Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 06, 2012, 01:17 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,757 Posts
If a guy does a video of his plane, and has no bad intentions of cheeting in any way, just fly the way he do, and some other doppler the speed, well to me it is what it is, doppler prog dont lie, not much if the pass is clean and the curve is good, I would say 1% wrong, no more..

The never ending debat dive or not, well that is a different matter, I dont think we will agree on what is right or wrong on that one ever.. The Germans dive as much as they can, then level out and record speed, how much slower would their runs be if they where not allowed to dive at all ?
Only trying to say, I dont think ever we will agree in what way we should measure speed.

also keep in mind, some planes have advantage over other when diving, some other less, it will never be fair to eveyone..
sebbe is offline Find More Posts by sebbe
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2012, 01:48 PM
Joined Apr 2012
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbe View Post
Guys, lets keep it real, as otherwise this will be my father is stronger then yours playground soon..

The Swist with the 1w-40 motor and 4.7apc prop did have a really clean doppler at +230mph, no doubt, there was no wind to advantage the speed, BUT the speed was out of a dive.. this pass I can for sure say is real speed as both the speedgun and doppler are precise.. how fast is it without dive ? well maybee 220? 225? who knows..

Smoothflying, remember, when you did a measure with speedgun with 4s, if I remember right, the speedgun showed much more then my doppler, Right ?

It would be fair to let me analyze and doppler that video of when you are flying 5s..

also keep in mind, the Swist 5s typhoon motor is a 3300kv, thats pretty hot on 5s..

Doug, YEAH, its a battlefield, and playground also for big kids
Fair enough. So how do I get a good video for you? Can I use my cell phone or a digital camera running on video?
smoothflying is offline Find More Posts by smoothflying
Old Nov 06, 2012, 02:14 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothflying View Post
Fair enough. So how do I get a good video for you? Can I use my cell phone or a digital camera running on video?
absolutely, use what ever you have to video your passes, I only want the sound anyway, but its godd to see some video, this way I can tell if cheeting like making turn or go up after the pass.. But Im sure no one wants to cheet, level passes before and after for 2 seconds, dive as much as you want before, no matter. And keep the cellphone as close to the line of passes as possible, maybee better tape it to a stick and put it in ground and leave it there, so no one gets hurt.... and dont talk before and after the pass for at least 2 seconds, as this can make the curve on doppler be unclear..

Go for it..

OH, when you have done the video, put it on the Viper thread, this is a Swist thread
Old Nov 06, 2012, 02:16 PM
Deutschland, RP, Niederzissen
Joined Dec 2011
849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbe View Post
The Germans dive as much as they can, then level out and record speed, how much slower would their runs be if they where not allowed to dive at all ?
The germans do have a regulation ,speed is measured at a distance of 200m which has to be flown in both directions, if you want to change FAI rules just offer the FAI your dopplers!

Yello
Mreyello is offline Find More Posts by Mreyello
Old Nov 06, 2012, 02:20 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mreyello View Post
The germans do have a regulation ,speed is measured at a distance of 200m which has to be flown in both directions, if you want to change FAI rules just offer the FAI your dopplers!

Yello
I know they measure speed over 200 meters, which is accurate for sure, but I just wunder how much less the speeds would be if no diving...

I think some planes have extra help from height, energy/weight/penitration

and I also dont think doppler would be so much differnt to speeds their equipment is getting, as they travel 100m/s at least, so doppler woul be 1 second before and 1 second after = perfekt
Old Nov 06, 2012, 02:35 PM
United States, AL
Joined Apr 2007
822 Posts
You need to keep in mind that most people here are not racing and don't care about the turning performance of their planes. Speed is easy to measure and what everybody sees so it is the most important to "sport" fliers.

Quote:
The 52 sec run i mentioned in post 1549 was scored with 5S 1550mah.
biskit is offline Find More Posts by biskit
Old Nov 06, 2012, 03:10 PM
Joined Dec 2011
849 Posts
Biskit,
It is obvious that you did not understand what i tried to explane.

The 52 sek 200mph average run was the average of aceleration lap, 10 passes downwind and 10 passes upwind ,defintely no dive or backwind advantage, just the pure speed over almost 1 minute.
If you would radar or doppler it at the fastest spot like usual here you would get some pretty high numbers although power is much less than what i have seen here.
I would have expected some to ask the question: what is different

If you are not interested in cornerspeed you may be not interested in topspeed or are you really able to go straight the whole flight?

If you all are sure that there is no improvement option than just adding amps and watts you should stick with what you know.:
Quote:
watch big wide fuses as an advantage,or 1100g F5d as light or watch servocover-kennels and batlleship linkages as sexy and big ugly air intake ducts(in low presure areas) as effective
Yello
Old Nov 06, 2012, 03:28 PM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,255 Posts
Quote:
Biskit,
It is obvious that you did not understand what i tried to explane.

The 52 sek 200mph average run was the average of aceleration lap, 10 passes downwind and 10 passes upwind ,defintely no dive or backwind advantage, just the pure speed over almost 1 minute.
If you would radar or doppler it at the fastest spot like usual here you would get some pretty high numbers although power is much less than what i have seen here.
I would have expected some to ask the question: what is different

If you are not interested in cornerspeed you may be not interested in topspeed or are you really able to go straight the whole flight?

If you all are sure that there is no improvement option than just adding amps and watts you should stick with what you know.:

Yello
Subtracting weight and adding pilot skills.... Now that's not fair!
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Old Nov 06, 2012, 03:35 PM
Joined Dec 2011
849 Posts
substracting weight is the opposit of what people usually do here, so it may need willpower, passing a doppler mike or a radar gun does not really need pilot skills!

Yello
Old Nov 06, 2012, 03:38 PM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,255 Posts
Tight turns around pylons do...
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Old Nov 06, 2012, 03:43 PM
Joined Dec 2011
849 Posts
I agree

But nobody here is interested doing this
Discussions about mph numbers seem to be more interesting
Yello
Last edited by Mreyello; Nov 06, 2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 04:21 PM
Hemet California
Joined Jul 2009
727 Posts
I agree, more guys should try what these F5D planes are designed for, 3 or 4 of your closest friends flying around yourself within feet of each other at 200... better than a tread mill to get the heart rate up!

DE
D.English is offline Find More Posts by D.English
Old Nov 06, 2012, 09:36 PM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2010
2,795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothflying View Post
I would like to know exactly why you dont think these planes are able to reach these speeds with the 1115/1Y.
Please,lets not forget I had that motor,and ran it with more Watts then you put to it.....my big problem with it was it would not do a 60sec run without melting my lipo,and it was one of the slowest setups when I got it to it's peak performance levels.So I do feel a bit qualified to speak on this matter of that setup doing a legit 235mph on a 2200mah lipo and 4.75x4.75......Hell,the Neu calc only puts that setup at a prop pitch speed of 198mph...How can anybody go faster then the prop pitch speed? If that 1115/1y goes 235,then my Outrunner goes 250 for a full 60 second run with no heat anywhere
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Old Nov 06, 2012, 09:39 PM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2010
2,795 Posts
Now any chance of getting this thread back on the Swist?
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:18 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Sverige, Kronobergs Lšn, Ljungby
Joined Jan 2001
4,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetdryvr View Post
Henke,
Are your blades on the engine slightly scratched or damaged?
Erik
Yeah, FOD damage. This one got like 35hours running time, all with high speed. I do disassemble it and clean out guts every now and then.
henke is offline Find More Posts by henke