SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 02, 2011, 04:04 AM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,305 Posts
hi Tony,

sorry but i have no dwiring diagram, but it is easy to describe.

if you want to use rudder for rth:
receiver output (rudder) ------ osd input (aileron)/ osd output (aileron) ----- servo (rudder)

for elevator elevator and throttle (or aileron for rth) the connectios are:
receiver output ("function") ------ osd input ("function")/ osd output ("function") ----- servo ("function")

steering of the plane: you steer like a "normal" rc-plane. the signals are send to the servos like normal, there´s no influence from the osd.
rth: the osd takes control of the plane for elevator, throttle and rudder.

cu Thomas

edit: uuups npole was faster
2nd edit: edit after correction from npole - sorry for writing thrash
Thint1 is online now Find More Posts by Thint1
Last edited by Thint1; May 02, 2011 at 05:59 AM. Reason: edit after correction from npole - sorry for writing thrash
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2011, 05:44 AM
Joined Apr 2009
717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thint1 View Post
receiver output (rudder) ------ osd input (rudder)/ osd output (rudder) ----- servo (rudder)
Not exactly... nor that changing the terminology would makes a difference, but because of the OSD PRO instructions and input labeling it may confuses ppl. The correct connection is:

Receiver Rudder Out > OSD PRO Airelons In > OSD PRO Airelons Out > Rudder Servo.

Some additional informations: this is what most of us are using, especially for those using the FY20A (stabilizer). Some others are using the airelons for RTH operations, and it works good (it depends by the airframe). Also, when the guardian (EagleTree stabilization system) will be out, you'll probably going to use the airelons for the RTH operations, because you're forced to connect the airelons to the OSD PRO for stab purposes.
npole is offline Find More Posts by npole
Old Jun 29, 2011, 09:02 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Apr 2011
125 Posts
I've got a question for all...

I have a modified easy star (w/ailerons) and only one fail-safe channel (throttle) on the receiver with throttle, ailerons and elevator connected to osd-pro...
I was really hoping that the guardian (when it comes out) would provide additional channels for FS of additional surfaces (in my case rudder), but boy was i wrong!

In any event, here's the question: How are we supposed to setup Guardian and OSD-Pro RTH on planes that have both (ailerons and rudder controls) and only 1 FS channel on the receiver? A 3rd party FS unit for the surface/channel not connected to osd-pro?

Hope i'm not the only one with this dillema..

Thanks in advance!
igorek82 is offline Find More Posts by igorek82
Old Jun 30, 2011, 05:48 PM
near Stgt/Germany
Joined Feb 2003
1,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorek82 View Post
I've got a question for all...

I have a modified easy star (w/ailerons) and only one fail-safe channel (throttle) on the receiver with throttle, ailerons and elevator connected to osd-pro...
I was really hoping that the guardian (when it comes out) would provide additional channels for FS of additional surfaces (in my case rudder), but boy was i wrong!

In any event, here's the question: How are we supposed to setup Guardian and OSD-Pro RTH on planes that have both (ailerons and rudder controls) and only 1 FS channel on the receiver? A 3rd party FS unit for the surface/channel not connected to osd-pro?

Hope i'm not the only one with this dillema..

Thanks in advance!
Additional FS channels, this was never talked about and makes no sense.

I think you need a rx with FS on all channels, how about pan, tilt, aux1, aux2, camera switch, .... you don't wanna them in a not defined position.

How about jitter/noise on aileron or elevator, this would turn off RTH.

It's recommended to use Guardian on aileron and not on ruder.
mr..speed is offline Find More Posts by mr..speed
Old Jul 01, 2011, 09:25 AM
Whats the wrst that can happn?
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,652 Posts
I agree...I think that comment about recommending using the rudder vs ailerons in the ETOSD Pro manual is for when you're NOT using a stabilization system, such as the Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr..speed View Post
...It's recommended to use Guardian on aileron and not on ruder.
AdamChicago is offline Find More Posts by AdamChicago
Old Jul 15, 2011, 10:09 PM
Joined Oct 2007
32 Posts
Hi all , hope this thread is still active and someone can help ... my skywalker has et osdpro and fy20 , currently going through lots of test flights and adjustments but generally all going well ... my fy20 seems to be working nicely but when i hit rth she turns quite well heads home but once its overhead seems to just push the nose down dramatically ... my height is set to 300 ft but weather im higher or lower than 300 still points the nose down rather than circling at 300 ... any suggestions ? am checking back through the wizard and threads for suggestions
ausmark is offline Find More Posts by ausmark
Old Aug 22, 2011, 11:25 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
1,044 Posts
How to set up your RC Tx to test RTH using a switch on your Tx (Carlyle Method)

Make sure the following settings are made in the OSD.

d) Set the “Choose Receiver Type” to “PCM/FS” in the same menu
e) Set “Number Failsafe Chans on RX” to “1 FS Chns” in the same

Set up a mix on the throttle that mixes throttle into itself such that when you flick the switch it moves the throttle 10% more past idle.
ie,
RTH test off, -100%---0%---+100%
RTH test on, -110%---0%---+100%

Set all other throttle trims, travels and end points to their defaults.

