HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 14, 2011, 08:13 AM
United States, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Aug 2006
1,563 Posts
Here is the company website:

http://www.mks-servo.com.tw/index.php

A new competitor in the servo market is a good thing. It means Futaba, JR and Airtronics will need to step up their games too if they want to stay competitive!
Avaldes is offline Find More Posts by Avaldes
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2011, 09:16 AM
I just wanna fly
USA, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Jul 2005
597 Posts
This brings up another question since these are new servos to the market.
What is the warranty period? And of course, who handles the warranty?

Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitzerj View Post
Bob - How are you going to handle service/repairs for these servos? With Airtronics and Hitec I can send them back to them directly for repair. JR goes to Horizon. What will the process be with MKS?

Thanks!
slozuke is offline Find More Posts by slozuke
Old Jan 14, 2011, 09:19 AM
United States, AL, Madison
Joined May 2002
2,272 Posts
Are these MKS's the new gotta-have-it, red, 4-meters of servos? They are red.

and yes, competition is a good thing for us. Nice!
nuevo is offline Find More Posts by nuevo
Old Jan 14, 2011, 10:46 AM
Watervliet, Mich.
Joined Sep 2003
1,439 Posts
i like to know what we do about repairs also.

dave
dhauch is offline Find More Posts by dhauch
Old Jan 14, 2011, 11:26 AM
Fly, Fish or F#@%
Houston
Joined Dec 2006
478 Posts
For all of you that are planning to use these servos in your new Fosa or another Ship that comes with this set-up.
Here is a basic guide in fitting the MKS DS6125 in the JR378 RDS coupler.
Bob sells MKS RDS adapters http://www.soaringusa.com/products/p...ategory_id=396 you will need a pack.
One pack for 4 servos.
First you need to use your Dremel and a cut off wheel to cut the MKS adapters down in size.
To do this place the adapter, spine down in the supplied coupler (see in pic 3)
Then take the cut down spine adapter and scratch/roughen it up.
Glue the spine adapter into the supplied coupler with JB weld.
Once the glue is set, also glue the yoke with JB weld.
When fitting the servo it will take a bit of force as itís a fairly tight fit.
gliding Oz is offline Find More Posts by gliding Oz
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 15, 2011, 12:11 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2004
259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnnwizard View Post
Target dropped off an MKS DS6125 and a DS6125 mini for me to take a look at. I just finished playing with the DS6125mini.
Initial numbers:
Total throw available is 110 degrees over 1394us, between 776us and 2170us. That means center is actually 1473us if one wants equal 55 degrees of throw each way.

Doing the easy math, 110 degrees/1394us, equals .0789 degrees per 1us, or another way to say, it takes 12.67us to move the servo 1 degree.
Deadband as listed is .001sec (1us), but I’ll be the first to confirm it is actually less than 1us.

Why do I say this? On my Futaba tx’s (14mz and 8fg), the subtrim is a measurable .625us per step and the servo will respond with each .625us step. It takes 20-21 subtrim steps to move the servo 1 degree.

This gives a minimum of 2230 steps the servo can see just based on the .625us per step. Of course, it’s most likely going to be higher than 2230, but I don’t have anything that can output less than .625us that’s measurable to test with.

Current consumption on 6.6v is:
Idle = 2mA
First sustainable buzzing = 64mA
Note: the servo itself does not buzz unless there is force on the arm.
Peak current, moving servo gently back and forth = 446mA
Peak current, springing of TX stick = 1250mA
Peak current, stall = 1430mA

Speed is consistent, unloaded to 60 degrees at 6.6v, avg is .089seconds with low being .086 and high .093.

I am impress with the servo’s resolution and precision. Though 110 degrees of total throw is what the servo is capable of, the max amount in reality is about 101 degrees depending on TX and RX combo. The reason for this is that most, if not all, tx and rx combo are not capable of transmitting/receiving less than 880us or more than 2160us (1280us total) at absolute max throws.

So incidentally, the higher the resolution a servo is the less total throw it would have given the finite TX,RX signal. The gear lash on this servo is zero. That’s right zero. Meaning no play anywhere. That contributes to it’s precision. That’s hard to believe given the metal gears. The only thing left and time will tell, is how well the gears hold up.

After 500 complete cycles back and forth at 80 degrees total on 6.6v Life, the servos are not even warm.

That’s it for now, will do some torque measurements as soon as I get my good scale back.

So Bob, how many of the DS6125 mini's and 6125H's you have in stock ? I was going to pick up some at the AMA convention after talking with Thomas, but both me and Sophia started feeling sick while I was there so we had to leave early.)
Thanks for the report. I picked up a pair of these servos at the AMA Show on a whim and am very happy I did. I confirmed your values of about .08 deg per microsec and deadband less than .001.

My Futaba 14MZ has a range of 1200 microseconds (900 to 2100) and is a 2048 so its resolution is 1200/2048=.5859 microseconds. I set up my trim to give me .6 microseconds per click (steps=1, rate=24%) and I get about .048 degrees per click of trim (.6*.08 ). And the servo moves on every click. You can't be much more precise than that. That corresponds to .024 degrees of elevator travel on my pattern plane. I'm not sure the plane can respond to a .024 degree change in trim. How do you guys set your trim sensitivity? My theory is to have it as fine as possible but something must move on every click.

The servo is a real work of art. Can't wait to fly them.

Jim O
JOddino is offline Find More Posts by JOddino
Last edited by JOddino; Jan 15, 2011 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Clarify
Old Jan 15, 2011, 01:44 AM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,339 Posts
Not sure if you fellows know who Mr. Oddino is, but if he is impressed, then that is impressive!!

