HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 31, 2010, 05:38 PM
GSMB Member
United States, NJ, Howell
Joined Mar 2008
1,802 Posts
Mini-HowTo
DIY - Diamond plate decking

Here is another article that I finally completed. How to make a diamond plate deck. Rich (frankg) has been telling me for a while that I have to post this, so here it is. I hope Rich chimes in with comments. To make the deck all you need is window screen and I used fiberglass resin since that is what I am familiar with and it was cheap to use for this type of project.

Some of my other articles...

Vacuum forming
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1306908

MINI Spy Camera Key Chain Camcorder
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1202545

DIY How to etch a PCB
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1360740
ken_nj is online now Find More Posts by ken_nj
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2010, 06:51 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,261 Posts
Very cool!

If you're lucky, you can save some time using one of Plastruct's diamond plate sheets:
http://www.plastruct.com/Pages/Onlin...o?CCode=PS-154

I used it for the giant diamond plate pattern on my 1:144 Yamato:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=1204932
(but that wouldn't really be scratch, would it? )

patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Dec 31, 2010, 06:53 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,795 Posts
Looks awesome Ken! Keep up the good work and articles!
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Dec 31, 2010, 06:53 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,261 Posts
I wonder- could you vac-form styrene over screening to get the same pattern???
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Dec 31, 2010, 07:00 PM
GSMB Member
Joined Mar 2008
1,802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmat2350 View Post
If you're lucky, you can save some time using one of Plastruct's diamond plate sheets:
Save time maybe, but it will cost more depending on the area. A 7x12 sq inch section is 6.15. If you do a large boat like mine at 4.5 feet Pastruct will cost more.

This is only an option.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 07:02 PM
GSMB Member
Joined Mar 2008
1,802 Posts
I also tried vacuum form on the screen. Here are the results. I don't think it looks as good as the other options. I think this is .15 styrene, maybe a thinner sheet will yield better results.
Old Jan 01, 2011, 11:57 AM
United States, PA, Slatington
Joined Feb 2007
399 Posts
You can also achieve similar results with 6oz cloth and resin. Apply a heavy coat of resin on the surface then lay the cloth on top of the resin and squeegee out the resin firmly. This saturates the cloth but leave the weave showing.
JOHN SCALE BOAT is offline Find More Posts by JOHN SCALE BOAT
Old Jan 01, 2011, 12:26 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,677 Posts
I think both Ken and John have hit upon the easiest way to produce the diamond plate decking . I have use the screen method for years with different applications with great success. People don’t realize that screen can be bought in different sizes and materials.

Screening can be bought in aluminum and fiberglass in either very fine or more open weave. I have used it tacked glued down with CA glue and then given it a thin coat of resin, either polyurethane or epoxy, then blotted off with paper towels for the diamond plate effect. I have used in on the stair thread of my 44’ C.G. Lifeboat, as well as on the stair tread of the crew boat, American Enterprise. You can also get different diamond shape effects with the aluminum screen by pulling the screen on a diagonal for a longer diamond effect. The fiberglass can not be pulled out of shape since the material is actually more or less welded in on the weave. This is a good thing to have when doing large areas such as what Ken is doing on his party boat, MISS BELMAR.

By the way guys and gals, wait until you see this huge, completely scratch built boat that Ken is building. I have tried to talk him into posting the build of the boat, for which he build the mold to produce the fiber glass hull, for quite sometime now, but alias, he only does the sub builds, which are great, but MY GOD, WAIT UNTIL YOU SEE THE BOAT COMPLETE!!!!!

By the way we are both members of the “GARDEN STATE MODEL BOATERS”, just a little plug for the father land.
frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg