bof
UK, Shropshire, Ironbridge
United Kingdom, England, Ironbridge
Joined May 2006
36 Posts
Help!
Flyzone Albatros servo reversing problem

Hi all

I just got a new brick for my Flyzone Albatros, and all the servo throws are reversed. The manual describes how to reverse the servos but frankly either I'm not reading it properly or there is a knack to it that I'm overlooking.

Anybody out there had to do this? Did the instructions work for you? Am I missing something obvious?

Regards,

Bof
bof is offline Find More Posts by bof
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2010, 08:54 PM
billyjim
Cullman, AL
Joined Jun 2007
914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bof View Post
Hi all

I just got a new brick for my Flyzone Albatros, and all the servo throws are reversed. The manual describes how to reverse the servos but frankly either I'm not reading it properly or there is a knack to it that I'm overlooking.

Anybody out there had to do this? Did the instructions work for you? Am I missing something obvious?

Regards,

Bof
BOF:

No, the instructions are incorrect. Here's the correct instructions:
1. Press and hold the RIGHT TRIM button (not the "RIGHT TRIM or LEFT TRIM" button) below the left control stick;
2. The second part of the instructions is correct (for either elevator or rudder), i.e., pressing the appropriate buttons associated with the right control stick.

I've done this on two Tx-Rx combos already .. it works.

If you still can't get it to work, write back here and we'll ck things out further.

Bill
billyjim is offline Find More Posts by billyjim
Old Jan 01, 2011, 11:22 AM
bof
Joined May 2006
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjim View Post
BOF:

No, the instructions are incorrect. Here's the correct instructions:
1. Press and hold the RIGHT TRIM button (not the "RIGHT TRIM or LEFT TRIM" button) below the left control stick;
2. The second part of the instructions is correct (for either elevator or rudder), i.e., pressing the appropriate buttons associated with the right control stick.

I've done this on two Tx-Rx combos already .. it works.

If you still can't get it to work, write back here and we'll ck things out further.

Bill
Thanks Bill and happy new yr (Saw your note on the other thread too thanks)

I have tried this advice but still no joy. I have tried it with the battery off the plane and the Tx switched on; and also with the battery ON the plane and the Tx switched on, but not tried it with Tx switched off (didn't seem right to me).

When I press the right trim on the left stick and hold it down it gives a series of 3 or 4 beeps then goes quiet - continuing to hold it down I then press the right trim on the right stick which makes no beeps. Put battery on and tested plane - no change. Tried same test with 2 Txs.

Regards

John
Old Jan 01, 2011, 11:42 AM
billyjim
Cullman, AL
Joined Jun 2007
914 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Bill and happy new yr (Saw your note on the other thread too thanks)

I have tried this advice but still no joy. I have tried it with the battery off the plane and the Tx switched on; and also with the battery ON the plane and the Tx switched on, but not tried it with Tx switched off (didn't seem right to me).

When I press the right trim on the left stick and hold it down it gives a series of 3 or 4 beeps then goes quiet - continuing to hold it down I then press the right trim on the right stick which makes no beeps. Put battery on and tested plane - no change. Tried same test with 2 Txs.

Regards

John
JOHN:

Attaboy, John! --- you did a rigorous test of the various possibilities. I too had tried it initially with Rx lipo off, and then on --- made no difference. Only when I tried the correction I mentioned in my first post did I get the reverse I was looking for.

So....my conclusion is the same as yours: you've got a defective receiver.

Hopefully Hobbico/Flyzone/Tower Customer Support will be cooperative and forthcoming. My dealings with them have been very good.

Bill
Old Jan 01, 2011, 12:48 PM
bof
Joined May 2006
36 Posts
You almost read my mind - except my conclusion was ANOTHER faulty Rx.

Second in a row. I was kinda hoping I was just being dumb, coz now it will be another fortnight before I see a replacement as I live in the UK.

Thanks for reminding me I'm still sane Bill.

John
Old Jan 01, 2011, 01:10 PM
Brandon Mississippi/Independence Kentucky
Joined Oct 2000
605 Posts
bof:

I had problems getting my Flyzone servos to reverse as well. What solved it for me was to center the throttle trim then follow the reversing instructions in the manual. When I tried to reverse the servos with the throttle trim all the way down it did not work. I would center all the trims before trying to reverse the servos. Hope this works for you.

Ralph B
Ralph B is offline Find More Posts by Ralph B
Old Jan 01, 2011, 03:37 PM
billyjim
Cullman, AL
Joined Jun 2007
914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph B View Post
bof:

I had problems getting my Flyzone servos to reverse as well. What solved it for me was to center the throttle trim then follow the reversing instructions in the manual. When I tried to reverse the servos with the throttle trim all the way down it did not work. I would center all the trims before trying to reverse the servos. Hope this works for you.

