HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:11 AM
France, PACA, Aix-en-Provence
Joined Dec 2007
185 Posts
Good points as well.

I have tinkered with it some more. It seems to be heat related. It is fine at initial startup. When it warms up a bit after about 30 seconds of fast movement (slightly warm to the touch) the troubles begin.

Speed of motion makes no difference.

It is caused by resistance, and particular resistance whilst receiving a control input. It does not seem to matter whether it is slight presssure with the fingers or stronger pressure. Having my center panel lying upside down and the weight of the flap pushing back was enough. I have no binding of any of the linkages, I was pretty obsessive about that, considering these are very finely tuned servo's.

I guess I was unlucky, but getting a bit uneasy with them on my elevator as well.

But they are sooo precise, I have never seen anything like it...
Dan Zero-G is online now Find More Posts by Dan Zero-G
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2013, 01:01 PM
Joined Jan 2009
86 Posts
@mks

Pleeaaassse make an hv version of the 6125 servos!!

I guess there are a lot of people out there waiting for these...

thank you!!
jibber is offline Find More Posts by jibber
Old Apr 01, 2013, 05:07 PM
Bristol, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Apr 2004
43 Posts
High Voltage MKS 6125

Hi All

Is there any more news on a high voltage version of the MKS 6125?

I'm aware that a number of MKS resellers and distributors contribute to this forum. Any information you guys can provide would be really appreciated.

Can anyone confirm that MKS are still working on a high voltage version of this servo?

Thanks in advance

Keith
groom_k is offline Find More Posts by groom_k
Old Apr 02, 2013, 10:23 AM
Martorell-Catalunya (Spain)
Joined Feb 2007
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by groom_k View Post
Hi All
Is there any more news on a high voltage version of the MKS 6125?
I'm aware that a number of MKS resellers and distributors contribute to this forum. Any information you guys can provide would be really appreciated.
Can anyone confirm that MKS are still working on a high voltage version of this servo?
Thanks in advance
Keith
seen on MKS web:

Important Safety Notice for Working Voltage
2013/3/28
Important Safety Notice for Working Voltage:
Dear Customers and pilots,
To avoid the problem for voltage use and acknowledge, please notice there is a limited range of voltage use when purchasing the following MKS servos :
Wing series:DS6125 / DS6125MINI / DS6125H / DS6188
Micro series:DS92
RTR/RTF series:DS1210 / DS1009
For above lists servos,
1. Operation Voltage must be on:4.8~5.5V
2. Only use 4S NiCd / NiMH battery
3. Do Not use Lipo battery
4. Do Not use when use BEC and output 6.0V
5. The spec (Torque / Speed) at 6V will not be offered anymore.
We will revise to correct data as soon as possible for above servos in website or packaging. To ensure your use safety, please must follow this direct of voltage to use.
Thank you a lot!
MKS team

For now the only way to use this servos with Lixx batteries is with the SBEC
http://www.mks-servo.com.tw/goods.php?goods_id=sbec1.5a
http://www.mks-servo.com.tw/goods.php?goods_id=sbec2a
carlesf3b is offline Find More Posts by carlesf3b
Old Apr 02, 2013, 10:58 AM
HyperFlight Support
United Kingdom, England, Stratford-upon-Avon
Joined Feb 2001
3,838 Posts
Thanks for pointing this out.

It is funny how their DS6125 product pages say "please use 4S Nicd/NiMH or use UBEC @ 4.8V~5.5V" when the MKS BEC is a linear device, not a UBEC. :-)

Neil.
Neil Stainton is online now Find More Posts by Neil Stainton
Old Apr 02, 2013, 11:06 AM
near Sacramento, CA
Joined Aug 2010
692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlesf3b View Post
seen on MKS web:
Important Safety Notice for Working Voltage
2013/3/28
...Wing series:DS6125 / DS6125MINI / DS6125H / DS6188
Micro series:DS92
1. Operation Voltage must be on:4.8~5.5V

For now the only way to use this servos with Lixx batteries is with the SBEC
It's nice to finally get confirmation as to why both my 6125-H servos failed (at different times) last year when running a 6.0v regulator + LiFe pack. And no you do not have to use an SBEC on each servo. You can just as well use a high quality linear regulator like the Voltron 5.4v (regulator test data) with LiFe or LiPo packs. Been using that regulator in both my Xplorers. Highly recommended.

