HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 30, 2010, 06:51 PM
Joined Sep 2010
130 Posts
Discussion
Eagle Tree OSD PRO Return to Home Config (Post your setup here).

Would be great to help others members configure OSD PRO RTH

Post here these informations:

Plane = ?
Radio = ?
Stabilization System (if you have) = ?

Choose Receiver Type = ?
Number Failsafe Chans on RX = ?

Cruise altitude = ?
Altitude error = ?
Pitch Proportional Gain = ?
Pitch Derivative Gain = ?
Turn Proportional Limit = ?
Turn Proportional Gain = ?
Turn Derivative Gain = ?
Turn Integral Gain = ?

Hope many posts to help everyone configure RTH.
felipesalomao is offline Find More Posts by felipesalomao
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2010, 08:14 PM
First to go over 106K feet
USA, IA, North Liberty
Joined Mar 2008
2,460 Posts
I use a JR XP9303 equipped with a DraginLink. I fly a Skywalker with a FY-20A stabilizer.

PCM/FS
1 FS chns
Max cruise speed - 30
Cruise altitude - 500
Altitude Error - 25
Pitch Proportional Gain - 70
Pitch Deriviative Gain -50
Turn Proportional Limit - 50
Turn Proportional Gain - 55
Turn Integral Gain - 55
Turn Deriviative Gain - 50

I use rudder for RTH not ailerons.

FY-20A settings all about midway +/- 10 degrees

During the Safety Wizard I use full rudder throw to the left plus 1/2 up elevator when asked to give it left stick. Of course your settings can vary depending on how much throw you're using on your rudder along with your control geometery.

RTH with a FY-20A and a Skywalker work very well and you shouldn't have too much of a problem setting it up.

Climb to your cruise altitude (mine is set at 500 feet) and hit your switch or your throttle trim and see what the plane does. If it comes back and circles overhead while maintaining altitude then try several different headings especially with the blowing to confirm your settings.

It really is too bad anybody looses their airplane with a loss of video or R/C signal with a ET OSD Pro. It only takes a few minutes to set it up and run the Safety Wizard. Then a short flying session to test it out.

Be sure to have the FY-20A into the stabilizer mode when you go into Failsafe! This is easily tested on the bench.
Crist Rigotti is offline Find More Posts by Crist Rigotti
Last edited by Crist Rigotti; Dec 31, 2010 at 06:36 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 10:39 AM
Joined Sep 2010
130 Posts
Hi Crist, thanks for these informations, hope more members post these informations here..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crist Rigotti View Post
I use a JR XP9303 equipped with a DraginLink. I fly a Skywalker with a FY-20A stabilizer.

PCM/FS
1 FS chns
Max cruise speed - 30
Cruise altitude - 50
Altitude Error - 25
Pitch Proportional Gain - 70
Pitch Deriviative Gain -50
Turn Proportional Limit - 50
Turn Proportional Gain - 55
Turn Integral Gain - 55
Turn Deriviative Gain - 50

I use rudder for RTH not ailerons.

FY-20A seetings all about midway +/- 10 degrees

During the Safety Wizard I use full rudder throw to the left plus 1/2 up elevator when asked to give it left stick. Of course your settings can vary depending on how much throw your using on your rudder along with your control geometery.

RTH with a FY-20A and a Skywalker work very well and you shouldn't have too much a problem setting it up.

Climb to your cruise altitude (mine is set at 500 feet) and hit your switch or your throttle trim and watch to see what the plane does. If it comes back and circles overhead while maintaining altitude then try it on several different headings especially with the blowing to confirm your settings.

It really is too bad anybody looses their airplane with a loss of video or R/C signal with a ET OSD Pro. It only takes a few minutes to set it up and run the Safety Wizard. Then a short flying session to test it out.

Be sure to have the FY-20A into the stabilizer mode when you go into Failsafe! This is easily tested on the bench.
felipesalomao is offline Find More Posts by felipesalomao
Old Jan 02, 2011, 12:41 PM
Joined Jul 2010
104 Posts
Good thread Felipe.

MPX Easy glider.
Futaba 35Mhz. 149DP receiver. Elevator on channel 8 to avoid pulse problems with FMA copilot.
PCM/FS
1 FS Channel. (Carlyle method)
RTH with Rudder and Throttle.
Elevator channel not connected to OSD Pro
Aileron and Elevator connected to FMA Copilot.
PID and other safety wizard settings per default.
During wizard I use 3/4 throw rudder.

Normal range 4 to 5 km consistently.

Eagle Tree works superb. A must to have for safe FPV.
3frcg is offline Find More Posts by 3frcg
Old Jan 02, 2011, 04:22 PM
Toronto Canada
Joined Jan 2008
656 Posts
I see you guys are all tricking the eagle tree into telling it that you are running pcm so you have a failsafe. I am running 72mhz which is ppm, so i am just setting mine up for ppm and when i run the safety wizard, i just turn off my transmitter when it asks me to. I guess i have been doing it wrong the whole time? Crist, you are running the dl which is ppm and telling the eagle tree you are running pcm. I assume this is so you can use a switch or carlyle method to engage rth.
lilphil26 is offline Find More Posts by lilphil26
Old Jan 02, 2011, 04:33 PM
Joined Jul 2010
104 Posts
lilphil26:

You can find 72Mhz receivers working in PPM and with the Failsafe option.