Ralph B
RALPH:

I just tried to do a 'reverse' using different throttle trims. First I tried full UP trim (pushed the upper trim button till I got 16 beeps. Reverse worked fine.
Then I did a full DOWN throttle trim. Reverse still worked fine.
Then I put the throttle trim right in its center (8 beeps UP.) Again reverse worked fine.

So according the above results throttle trim doesn't seem to make a difference. I wonder why you and I have different results.

While on the subject of throttle trim, until recently I wasn't aware that such a feature existed. Now that I know I set all my Tx's to full UP trim -- which allows me start my taxiing for an R.O.G. with minimal throttle. I find that I can cruise at a very low throttle setting too. (Will that give my motor a longer life? ... I don't know.)

Bill
Old Jan 01, 2011, 04:27 PM
Brandon Mississippi/Independence Kentucky
Joined Oct 2000
605 Posts
Bill:

It's hard to say why we are getting such different results. I just wanted to throw my experience with my one unit into the mix in case it might solve the problem for bof and save him the trouble of returning his receiver.

Ralph
Ralph B is offline Find More Posts by Ralph B
Old Jan 01, 2011, 04:43 PM
billyjim
Cullman, AL
Joined Jun 2007
914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph B View Post
Bill:

It's hard to say why we are getting such different results. I just wanted to throw my experience with my one unit into the mix in case it might solve the problem for bof and save him the trouble of returning his receiver.

Ralph
Yeah, especially since he lives in the U.K., a long way from Tower Hobbies. Certainly at this point anything's worth a try.

Bill
Old Jan 01, 2011, 05:40 PM
It's a spiderweb of knit lines
Souderton Pa. USA
Joined Mar 2002
2,651 Posts
Reversing is done in the Tx. Makes no difference if the rx is on or not. If anything is bad it's the Tx.

On mine the trim buttons have no tactile feedback so it's difficult to know you have the button pressed.

Left stick being throttle/rudder. Right stick being aileron/elevator.
Mine works as follows:
Hold rudder right trim button.
Turn on Tx.
Press and release left aileron trim button to reverse ailerons.
Press and release down elevator trim button to reverse elevator. (the top trim switch)
Release rudder right trim button.
Plug battery into Rx and check directions.
mcross is offline Find More Posts by mcross
Last edited by mcross; Jan 01, 2011 at 07:01 PM.
Old Jan 01, 2011, 06:20 PM
billyjim
Cullman, AL
Joined Jun 2007
914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcross View Post
Reversing is done in the Tx. Makes no difference if the rx is on or not. If anything is bad it's the Tx.

On mine the trim buttoms have no tactile feedback so it's difficult to know you have the button pressed.

Mine works as follows.

Turn on Tx.
Press and release down elevator trim button to reverse elevator. (the top trim switch)
Release rudder right trim switch.
MCROSS:

You have aileron controls working on your Flyzone Tx (Model #FZT-324)? If so, what kind of receiver brick are you using (the factory Rx is only 3-channel)?

Bill
Old Jan 01, 2011, 06:59 PM
Souderton Pa. USA
Joined Mar 2002
2,651 Posts
Quote:
I was trying to avoid confusion but I've probably just made it worse.

At any rate I still consider it aileron on the Tx. The Rx determines what it is depending on where you hook the rod.
Old Jan 01, 2011, 07:02 PM
bof
Joined May 2006
36 Posts
Quote:

On mine the trim buttoms have no tactile feedback so it's difficult to know you have the button pressed.

Mine works as follows.

Turn on Tx.
Release rudder right trim switch.
Bill, Ralph & mcross,

Thanks for all the assistance - mcross's method worked for me and I now have a functional Albatros. Amazing how many different methods have had to be devised to succesfully do this for the same model - and none of them what it says in the magic book!! The supplied instructions are way off the plot so where would we be without communities like these?

Thanks again to all of you.

Bof
Old Jan 01, 2011, 07:08 PM
Souderton Pa. USA
Joined Mar 2002
2,651 Posts
Glad you got it working Bof.
Have fun.
Old Jan 01, 2011, 08:15 PM
billyjim
Cullman, AL
Joined Jun 2007
914 Posts
Quote:
Bill, Ralph & mcross,

Thanks for all the assistance - mcross's method worked for me and I now have a functional Albatros.
Bof
BOF: Just for kicks I tried mcross's method ... except I had the Rx working (plugged in the lipo) before starting his protocol. The drill worked just as well as mine. Go figger.

I think that one of the things that would help this kind of procedure (and flight trimming in general with the Albatros and Playmate systems) is if Hobbico/Flyzone would offer tactile feedback (in addition to aural feedback, which BTW, works nicely for me.) IOW, it would help if the trim buttons were discrete and raised -- so that one could change in-flight trim and know where the fingers were going without having to look away from the plane and glance down at the Tx. A lot (of bad things) can happen to the plane in just a few seconds, especially when flying in the playground across the street --- there are good-sized trees on all four sides of the perimeter -- and I have treed my planes in each of those trees, some of them more than once.

Bill