Chris B.
SoaringDude is offline Find More Posts by SoaringDude
Old Jun 04, 2013, 08:47 PM
Joined Nov 2004
14 Posts
unsafe MKS DS6125 servos, severe chatter issue

I just wanted to add this to what appears to be a growing number of complaints about substantial issues with MKS servos. I ordered four MKS DS6125 through the MKS website a while back and put these very recently into a (fairly expensive) glider. Of course I made sure that all control surfaces move freely (it is not the first glider or RC model that I built). Also, I followed the (surprising and disappointing) revision of the servo specification by the manufacturer that warns about exceeding the control voltage to > 5 V. With the glider being fully assembled I started programming the transmitter (Futaba tx and rx, though this should not matter) and to my utmost dismay I saw the servos chattering heavily (~0.5 inch amplitude) while going through the control inputs, which renders these servos unreliable and dangerous for operation.
I have contacted the manufacturer (through their US website) but so far have not received any response (and with all of the above I am actually not even surprised). I am already looking forward to the dreadful work of removing the wood frames from the wings to switch to Airtronics 94761Z and JR DS378. I never had any complaints with those servos so far. Never again MKS servos for me: I hope that these messages are helpful to prevent other people from repeating my way too expensive and painful mistake by discouraging them from installing these substandard products in their expensive airframes. MKS servos may have all the good looks, colorful aluminum housing, metal gears, the promise of torque and speed. Their control electronics, however, is just cheap junk as it reveals a behavior that was an issue in servos about 30 years ago that should have been expected to be solved by now. Any additional comments about MKS servos can only be expressed using this emoticon and then a lot of those in a multiple of four
ulpe is offline Find More Posts by ulpe
Old Jun 05, 2013, 12:16 AM
Don't grow up, it's a TRAP !!!
Australia, QLD, Elimbah
Joined Jan 2005
1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulpe View Post
Their control electronics, however, is just cheap junk as it reveals a behavior that was an issue in servos about 30 years ago that should have been expected to be solved by now.
I don't wish to disbelieve you but a video of the issue would be more convincing. There's plenty of Brand opposition out there that would post something like this just to discredit the MKS brand. Should this have happened, then I feel your pain.
But just reading about it on a forum doesn't carry a lot of weight.
Seeing is believing

I've had no issue with MKS servos for which I have over a dozen of them.

David
Larrikin is offline Find More Posts by Larrikin
Old Jun 05, 2013, 12:50 AM
United States, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Sep 2012
384 Posts
I am also having a problem with my MKS 6125M servos, although I believe it may be the wrong servo for the job. Noticed today that the flaps were not deploying fully on my Pike Precision. Happened several times during a "fly through" and then on landing. Plane felt unusual and I could see it a few times. Inspection on the ground showed the flaps deploying fully, but under a load (finger), they were very mushy and it was very easy to keep them from fully deploying.

Here is the setup:
Pike Precision, 6125mini, samba instal (sealed), LiFe w/SBEC 2.0 individual regs.
Full ballast (brass + tungsten)
Flight today was with full ballast (brass + tungsten) and lots of lift.
The Pike is at least a year old.

My other Pike has 6125 full size for flaps and has no problems.

My guess is that this servo is just too small for the flaps and my flying.

Any thoughts?
BDK74 is offline Find More Posts by BDK74
Old Jun 05, 2013, 02:14 AM
Team USA F3F Member
USA, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Feb 2011
849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulpe View Post
I just wanted to add this to what appears to be a growing number of complaints about substantial issues with MKS servos. I ordered four MKS DS6125 through the MKS website a while back and put these very recently into a (fairly expensive) glider. Of course I made sure that all control surfaces move freely (it is not the first glider or RC model that I built). Also, I followed the (surprising and disappointing) revision of the servo specification by the manufacturer that warns about exceeding the control voltage to > 5 V. With the glider being fully assembled I started programming the transmitter (Futaba tx and rx, though this should not matter) and to my utmost dismay I saw the servos chattering heavily (~0.5 inch amplitude) while going through the control inputs, which renders these servos unreliable and dangerous for operation.
I have contacted the manufacturer (through their US website) but so far have not received any response (and with all of the above I am actually not even surprised). I am already looking forward to the dreadful work of removing the wood frames from the wings to switch to Airtronics 94761Z and JR DS378. I never had any complaints with those servos so far. Never again MKS servos for me: I hope that these messages are helpful to prevent other people from repeating my way too expensive and painful mistake by discouraging them from installing these substandard products in their expensive airframes. MKS servos may have all the good looks, colorful aluminum housing, metal gears, the promise of torque and speed. Their control electronics, however, is just cheap junk as it reveals a behavior that was an issue in servos about 30 years ago that should have been expected to be solved by now. Any additional comments about MKS servos can only be expressed using this emoticon and then a lot of those in a multiple of four
Ulpe,

