Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 12, 2011, 09:38 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,415 Posts
Thanks for sharing. That launch was a nail biter.......

Bob, I see you found out that it drops like a rock when you cut power. Sorry...... forgot to mention that.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2011, 09:48 PM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
7,939 Posts
I was very nose heavy also. Need to move the battery, 3S 710ma, back. Going to modify the ailerons for more throw also.
Bob
bruff is online now Find More Posts by bruff
Old Jan 12, 2011, 11:01 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,180 Posts
Here's a screen capture from the video showing a shadow on the log, and the wire over the plane. That was close Bob!

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Jan 13, 2011, 12:43 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,765 Posts
bet you couldnt do that again bob!
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jan 13, 2011, 12:46 AM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruff View Post
I was very nose heavy also. Need to move the battery, 3S 710ma, back. Going to modify the ailerons for more throw also.
Bob
I also have a 3s 700 as one of my batts. There is a small bump on top of the fuselage just behind the canopy (gps rx?). The back of the battery is under that. Takes a bit of work with a knife and sandpaper, but now I've got it sorted, it deals with the weight quite well.
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Jan 13, 2011, 06:42 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
Here's a screen capture from the video showing a shadow on the log, and the wire over the plane. That was close Bob!

Pat
Folks, We have the Limbo Contest winner!
Old Jan 13, 2011, 06:51 PM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
7,939 Posts
Thank you Thank you! Hope never to repeat it again.
Power system is Hacker E10-28L (2 each) and one Master Hacker/Jeti 11 AMP ESC and 3S 730ma TP LiPo pack.
Bob
bruff is online now Find More Posts by bruff
Old Jan 14, 2011, 03:33 AM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
3,964 Posts
Look at what's now available on ebay, item #260719922411
fredmdbud is offline Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old Jan 14, 2011, 05:23 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Stellenbosch, South Africa
Joined Apr 2004
2,057 Posts
They were listed a week ago. Non-eBay shop of that seller: http://www.flying-hobby.com/shop/min...fs-p-7635.html

Too bad we did all the testing and AEO released it just like it was...
MegaTesla is online now Find More Posts by MegaTesla
Old Jan 14, 2011, 05:39 AM
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
I just mentioned that. Oh well, at least we got the CoG and thrust issues nutted out before it went out. Shame, as there were a few changes I'd like to see...
I wonder if the manual has any of that info in it?
Old Jan 14, 2011, 08:13 AM
Joined Feb 2006
7,415 Posts
The kit I reviewed looked production ready to me. That means no matter what our results, this run was going as is and whatever they have will be sold. My bet is that a V2 will come out at some point and incorporate changes. Anyone that gets the V1 kits can follow the modifications and correct the issues.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 02:44 PM
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
True, yours did seem different from mine.
After having a close look at the 3 here, there are very slight differences, mainly in aesthetic quality, but yours didn't have the battery bay divider, which is a fairly large change.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 07:48 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,415 Posts
After playing around with a couple ideas, I settled on modifications to the exhaust duct using depron inserts. The goal was to reduce the diameter and create a touch of up thrust to offset the nose down tendency at throttle with the unmodified nacelles.

Inserts were cut from 2mm depron and put in the bottom half of the exhaust duct. The original design shows a thicker upper half of the nacelle, the bottom half was much thinner. The depon can be sanded either prior to installation or after. The contour of the inner lip was sanded smooth to provide a clean transition from the inner duct wall and over the the depron insert. The end result is a necked down exhaust diameter to approximately 28mm. The duct is not exactly concentric, but close. The insert directs the airflow slightly higher, in effect pushing the tail down rather than the airflow over the stab causing the tail to lift..... with a subsequent nose down pitch at throttle.

Cut the depron....

Roll it with a little heat and something to form it on

Installed in the duct and trimmed, then sanded to the proper contour.

Last edited by Joe 1320; Jan 16, 2011 at 12:22 PM. Reason: typo
Old Jan 16, 2011, 12:24 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,881 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaTesla View Post
The model is made of EPS foam and not EPO as mentioned in post 1. That's why many of us received ours with cracks and dents.
I have one kit of EPO, and one of EPS (as verified by the shipping statement). My cursory observations:

The EPS kit has the "typical" cracks mentioned previously: nacelle to fuselage joint and tail section aft of horizontal stab. These appear to be caused by the box being too small for the contents (box was not damaged in transit)

The EPO kit came with the box slightly damaged, but no nacelle damage. However, the tail is cracked in the same location as EPS kit. Again, I think the damage is caused by packing, and not shipping.

The EPS kit has fatter wings (more foam expansion?) resulting in the poor wing saddle fit as pointed out by Joe in post #47. The EPO wing fits fine.

The foam piece on which the canopy sits is too narrow in both kits, and it looks like the canopy should be moved aft ~18mm to a more scale location. I'll shape a new wider piece and relocate a new canopy on it (smoothing the inexplicable flat section of the canopy behind the windscreen).

Will be interesting to see what paint the EPO will take.... Any suggestions?

I'm really looking forward to flying this beauty after making the adjustments suggested in this thread - thanks.

Gene K
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Jan 16, 2011, 10:20 AM
Joined Feb 2006
7,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01 View Post
I have one kit of EPO, and one of EPS (as verified by the shipping statement).

I'm really looking forward to flying this beauty after making the adjustments suggested in this thread - thanks.

Gene K

Hey Gene...... welcome to the guinea pig club. Sure would like to see some pics of the EPO airframe.

Now it was time to test the results. I hand launched the model and immediatly upon leaving my hand it performed a gentle climb out. I said to myself, "Man this looks good so far." I performed a few circuits and every time I punched the throttle, the plane kept it's same pitch and it powered though all manouvers cleanly. The higher velocity of the exhaust gives a little more speed with less throttle and can even fly slower than a stock setup. The overall result should mean a longer flight times as less throttle can be used, there is still a bit of a vectored thrust at higher elevator throws, but the biggest plus is that the nose down tendency is gone. The plane is much more forgiving and stable, it tends to fly just like larger versions. I went through a couple packs and did numerous runs against that "dam" at the end of the canal, the smile brought back some fond A-10 memories. This plane is a blast now and I highly recommend this modification if thrust tubes are not being used, it will make this a much more pleasurable plane to fly. One thing though...... this plane suffers from the typical A-10 power off dive. The nacelles block some airflow over the elevators when power is off so there is a loss of elevator effectiveness without the fans running. You must get used to landing with power on, you won't get very far by cutting power up high and attempting to glide down. The bird gets flown right down to the deck before cutting power. Remember that trait and you will have many funs flights ahead.

Here's the vid of the test flight after modifications. Hand launch was super easy, the model flew right out.

ELERC Micro A-10 after modifications (2 min 48 sec)
Last edited by Joe 1320; Jan 16, 2011 at 12:21 PM.