Jwmflying14 is offline Find More Posts by Jwmflying14
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2012, 11:15 PM
Canada, SK, Prince Albert
Joined Jan 2006
1,443 Posts
Holy Cow!

Man I am really glad that you didn't loose your plane...been there...done that
Sounds like flutter at super dooper speed to me The fact you got it down with what looks like a busted linkage is nothing short of a miracle
Good job of flyin I must say

Reminds me of the day my Neu came out the front of the plane at about 200 Didn't know what to watch the motor/spinner/prop coming at me or the plane falling like a leaf!
arcticflyer is online now Find More Posts by arcticflyer
Old Nov 02, 2012, 11:27 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2010
4,043 Posts
VooDoo, keeping in mind I have no experience at those speeds, take this advice as you will.

Coming from the DLG world I would blame the type of tape you are using on the trileron. I bet the trileron tape ripped, causing the trileron to flutter. The vibration resonating through the wing caused the aileron to flutter. Now your digital servo is trying to fight this out of control aileron which then broke the servo arm.

We experience a TON of flutter on our launches. I am sure you have seen them. Now these launches are high G (upwards of 80g's I have been told) and high speeds (relative for a sail plane). Our wings are MUCH thinner and weaker than your swist wing, so the fluttering is probably pretty darn proportional. On our trilerons we use blenerm tape as it has just enough flex, yet is still strong enough to keep it from fluttering. In the case of 200mph I would say a stronger tape, yet still slightly stretchable/flexable such as a single layer of electrical tape.

What do you think?
Jwmflying14 is offline Find More Posts by Jwmflying14
Old Nov 03, 2012, 01:50 AM
Cyprus
Joined Mar 2012
174 Posts
Swist

Hi...VC not entirely shore whats going on in your photo. A friend of mine has a swist and he was told by the manufacturer that the little trillions under 200mph can be used with the ailerons but over 200 mph they need to be fix to the wing.
savneo is offline Find More Posts by savneo
Old Nov 03, 2012, 03:14 AM
I am actually really slow
Brisbane
Joined Jun 2008
961 Posts
Blenderm tape is not the right tape to tape trilerons with atleast on F5D models. It's hinge tape and it's to flexible. Scotch tape is what you need to be using. The same stuff the F3D guys use to stick belly pans on etc.
SlowBarless is offline Find More Posts by SlowBarless
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Fiber up close
Old Nov 03, 2012, 03:38 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,793 Posts
VooDoo, man Im so glad you didnt lost the plane, geeeh that was close.... it isnt the first time those weaker servo arms of the D-60 servos break there.. if it was the trileon that caused the reflex to aileron, or ot was a normal aileron flutter I dont know...

I wunder what henke has done in his Swist, as it withstand +300mph... he also have flaps. Maybee the weak point is the D-60 servos ?

Will doppler wthat video later...

DONT do those runs again Doug, its scary

Sebbe
sebbe is online now Find More Posts by sebbe
Old Nov 03, 2012, 10:33 AM
Canada, SK, Prince Albert
Joined Jan 2006
1,443 Posts
That must have shook poor VooDoo up so bad he's sleeping in today
arcticflyer is online now Find More Posts by arcticflyer
Old Nov 03, 2012, 11:58 AM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2010
2,832 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticflyer View Post
That must have shook poor VooDoo up so bad he's sleeping in today
Nope,just came home from flying Plus i was playing with another new speed toy i picked up a few weeks ago that has no wings and does it's best work on water
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Old Nov 03, 2012, 12:04 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,832 Posts
As far as the failure,just look at the fact that the servo is hanging that was epoxied to the wing,and the servo cover that was epoxied to the wing is gone .......The Tri-lerons were held on with some real good 3M vinyl that is flexable,but much stronger then there Scotch tape line (i work for 3M,so i can get some cool stuff ).....as of now,the D60 functions just fine and is back in the wing with a new arm.The Tri-lerons are now epoxied to the wing and no longer function.....This was just part of the learning curve to pushing speeds and airframes
Old Nov 03, 2012, 12:09 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,832 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbe View Post
VooDoo, man Im so glad you didnt lost the plane, geeeh that was close.... it isnt the first time those weaker servo arms of the D-60 servos break there.. if it was the trileon that caused the reflex to aileron, or ot was a normal aileron flutter I dont know...

I wunder what henke has done in his Swist, as it withstand +300mph... he also have flaps. Maybee the weak point is the D-60 servos ?

Will doppler wthat video later...

DONT do those runs again Doug, its scary

Sebbe
If you ask me,i dig those D60's,they were by no means the problem.This plane has ALOT of flights with ALOT of power systems,and the D60 has been a champ EVERY flight,and still perfect after this incedent.As for the doppler,the only pass you can get is the first one,and that is after launch and flat and level,no dive at all.......But when things went wrong after that first dive,it was HAULING BUTT faster then i have ever seen it ....I spent an hour this morning walking around looking for that servo cover,and could not find it anywere...even had 3 people helping .....and yes,i will be doing way more F3S runs,THAT STUFF IS HAIR RAISING
Old Nov 03, 2012, 02:36 PM
2012 NZ Speedcup - 231 MPH
New Zealand, Tasman, Richmond
Joined Mar 2006
1,979 Posts
Voodoo, that was fast! I tried to do a quick doppler on my phone but got nothing. If noone else does it soon I'll do a proper one later on today. I'd hazard a guess you're pushing into 230 + territory? Epic!!!!
DownUnderPilot is online now Find More Posts by DownUnderPilot
Old Nov 03, 2012, 05:29 PM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Sverige, Kronobergs Lšn, Ljungby
Joined Jan 2001
4,784 Posts
My plane is no magic. It's the show version with 3x carbon and the ds09 servos, setup for 3mm thorows. It can handle a full power dive and do 300++mph.

I'm thinking of setting up a guinness record for maximun G load of any flying thingy :-)
henke is offline Find More Posts by henke
Old Nov 04, 2012, 01:17 AM
2012 NZ Speedcup - 231 MPH
New Zealand, Tasman, Richmond
Joined Mar 2006
1,979 Posts
Very difficult Dopler, but I get ~236 +- 9MPH.

Very, very fast Voodoo!!!! Especially for 100% off the shelf gear.
DownUnderPilot is online now Find More Posts by DownUnderPilot
Old Nov 04, 2012, 01:32 AM
Joined Aug 2010
2,832 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUnderPilot View Post
Very difficult Dopler, but I get ~236 +- 9MPH.

Very, very fast Voodoo!!!! Especially for 100% off the shelf gear.
and only 14 seconds into the run with NO dive at all.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 02:41 AM
Joined Oct 2008
490 Posts
I am hating this build. The tail was a nightmare. It's done but only after alot of swearing and crying. I wish they had moulded the fin as part of the fuse with a slot for the stab. It would have made it (nearly) idiot proof.
On top of it I bought a 7115th for the elevator thinking it would fit. Hopefully the rest of the build will go better.
War Machine is offline Find More Posts by War Machine