HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 31, 2010, 04:40 PM
Begin with end in mind...
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,613 Posts
Build Log
24" T-copter Wii control

Well...After several frustrating months of trying to get CC controllers to work with Wii based T copters we have only one with TB-18's that actually flys well. This was after Leif logged countless hours of PID tuning, and ton of broken props. After today, I feel my time spent with CC is over . We ordered up a big pile of Turnigy Plush ESC's and decided to give them a go. Funny...just hook them up per instruction throttle up and they work go figure

I had three AXI 2212-34's laying around so I slapped together a T-copter test bed with a 24" inch main boom. This is quite a bit smaller than most that are flying. I did mount a mock Gopro on the front as I intend to use it for video. The weather was nasty outside, but I wanted to test it so badly I put it up in our family room. The thing flys quite well considering these are default settings with no trim. I was also trying to avoid any kind of disaster. I will wait until I get it outside to trim it. Now that I know it flys well, I will slap a cool canopy on it and get it ready for some work Here are some pics and a link to the maiden flight.

Mike

MAIDEN FLIGHT:

http://www.whispershots.com/Aerial-i...9_isd35/Medium

Pics:
power is offline Find More Posts by power
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2010, 05:50 PM
Joined Oct 2004
399 Posts
Ah, that flying in the living room, I've got nicks in the naugahyde on the bottom of my sofa from the first tri Glad you got the Wii going!
flipflop is offline Find More Posts by flipflop
Old Dec 31, 2010, 05:51 PM
Rich Hill Missouri 64779
Joined Nov 2003
8,399 Posts
Very nice Mike! I know one thing, Quads and tri's can cut your antenna off if you let them get too close to them. Cut 10" off mine! And in the blink of an eye! I found an old Tx with the same antenna and replaced it, so be careful in the house. Nice video! Happy New Year!
quailbird is offline Find More Posts by quailbird
Last edited by quailbird; Dec 31, 2010 at 08:39 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 11:44 PM
No thrust...It'll bust...
Troy, NH
Joined Sep 2006
4,375 Posts

troynh is offline Find More Posts by troynh
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Ghetto Tank
Old Jan 02, 2011, 10:13 AM
Brighton, England
Joined Mar 2009
385 Posts
Nice work! Must have been so frustrating trying to get those other esc's to work though before changing to the plush's.

Denham
DENHAMDULAKE is offline Find More Posts by DENHAMDULAKE
Old Jan 02, 2011, 11:59 AM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Hey Mike

You finally switched to some REAL speed controls!!
signguy is offline Find More Posts by signguy
Old Jan 02, 2011, 01:37 PM
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by signguy View Post
Hey Mike

You finally switched to some REAL speed controls!!
yeah...I did try the speed controls and I am happy so far. The wii setup is very iffy at this point. I went to tune the PID settings and everything went to ($%^% my board dosen't work, can't upload a sketch, error messages all over the place. I went down and tried to see if it retained any settings and I about destroyed everything in the house, after arming the sucker went WOT and then back down, my yaw servo started tweaking oout to the point of almost stripping gears.

I soldered up a completely new wii board and Arduino and I get the same crap. I have trouble shooted about everything and this setup wont take a sketch either.

Honestly...I know there are some that have had flawless luck with this but it just is not reliable enough for me. I could have bought a few CC speed controls with the funds I have into all these components that don't work for me Sorry...just venting I am very picky about soldering and following direction, I have done so and it still crapped on my shoes. I am inches from calling it quits on this as it is hard to swallow when I have a gyro setup that IMO flys just as good...

Mike
Old Jan 02, 2011, 03:28 PM
It flew...nearly!
Norway
Joined Apr 2006
1,941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
yeah...I did try the speed controls and I am happy so far. The wii setup is very iffy at this point. I went to tune the PID settings and everything went to ($%^% my board dosen't work, can't upload a sketch, error messages all over the place. I went down and tried to see if it retained any settings and I about destroyed everything in the house, after arming the sucker went WOT and then back down, my yaw servo started tweaking oout to the point of almost stripping gears.

I soldered up a completely new wii board and Arduino and I get the same crap. I have trouble shooted about everything and this setup wont take a sketch either.

