That thing would make a dust storm on our runway!!! TW
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2011, 02:07 PM
Leduc, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2008
562 Posts
Staggerflyer,
Are you flying from a grass field? It should cut a nice swath through the grass.

Cheers,
Peter
Orvis is offline Find More Posts by Orvis
Old Jan 21, 2011, 10:31 PM
Tama, Iowa USA
Joined Dec 2007
575 Posts
Orvis

Our field is short grass with petromat 120' x 24' presently. We have a "X"ing runway setup, so we did one roll cut in half and laid side by side in each direction, actually making the petromat as an upside down "L." We are planning on getting two more rolls in the next year or two to extend each section.

I am going to cut 1/2" off the prop tips to make them into 15" units. The only 14" three blades I can find are 9" pitch. For electrics that size is very inefficient for a plane this size.
Staggerflyer is offline Find More Posts by Staggerflyer
Old Jan 22, 2011, 11:00 AM
Tama, Iowa USA
Joined Dec 2007
575 Posts
Picked up a few more ordered parts from the LHS yesterday. And, of course, just as I go to take some pics, the battery goes dead in the camera. It's on charge, now.

Anyway, have my retracts all installed and hoses all run. Pressured them up three days ago, cycled them a few times, and left them in the retracted position. Came home last night, dropped them down, still had pressure. This am, I raised them again, then lowered again, still plenty of pressure. So, no leaks in mine. Getting ready to hook up nose steering now.

Still need to order the motors, and LHS only got one of the ESCs in, but I have just about everything else. Only thing slowing down the build is my work hours. So far, most everything going straight forward on the build, except where previously noted.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 12:50 AM
Moorpark, Ca.
Joined Apr 2004
1,085 Posts
Staggerflyer,
Here are a few more options for 3 blade props. http://www.centralhobbies.com/props/3-blade.htm I'm going to check out the 15 x 13.5 x 3 prop for my H9 P-40. Should get to start on the Tigercat soon as the P-40 has taken to the skies. Nice thread!

Rick
RickAvery is offline Find More Posts by RickAvery
Old Jan 24, 2011, 05:12 AM
Tama, Iowa USA
Joined Dec 2007
575 Posts
Thanks Rick, just ordered a pair of those. My Black Horse P-40 uses, and likes, the 15.75x13x3, using the same motor/ESC combo I will be using on the F7F.

The APC store and catalog were off line/closed when I was figuring out what to use and order, so didn't know what sizes they had. The Master Airscrew 16" prop comes in 10" & 8" pitches, while the 14" comes in 6" & 9"
Old Jan 24, 2011, 05:19 AM
Tama, Iowa USA
Joined Dec 2007
575 Posts
Just recieved notice of a major problem about the fuselage framework from a builder on the RCUniverse forums. Everyone following along or building this Tigercat should check this out.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_90...m.htm#10283633

Post #231 near bottom of page.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 09:24 AM
In NY's beautifull hills
Binghamton Broome Cty, New York, United States
Joined Jun 2004
1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerflyer View Post
Just recieved notice of a major problem about the fuselage framework from a builder on the RCUniverse forums. Everyone following along or building this Tigercat should check this out.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_90...m.htm#10283633

Post #231 near bottom of page.
Good input--I will transpose nosegear/fuse reinforcement into my A26 if it looks at all iffy as we too have high grass to our runway sides.
staggerwing is offline Find More Posts by staggerwing
Old Jan 31, 2011, 08:43 PM
Tama, Iowa USA
Joined Dec 2007
575 Posts
Got some more work done on mine. Made some battery boxes and cut the holes for them in the firewalls. Made some stand-offs for the motor mounts, and fit everything temporarily on one nacelle to check fit.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 09:25 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,581 Posts
that motor looks awfully small for that prop, i hope it can take it. larry wolfes ASM tigercat (first one in the states flying, beta build) had motors that were too small for the 3 bladers he was using, i watched him smoke a motor, and the model was trashed. the motors are so far apart on the tigercat, its just about impossible to safely land one on 1 motor unless you cut the power and glide.
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jan 31, 2011, 09:31 PM
Tama, Iowa USA
Joined Dec 2007
575 Posts
Have some free time to work on things today and tomorrow because I am right in the middle of the big snowstorm blowing thruoght the upper midwest today and tomorrow. Actually, I'm in the southern part of it, central Iowa, and the place I have to truck to everyday is in the northern part of it, St.Paul, Minn. Expecting up to 10-15 inches for the storm. We were told to stay home.