Here's one hint:

http://www.rchalloffame.org/Exhibits...t22/index.html
Silent-AV8R is offline Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
Old Jan 15, 2011, 07:57 AM
LSF V,LSF Secretary,AMA Lifer
Huntsville
Joined Oct 2003
2,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOddino View Post
How do you guys set your trim sensitivity? My theory is to have it as fine as possible but something must move on every click.

Jim O
Jim -

I set my elevator trim authority so that a couple clicks makes a noticeable difference in the air. Rudder I generally don't worry about to much, I want neutral to be perfect but once that happens I'm OK.

Flaps and ailerons get set as tightly as I can manage. I set the wing trailing edges using jigs or calipers for different flight modes on the ground. I want things to match up perfectly and repeatedly in all flight modes. Wing trailing edge setting are crucial for efficiency on a sailplane.
Robglover is offline Find More Posts by Robglover
Old Jan 15, 2011, 11:38 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gliding Oz View Post
For all of you that are planning to use these servos in your new Fosa or another Ship that comes with this set-up.
Here is a basic guide in fitting the MKS DS6125 in the JR378 RDS coupler.
Bob sells MKS RDS adapters http://www.soaringusa.com/products/p...ategory_id=396 you will need a pack.
One pack for 4 servos.
Thomas, you have just made my day....
I don't know why on earth I didn't figure that out; so simple!

I think you know what I intend to do now.

Thanks, buddy.

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Jan 15, 2011, 11:44 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,664 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the report. I picked up a pair of these servos at the AMA Show on a whim and am very happy I did. I confirmed your values of about .08 deg per microsec and deadband less than .001.

My Futaba 14MZ has a range of 1200 microseconds (900 to 2100) and is a 2048 so its resolution is 1200/2048=.5859 microseconds. I set up my trim to give me .6 microseconds per click (steps=1, rate=24%) and I get about .048 degrees per click of trim (.6*.08 ). And the servo moves on every click. You can't be much more precise than that. That corresponds to .024 degrees of elevator travel on my pattern plane. I'm not sure the plane can respond to a .024 degree change in trim. How do you guys set your trim sensitivity? My theory is to have it as fine as possible but something must move on every click.

Jim O
Hi, Jim-

My strategy is the same as Rob's above-

I fly with an MPX EVO for now, and it has 4 trim step settings.
On a maiden flight, or even a re-maiden after installing these servos in place of the originals, I would use the 3rd most course settings on the ailerons and elevator.
Once the plane is flown a while and trimmed to straight and level, if there are to be no other mods (tip weight, etc), then I will re-arrange the linkages and re center my trims, then switch to the finest trim settings.

It's probably better to have a coarser setting initially, to avoid having a situation where you might actually run out of trim adjustment while flying.
That would bother me a lot more than possibly having a problem where one click of trim either way is off the perfect center.

Regards,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Jan 15, 2011, 02:03 PM
Joined Oct 2004
259 Posts
Hi Target,

I agree we want plenty of trim authority on a new plane. With the 14MZ you can independently set the number of steps and the total travel. With the steps set to 1 you get plus and minus 205 steps. 205 times .6 μsec per step times .08 deg per μsec equals plus and minus 9.8 degrees of servo travel which is more than enough. However, it might take longer than you'd like to get to the value you want so it might be a good strategy to set the number of steps to something like ten. Then you would be to 9.8 degrees of servo in 20 clicks. Then reset the steps after you've got it trimmed.

Bill- i'm glad you didn't ask the guys if they new who Mr. Oddino was

Regards, Jim O
Old Jan 15, 2011, 02:39 PM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,339 Posts
Quote:

Bill- i'm glad you didn't ask the guys if they new who Mr. Oddino was

Regards, Jim O
No worries Jim, I've got your back!!
Silent-AV8R is offline Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
Old Jan 15, 2011, 03:45 PM
Bro
Southern California
Joined Feb 2003
1,940 Posts
6125's

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhauch View Post
i like to know what we do about repairs also.

dave
Howdy,

There is a 30 day defect/manuf. warranty for any problems or "duds".
We are also going to be offering a 1yr return policy @40%off msrp. for any returned servos, with original reciept, no questions asked.
This will be spelled out clearer soon, but could change down the road. MKS ultimately will stand behind any type of issues. But we do not expect many.

We will also carry gear sets, spare arms, ect.

For now, all I can say is the results of these servos from our testing, and the testing of many others speaks for itself.

Best,
Bob
Bro is offline Find More Posts by Bro
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 15, 2011, 07:28 PM
Watervliet, Mich.
Joined Sep 2003
1,439 Posts
Sounds great Bob, thx!

dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro View Post
Howdy,

There is a 30 day defect/manuf. warranty for any problems or "duds".
We are also going to be offering a 1yr return policy @40%off msrp. for any returned servos, with original reciept, no questions asked.
This will be spelled out clearer soon, but could change down the road. MKS ultimately will stand behind any type of issues. But we do not expect many.

We will also carry gear sets, spare arms, ect.

For now, all I can say is the results of these servos from our testing, and the testing of many others speaks for itself.

Best,
Bob
dhauch is offline Find More Posts by dhauch
Old Jan 16, 2011, 02:45 PM
Joined Oct 2004
259 Posts
Can anyone point me to info on how you guys mount these flat servos in composite wings? Is the servo mount bonded to the upper skin or to false ribs or both? I'd always worried about oil canning of the wing skin and have tied the upper and lower skins together with false ribs.

How big a cutout is needed and what material is used around the edges to support the cover which I assume is taped on?
Photos would be nice.

Jim