Maybe the best is Multiplex Rx-9 Synth.
Other not so good is the well known Corona RPD1 from China.

Regards.
3frcg is offline Find More Posts by 3frcg
Old Jan 05, 2011, 09:48 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
Joined Feb 2005
236 Posts
OK. I'm thinking about adding the FY-20A to my Skywalker, but I'm curious. You guys seem to like using rudder for the RTH, even though ET suggests using the Ailerons. Why? Also, are you running the rudder through both the ET-OSD pro AND the FY-20A, in series? How are you hooking this up?
cwd10 is offline Find More Posts by cwd10
Old Jan 05, 2011, 09:54 AM
How do I change this text?
The Beautiful Mountains of Utah
Joined Oct 2006
6,223 Posts
I'm using rudder in RTH instead of ailerons because that is how I had my Ardupilot set up and it worked perfectly that way.

Are you sure ET recommends ailerons? I thought they recommended rudder. Check page 3 of the OSD manual: "Based on customer reports, we recommend connecting your rudder to the Aileron/Rudder connection instead of the ailerons, if your plane has both ailerons and rudder."

I haven't posted my ET configuration settings because I'm still tweaking them. When below my cruise altitude, I get death spirals; when at or above my cruise altitude, I get perfect RTH. Crist gave me some suggestions how to fix it. When I get it working, I'll post my numbers.
Darth_Elevator is offline Find More Posts by Darth_Elevator
Old Jan 05, 2011, 11:10 AM
USA, IA, North Liberty
Joined Mar 2008
2,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwd10 View Post
OK. I'm thinking about adding the FY-20A to my Skywalker, but I'm curious. You guys seem to like using rudder for the RTH, even though ET suggests using the Ailerons. Why? Also, are you running the rudder through both the ET-OSD pro AND the FY-20A, in series? How are you hooking this up?
RX rudder channel to OSD Aileron input, OSD Aileron output to FY-20A Rudder input, FY-20A Rudder output to Rudder servo.
Old Jan 05, 2011, 11:26 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
Joined Feb 2005
236 Posts
"Are you sure ET recommends ailerons? I thought they recommended rudder."

You're correct. I misread it. I have not installed it yet, and was just glancing over it. I plan on reading the entire instructions again, before final installation so I don't make that kind of mistake again.

"RX rudder channel to OSD Aileron input, OSD Aileron output to FY-20A Rudder input, FY-20A Rudder output to Rudder servo."

Got it. I though that was the way, but it's hard to visualize, without all of it in front of me.

Thanks guys.
Old Jan 05, 2011, 06:44 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
Joined Feb 2005
236 Posts
Well, isn't this interesting. When I quoted my manual about them recommending the ailerons instead of the rudder, my recollection was correct. You see, my manual is the (Document Verison 2.9), and it says "We recommend connecting your ailerons to the Aileron/Rudder connection instead of the rudder, if your plane has both ailerons and rudder". Yet when I pulled the manual off of their website today (Docuent Version 3.7), it says "Based on customer reports, we recommend connecting your rudder to the Aileron/Rudder connection instead of the ailerons, if your plane has both ailerons and rudder". It's backwards! Somewhere along the line they changed it, but I never knew it until this episode.

That makes me wonder what else has changed between the two. I'm going to print out the new one right away, and start over.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 03:38 AM
Joined Oct 2006
6,223 Posts
I used to almost always get death spirals when I was activating RTH with FMA co-pilot. It's been a night and day difference since I added an FY-20A. The plane actually turns around for home without spiraling out of control, which means I can start fine-tuning all the numbers.

Here's a video of an RTH test with everything at default values, except turn prop gain, which was set at 43. It's the farthest out that I've activated RTH -- 2000 feet out.

As you can see from the video, initial turn is pretty slow and there's quite a bit of zigzagging as the test proceeds. To make the initial turn faster, I'm going to try changing the 43 back to 50. I'll also increase turn derivative gain a little bit at a time until I get rid of the zigzagging. I will also turn up all the gains on the FY-20A to about 50%; they were at about 25% for this test.

RTH test 1/21/2011 (1 min 7 sec)
Old Jan 23, 2011, 08:44 AM
USA, IA, North Liberty
Joined Mar 2008
2,460 Posts
[QUOTE=Darth_
As you can see from the video, initial turn is pretty slow and there's quite a bit of zigzagging as the test proceeds. To make the initial turn faster, I'm going to try changing the 43 back to 50. I'll also increase turn derivative gain a little bit at a time until I get rid of the zigzagging. I will also turn up all the gains on the FY-20A to about 50%; they were at about 25% for this test.

QUOTE]

Mine is doing the zigzaging too. Let me know what worked for you when you have it tracking properly. thanks.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 03:04 PM
Joined Jan 2011
51 Posts
short vidio of my first test today. all gains in et set to 20, no stabilizer.
must change the rudder and elev ways in the setup.
is there a way to set the diameter of the circle where the skywalker circles when at home?
best regards from snowy germany
ralf

FPV Skywalker RTH Test (6 min 1 sec)
rabe2000 is offline Find More Posts by rabe2000
Old Jan 24, 2011, 08:25 AM
Joined Oct 2006
6,223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crist Rigotti View Post
Mine is doing the zigzaging too. Let me know what worked for you when you have it tracking properly. thanks.
Will do!