Since I've been building 3m high performance gliders, I have been using the 6125 series for my wings. The only time I have seen any chattering was when my linkage had slop in it. The servos are so tight, that the slightest movement in any direction causes the servo to try and bring it back, and if there is just the right amount of slop in the linkage, it will reach a kind of harmonic where it will bounce back and forth. If the linkage is tight, then it won't do that, and I bet that at certain deflections in your setup it won't do that either. If you are getting as much as 0.5 inches of travel with it doing this, then something is definitely not right.

I've followed the recommendations with using only 4 cells and not going above the 6V, and have simply not had any problems whatsoever. And I have them in 5 3M high performance F3F/F3B planes right now that I fly often in practice with the US F3F and F3B teams, and I know a lot of other top pilots that use them and don't have the issues that you are having, and I'm not getting paid to say that.

The other servos may not behave that way based on the differences in the angular precision, and the different travel distances for each degree of resolution from the radio. Just because they don't vibrate, doesn't make them better.

I'm not saying that your build is not a good one, but these things are so precise that its amazing how little slop in the linkages can cause what you are seeing. I've had it before in one of my standard linkage planes, and I was able to make it go away by replacing the linkages, and making sure there was NO slop in the connections. It doesn't seem to happen as easily in the RDS linkage systems.

In any case, I can understand why you might be upset that they are doing that, but it may have been better to ask in this forum or others about the issues and what can be done about them instead of just calling them junk with a bunch of censored frownie faces. There are many extremely experienced pilots that could offer advice about such things.

Tim
ttraver is offline Find More Posts by ttraver
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 05, 2013, 02:19 AM
Team USA F3F Member
USA, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Feb 2011
849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDK74 View Post
I am also having a problem with my MKS 6125M servos, although I believe it may be the wrong servo for the job. Noticed today that the flaps were not deploying fully on my Pike Precision. Happened several times during a "fly through" and then on landing. Plane felt unusual and I could see it a few times. Inspection on the ground showed the flaps deploying fully, but under a load (finger), they were very mushy and it was very easy to keep them from fully deploying.

Here is the setup:
Pike Precision, 6125mini, samba instal (sealed), LiFe w/SBEC 2.0 individual regs.

Any thoughts?
I have the same thing on my first precision. For some reason, Samba decided to put the 6125 mini's in the flaps, when I believe they should have put in the regular 6125's. In high loads, when you yank on the flaps, the torque isn't there, and I don't think its all the servos fault.

Its most likely the combination of the geometry of the RDS that samba installed with the 6125 mini.

Plus, if you don't yank them to deploy them, but deploy them slowly, then you're most likely able to get them down. Once down, there is enough force to keep them there...but its that initial torque to overcome those loads that we put on them in high ballast situations like Fermin...

Tim
ttraver is offline Find More Posts by ttraver
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 05, 2013, 03:18 AM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Aug 2007
251 Posts
My airtronics servos jitter when I get the 2.4GHz transmitter aerial too close to them.....

Could that have been the problem
areid is offline Find More Posts by areid
Old Jun 05, 2013, 04:07 AM
San Diego
Joined Aug 2004
1,996 Posts
I recommend using the full size 6125's for the flaps in RDS equipped F3B/F3F models. Like Tim, said, at slow speeds or deploying slowly, the minis will work. At medium speeds or fully ballasted, the regular 6125's are a better choice.

FWIW
Tom
Kiesling is online now Find More Posts by Kiesling
Old Jun 05, 2013, 07:12 AM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDK74 View Post

Here is the setup:

Any thoughts?
Do you think the mush could be a problem with RDS? It can be very mushy once things start to wear a bit (or even when new).

A stalled servo should not be mushy as such. Yes it might not have enough power to push the surface but it won't be mushy, it will be hard.
satinet is offline Find More Posts by satinet
Old Jun 05, 2013, 07:13 AM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by areid View Post
My airtronics servos jitter when I get the 2.4GHz transmitter aerial too close to them.....

Could that have been the problem
unfortunately they also jitter when near 2 way telemetry receivers. E.g in a vtail model.
satinet is offline Find More Posts by satinet