Honestly...I know there are some that have had flawless luck with this but it just is not reliable enough for me. I could have bought a few CC speed controls with the funds I have into all these components that don't work for me Sorry...just venting I am very picky about soldering and following direction, I have done so and it still crapped on my shoes. I am inches from calling it quits on this as it is hard to swallow when I have a gyro setup that IMO flys just as good...

Mike
There does seem to be some unreliability, perhaps worth considering the board they are developing over in the multi rotor forum:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1358869
Looks like it will have several features AP'ers could benefit from!
This probably doesn't apply to your Arduino problem, but I actually had to swap board types to a different board than the mini pro in the software to get mine to accept a sketch.
Hang in there, it'll work in the end! Or try a kk controller, even I have been able get it working, so it must be reliable !
Matthew
Duck! is offline Find More Posts by Duck!
Old Jan 02, 2011, 05:25 PM
Troy, NH
Joined Sep 2006
4,375 Posts
Mike,

Have your flown the 2820 Pulso's yet? Just curious....

-Tim
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2011, 07:53 PM
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by troynh View Post
Mike,

Have your flown the 2820 Pulso's yet? Just curious....

-Tim
Soon...I am getting antsy myself to see them work. I am waiting on the speed controls, I wanted to confirm the wii system before I ordered the Turnigy plush 40 amp esc's. After this last wii fiasco, I am still going to order the Turnigy 40's as I ripped out the wii install on this 24" frame and installed the 401b gyros and I like how it runs with the Plush 25's. I need to fly it yet but everything sounds and feels good. I will be using the 401's on the larger motors. I can't trust the wii thing yet.

I am going to order one last batch of Arduino boards and play around a bit more. If I get mixed results this time around I am going to start a small fire and burn everything that has to do with wii based systems....

The weekend started out so good.....

Mike
Old Jan 02, 2011, 08:12 PM
Troy, NH
Joined Sep 2006
4,375 Posts
That's a bummer! Don't burn anything.... Send it to me.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2011, 09:46 PM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by troynh View Post
That's a bummer! Don't burn anything.... Send it to me.
If you've got two setups I'll take one

Have you tried uploading the blink sketch to see if maybe the arduino failed? If you have the pro mini, it has the needed LED already. the blink sketch is on the arduino web site. I cooked one processor with a stray wire strand, but now have 2 tri's and a quad that have at least a couple hours each on them without problems. Are you using a "genuine" WM+?

Let me know if I can help.......
BobD
signguy is offline Find More Posts by signguy
Old Jan 03, 2011, 10:19 AM
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by signguy View Post
If you've got two setups I'll take one

Have you tried uploading the blink sketch to see if maybe the arduino failed? If you have the pro mini, it has the needed LED already. the blink sketch is on the arduino web site. I cooked one processor with a stray wire strand, but now have 2 tri's and a quad that have at least a couple hours each on them without problems. Are you using a "genuine" WM+?

Let me know if I can help.......
BobD
Thanks Bob,

I may be in touch, blink sketch?? I will look into it. What does it do??

Here is a short history...my first Wii setup worked very well, it was my ESC's that were giving me fits (cc-PH-25's) I was running back and forth into the house to make PID changes and after about 15 trips the GUI froze and then the Arduino board just quit on me. I soldered up another and used the same wii board, this time I used it in the 24" frame you saw in this thread. That one took a dump as soon as I tried to make changes as well. I soldered up another with a new wii board (both were original new in box) and this time the GUI stayed frozen from the get go. The sketch loaded once...thats it, can't get another to load. I used the default settings with the Arduino software earlier, I did notice that the dropdown did not have the promini selected I selected it but it still didnt load.

I will look into the Blink sketch...

Mike
Old Jan 03, 2011, 11:11 AM
Troy, NH
Joined Sep 2006
4,375 Posts
The blink sketch is just a snippet of code that will blink the LED to let you know you have communication and things are working...

http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/Blink
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2011, 05:10 AM
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,613 Posts
Just thought I would post a clip of the 24" frame with the HK 401b's installed.
Honestly...This setup flys so much smoother than the wii did at the default settings. I know I can tweak the wii settings to get things better, but for plug and play this is still hard to beat

http://www.whispershots.com/Aerial-i...8_K9m5C/Medium

Mike