Failsafe for the throttle should be set with the stick at idle, trim at neutral and your RTH test switch to the ON Position.

Repeat
set your Failsafes with the RTH switch in the ON position.

Failsafes for all your other channels should be set for Straight and level flight.

Before you run the Servo Analysis Wizard, set the RTH switch in the OFF position.

Now run the Servo Analysis Wizard, make sure throttle trim is at Neutral befor you start.

At the point where you are asked to turn your RC Tx off, the receiver will detect the Failsafe positions (throttle travel lower with stick at idle as set by your Failsafe positions), and this will be recorded by the OSD.

Now when you are flying and you want to test RTH, move your throttle stick to idle and flick your RTH switch, the OSD will see this as the receiver going into Failsafe and activate RTH.

To turn off RTH flick your RTH switch back or move the throttle stick up.

* You can also choose Option C “3Pos (RTH)” in the Radio Control Setup Menu / Choose Menu Receiver Inputs.*

Geoff
garris2 is offline Find More Posts by garris2
Old Aug 22, 2011, 08:17 PM
jcooksey
west tn
Joined Feb 2010
197 Posts
hello ,dont mean to butt in .ive got a couple of questions when it gets my turn. I just ordered the RQ-11 Raven from nitro planes and im going to instal my ETOSD on it and would like to have my return to home setup and maybe even get to try out the way points at some time. My question is do i have to have a flight stablelization sytem setup on it? I have a FMA copilot2 system but dont want to take it off my copterx 500.I am not planning on makeing any alerions for it,im going to just use the stock setup, rudder and elevator. Thanks
jcooksey is offline Find More Posts by jcooksey
Last edited by jcooksey; Aug 22, 2011 at 08:18 PM. Reason: ....
Old Aug 22, 2011, 11:27 PM
Joined Nov 2008
605 Posts
the problem with ET RTH stuff without their new "guardian" unit is they rely heavily on the plane being self-stabilizing. The ETOSD without the combined guardian unit has no clue as to the orientation of the plane! like it has no idea if it is heavily banking, or about to stall, or whatever. All it does is apply the amount of input you tell it would probably give "moderate climbing flight" or "a turn" and it can vary the throttle to try to maintain altitude, or move rudder or ailerons to turn towards a heading.

I reckon that is pretty risky if the plane is not in calm conditions or if it gets the RTH signal when in an unusual orientation or if the plane for whatever reason is just not particularly stable..
nyc863 is offline Find More Posts by nyc863
Old Aug 23, 2011, 09:51 AM
jcooksey
west tn
Joined Feb 2010
197 Posts
Is it safe after you have it setup, to power your transmitter off to check Return to home?
Old Aug 23, 2011, 09:58 PM
Joined Apr 2011
125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcooksey View Post
Is it safe after you have it setup, to power your transmitter off to check Return to home?
It's highly NOT recommended... see post titled "How to set up your RC Tx to test RTH using a switch on your Tx (Carlyle Method)" 3 posts up for a better solution.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:05 PM
jcooksey
west tn
Joined Feb 2010
197 Posts
Ok. I'll read up. Thanks. Isn't for when your plane looses your transmitter signal though?
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:09 PM
Joined Apr 2011
125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcooksey View Post
Ok. I'll read up. Thanks. Isn't for when your plane looses your transmitter signal though?
yes =) but since testing and tuning is a long (or never ending?) process you always (whenever possible) want to be able to step in and save your plane when an electronic component fails or simply doesnt work as anticipated/intended... by turning your transmitter OFF while testing you are simply adding one more element that can fail (i.e. not re-connect)
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:16 AM
Joined Oct 2009
39 Posts
now the guardian had availble, would the RTH more easy to fucntion with the default PID parameter?
rabit123 is offline Find More Posts by rabit123
Old Sep 15, 2011, 08:37 PM
I should be flying right now!
United States, IN, Crown Point
Joined May 2010
450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabit123 View Post
now the guardian had availble, would the RTH more easy to fucntion with the default PID parameter?
RTH works great with the guardian on my Skywalker. I used all defaults initially but have tweaked the settings to make it turn in a little faster. I never did get RTH to work reliably before the Guardian, even with the FY-20A for stabilization.
al1242 is offline Find More Posts by al1242