbon receiver, do not install your receiver pass 6cm from the back side of opening because the tail boom from that point is all carbon and have a Sat. receiver out front.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 09:14 PM
Chillaxin dude!
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
4,808 Posts
bummer.. sorry for your loss buddy... But thanks for the flight report.
BulletMaster is offline Find More Posts by BulletMaster
Old Mar 26, 2011, 10:03 PM
"RC ADDICT" in Toronto!
Toronto Canada
Joined Aug 2004
1,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWRBSoaring View Post
Thank you Jimas for the CG setting and Colin for the good luck wishes.

Maiden was yesterday with the setting as I posed, power with Neu 1112-2D, CC100 Ice, TP 3300 4S 65C and a APC 4.75x5.5 its a simple light set up for maiden; the control setting AIL +6mm/-3.5mm, ELEV +4mm/-3mm and the landing setting with +6mm spoilrons (I got the AIL only version and its hot pink) taped down trilerons.
Launching the Swist was as easy as my Jibe-2, just 1/2 THRO and up she go. In flight it required some ELEV down trim (-1mm) to hold the level flight but no AIL trim required, so I did few laps of mid speed turing and tested the spoilrons with (-0.5mm) down ELEV compensation and came in landing to reset the CG forward.
The first landing spproaching speed was slightly higher than my Jibe-2 with same +6mm spoilrons set up but it was very manageable and landed safely.
For 2nd test flight I moved the CG to 44mm to offset the down ELEV trim, but it still required 1/2 of maiden ELEV trim (-0.5mm) but at WOT its fast, straight and level no pitch up or down, only when I roll into a left/right hand vertically bank turn the tail drop slightly but the turns are still very crisp and responsive in and out of the turns, after some exciting hight speed turns and pass, I THRO off up high and put it into a vertical steep dive, it tents to nose over, all those still pointed to tail heavy to me, so I decided its time to come in landing for 43mm CG. I power off and circle around to bleed out speed came around into wind to set up a final approach and when I switched the spoilrons the unthinkable happen; the plan nose pitched up and rolled into a spin stall before I can reset the spoilrons and push the nose down to recove the stall, it hits the ground all I saw was pices of black and pink bounced up in the air. The tail boom broked off in half and the carbon wing joiner box riped off the right wing root, everything els is OK except air frame and the prop. So I guess no 43mm CG flight test for me.
I think the main caused of the crash is the result of 1) pilot error by missed judge the landing approach speed (the wind gust up to 15-20 mph during the landing approach. 2)Tail heavy at a low speed during landing approach 3) Too much reflex angle of spoilrons caused airflow separates from upper wing at the tip. Or maybe all this is just simple pilot error.
overall, I really like the Swist even I only had 2 flights (<5 min)out of it, but for sure I will call Bob SUSA Monday to arrange another one with FLAPS, hope someone will post other flight results with better CG, Incidence setting, next one I'm start with 40mm CG to be on the safe side

Happy landing everyone

Your Swist test pilot
PS: for those who not use carbon receiver, do not install your receiver pass 6cm from the back side of opening because the tail boom from that point is all carbon and have a Sat. receiver out front.

Awww crap! My condolences ... some questions if you don't mind ...

1. What was your AUW? Do you think it might have been related to wingloading?
2. Did you do a lateral balance test?
3. Are you on 2.4gHZ and if so did you have your antennae outside?
4. The first flight when you deployed spoilerons did the nose pitch up like it did on the last fateful time?
5. Were you on straight final when you deployed spoilerons or were you still coming out of your turn?
6. How high were you when she stalled?

Again, sorry for your loss...

Colin

P.S. Did you get servo covers with yours?
Old Mar 26, 2011, 10:45 PM
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2007
2,178 Posts
Rx in fuse, if wing is carbon on top then you have 100% shadowing...
la528it is offline Find More Posts by la528it
Old Mar 27, 2011, 02:22 AM
I'd rather be soaring.
Joined Mar 2011
19 Posts
Hi Colin:
1) AUW 1028g (36.262oz), wing load 21.398oz/sq ft.
2) Yes, I balanced all axes.
3) See attached picture for placement of RXs its a AR7000 the end located at 7 cm aft the real opening and a Saetllite 4cm in front of fuse opening; I ckecked again the carbon tail boom starting at 9 cm aft the real opening. Both flights were range checked with all passable flying positions.
4) No, but the head wind was 5 mph.
5) It stalled right after came out of turn; I always deployed spoilers/spoilerons when I turn from base into final with slightly nose down into the turn and no more than 30-40 deg. bank also delayed deployment including compensation and keep the nose level when come out of turn, I think it is most unlikely to tip stall during the turn if air speed kept above stall speed and the angle of banking not over 60 deg. it works every time for me even with Jibe-2, 16 lbs 4.4m Salto or a 30 lbs MDM Fox. I still think other than the unclear CG and Incidence or over reflex spoilerons maybe the big part of the error was I missed judge the wind speed (15-20 mph gust at the time) end out too slow on the final approach.
6) at the a bit higher than parking lot light level 25ft??

I do not have the servo covers, Bob told me in a week or two, I just taped it with black electrical tape, no one gonna see it

I hope I anwser all your questions, maybe you or someone can help me the root causes of carsh or it was all just me

Thanks again