HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 07, 2012, 04:21 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Sverige, Kronobergs Lšn, Ljungby
Joined Jan 2001
4,826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo Child View Post
Now any chance of getting this thread back on the Swist?
Nope
henke is offline Find More Posts by henke
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2012, 06:31 AM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,501 Posts
F3S equates to the salt flats style of timing speed verses oval lap time speeds. Two different classes, two different styles. All recorded and scored differently. A dive only facilitates the ability to obtain maximum airframe speed faster, then there's the 100 meter speed equalization before the trap. now quitchabitchin!
Back to Swist...
ApexAero is offline Find More Posts by ApexAero
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ApexAero; Nov 07, 2012 at 06:37 AM.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 07:18 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAero View Post
F. A dive only facilitates the ability to obtain maximum airframe speed faster, then there's the 100 meter speed equalization before the trap.
so a HUGE dive that is ftattened out before the pass should be acceptable as a speed measure...
sebbe is online now Find More Posts by sebbe
Old Nov 07, 2012, 09:10 AM
Joined Apr 2012
81 Posts
Quote:
Please,lets not forget I had that motor,and ran it with more Watts then you put to it.....my big problem with it was it would not do a 60sec run without melting my lipo,and it was one of the slowest setups when I got it to it's peak performance levels.So I do feel a bit qualified to speak on this matter of that setup doing a legit 235mph on a 2200mah lipo and 4.75x4.75......Hell,the Neu calc only puts that setup at a prop pitch speed of 198mph...How can anybody go faster then the prop pitch speed? If that 1115/1y goes 235,then my Outrunner goes 250 for a full 60 second run with no heat anywhere
So if it does come out correct what will you say. A Yugo that tops out at 105 redlined can go down a hill at the same rpm and probably get up to 120 or maybe 125. See where I'm going with this? Even though you are maxed out on everything you can still get more speed with gravity. Gravity will always win.
smoothflying is offline Find More Posts by smoothflying
Old Nov 07, 2012, 11:09 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,817 Posts
smoothflying , take it cool with this talk for a while, I think we are starting to tear apart the Swist thread soon , to much max speed and dive talk, hehe...

Make a video, I will doppler it for sure, then no one can say what is true speed or not, as doppler wont lie if flying right way, dive if you want... nothing wrong with that as long as it is stated..

sebbe
sebbe is online now Find More Posts by sebbe
Old Nov 07, 2012, 11:37 AM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2010
2,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothflying View Post
So if it does come out correct what will you say. A Yugo that tops out at 105 redlined can go down a hill at the same rpm and probably get up to 120 or maybe 125. See where I'm going with this? Even though you are maxed out on everything you can still get more speed with gravity. Gravity will always win.
Yup,you are right,and always are.....your vast knowledge of high performance planes just BLOWS MY MIND..........OK,so I will no longer be posting on any of the sites and threads as I am just sick of them being infected with this crap.ENJOY GUYS....IM OUT.
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Old Nov 07, 2012, 02:25 PM
I am actually really slow
Brisbane
Joined Jun 2008
969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothflying View Post
Gravity can only do so much. It's a complicated subject and it's probably going to push this thread to far off track to explain it all here. But, things to consider. You need to know the total drag coeficient of the model, it's complete cross sectional area, it's mass, the density of the air it's moving through and the relative force of gravity depending on your alititude.

From here you can figure out the models terminal free fall velocty. Using it's terminal velocity you then know how fast gravity will push the model in free fall. From this you can assume whether or not a dive will have a sizeable impact on it's top speed. However you then need to bring the propellers pitch speed into the equation. If the models terminal velocity happens to be faster then the props pitch speed then punching full throttle in a dive could very well be slowing the model down as the prop will actually have a negative efficiency (acting like a windmill, slowing the plane down)

What you ulitmately need is a prop that's going to give you a higher pitchspeed then the models terminal free fall velocity. Then you know doing a big dive is actually doing you some good. Untill someone really runs the numbers on this, we're all just guessing if a big dive is actually improving top speed.

Personally I think gravity is a B*tch

also, its 5am and I havnt slept all night. So not sure if what I just wrote is relevant or made sense.

How's everyones Swists going
SlowBarless is offline Find More Posts by SlowBarless
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Fiber up close
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:44 PM
United States, AL
Joined Apr 2007
832 Posts
You guys are all getting a bit ridiculous, lots of he said she said BS going on.

Eyello: most people do not have a place to actually race. It takes years of practice to get anywhere close to the times you are quoting, few people here could spare the time to get that good. Speed is one pinpoint aspect that is easy to measure, so people do. You're right on your "fat american" theory(I made that name up!), but everybody can't be a world class toy plane racer.

Smoothflying: your numbers are difficult to believe and you have shown no proof other than your word. Nobody else has come up with the same numbers as you. On 4s you are probably drawing what, 50-60a and around 800w? others are barely brushing 200mph with 1kw in-flight and you say you're getting 217mph with less power? Hopefully you can understand why so many have trouble believing your speeds. Get a video and you can shut the naysayers up!

So back to the swist! Anybody have pictures of the swist pro fuselage? I'd like to see how much smaller it is.
biskit is offline Find More Posts by biskit
Old Nov 07, 2012, 04:35 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,861 Posts
Quote:
Yup,you are right,and always are.....your vast knowledge of high performance planes just BLOWS MY MIND..........OK,so I will no longer be posting on any of the sites and threads as I am just sick of them being infected with this crap.ENJOY GUYS....IM OUT.

Doug,

Your resignation is not approved or accepted.

You get a week off.....Tops!!!!

Looking forward to many more posts from you.

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Old Nov 07, 2012, 04:40 PM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,377 Posts
^+1

@Gryph: Thanks for expressing what all of us (or at least me) are thinking!
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Old Nov 07, 2012, 05:05 PM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Sverige, Kronobergs Lšn, Ljungby
Joined Jan 2001
4,826 Posts
gravity only adds 1G tops :-)
henke is offline Find More Posts by henke
Old Nov 07, 2012, 05:10 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by henke View Post
gravity only adds 1G tops :-)
I heard it was more, but that was on a hobbyking product review.
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Nov 08, 2012, 02:55 AM
Joined Oct 2008
490 Posts
My theory is top speed claims should be the fastest speed you can get with your model. If diving is what it takes then so be it. I got 309kph with my Funjet with a dive and a tail wind (yeehaa).
As far as my Swist build is going - bad man. Ive never had such a frustrating build. And I even laid off the beers and its still going badly. Now my motor from Strecker is delayed. Complain complain.
War Machine is offline Find More Posts by War Machine
Old Nov 08, 2012, 08:43 AM
I am actually really slow
Brisbane
Joined Jun 2008
969 Posts
How did you end up going with the 7x10's voodoo? Did they hold together with them drilled out?

When are you gonna put lipos in the wing

Please dont leave the forums voodoo, Im sure all of us enjoy reading what you're up to. You are without a doubt one of the most experienced members on the high performance forum!
SlowBarless is offline Find More Posts by SlowBarless
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SlowBarless; Nov 08, 2012 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Doesnt want voodoo to leave ):
Old Nov 08, 2012, 10:07 AM
Canada, SK, Prince Albert
Joined Jan 2006
1,518 Posts
As of yesterday he was on the beach on vacation....he'll be back
arcticflyer is offline Find More Posts by arcticflyer