Believe it or not, after 37 years as an auto mechanic, and flying R/C since 1981, I have never run into using an aluminum nut (prop) on an aluminum shaft. I didn't know that's a no-no. In the last picture above, I had just barely tightened the spinner nut just over finger tight for the picture. It was a brand new nut I had just recieved, (ordered two.)
When I tried to disassemble the prop from the motor to remove the cowl, the nut siezed!!! After much oiling, slowly turning back and forth, and much teeth gnashing, I finally got it off, but the shaft and nut were ruined.

Since this motor is out of my BH P-40, I needed a new shaft assy. I also needed a set of steel nuts. Ordered the nuts first, from MECOA, the only people who carry CB Spinners and who have the adaptor nuts to fit my application. THEN I checked with Innov8tive.com about the prop shaft for the Scorpion motor. It was out of stock. Bummer. I also checked on a pair of motors, since I had the money, finally. They are out of stock also!! Double bummer! I called and asked about availability, and was told that a shipment was due in next week, but that all the motors in the shipment were already sold. The manufacturer has been concentrating on a new line of helicopter motors, and are only now starting to fill back orders on airplane motors. I was told it could be a couple months before I could see a pair, if I put my order in now. I decided to pass. So, I ordered a pair of Rimfire 50-65-450 1.20sized motors from Tower Hobbies, I also found a tru-turn collet adaptor kit desined to use the spinner backplate as the drive washer, which would work perfectly on the P-40, so I ordered that.

So, back to doing some more little tinkering and fitting of things, such as finishing up the retract air control mounting, which must be completely fabricated, as well as most of the radio mounting. I'm using the Spectrum 7 channel reciever, and since this is electric, no vibration problems, I can just stick the reciever to the bottom of the wing with foam mounting tape.

I still need to strengthen the nose supports in the fuselage, and figure a way to run the steering cables so they stay out of the way of the nose gear as it retracts and extends. I've read lot's of reports from other builders saying they did this, but never any pics or explanation of how.

The wood screws used to secure the outer wing panels to the aluminum tube are very brittle in the drive area. Just doing final tightneing after drilling and enlarging the holes in the tube caused the slots to crack, so figure on replacing these screws.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 09:40 PM
Tama, Iowa USA
Joined Dec 2007
575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
that motor looks awfully small for that prop, i hope it can take it. larry wolfes ASM tigercat (first one in the states flying, beta build) had motors that were too small for the 3 bladers he was using, i watched him smoke a motor, and the model was trashed. the motors are so far apart on the tigercat, its just about impossible to safely land one on 1 motor unless you cut the power and glide.
That is a Scorpion S4025-12 motor. .90-1.00 sized. The prop as a 16x10x3, which is actually small for the motor. I fly that motor in a Black Horse (Hobby People) .90 sized P-40C, using an APC 15.75x13x3 prop on 5S 5000mah 20C Blue Lipos, with a Castle ICE 100A ESC. The motor has never gotten warm. Pulls 80Amps static, 76Amps is highest logged in the air, on take-off only. Once up to speed, even at full throttle it never hits 70A. I have loggers on all my electrics, will be using the ICE 100's on the tigercat also.

I will be using Rimfire 1.20 sized motors in the Kitty, since I won't be able to get the Scorpions for a couple months, or more. That prop is the size called for by it.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 10:34 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,581 Posts
ok, just wanted to make sure, perhaps the photo was throwing off the look glad you have proven the numbers. cant wait to see it go!!!! i remember seeing larry's fly...and it flew gorgeous. fast too. just like the real deal.
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Feb 14, 2011, 01:36 PM
Tama, Iowa USA
Joined Dec 2007
575 Posts
Recieved my motors last weekend, just got them mounted yesterday. Not much else done on her lately because of R/L stuff in the way.

Took the plane to it's first public showing, our R/C club meeting, and when trying to show how things worked, nothing worked!!?? The radio was saying the battery was dead in the Tx. I had just charged it! When I checked things out the next day, I found the battery was good, fully charged. So I tried to operate a couple other of my planes in the memory. I have the Spectrum DX7 system. It wouldn't operate any of them. Tried to rebind the Tigercat, it wouldn't bind. So, I called Horizon Hobby's support department, and found that, while not common, this has happened enough that they know what it is. Was told it shouldn't cost more than $150, maybe less, complete. My system is one of the early ones, purchased 02-07. It has worked flawlessly till now, so I really can't complain. Just glad it happened during the off season, instead of in the air!! I am going to fix it, but in the meantime, I ordered the new DX8 system, which I am waiting for to be delivered this afternoon. I have to sign for the package, otherwise I would already be at work. (Truck driver, winter schedule allows us to go when we want for load pickup, long as we get one a day in.)

A couple pics of the motor mounting, and the battery boxes. Nothing glued in, yet, just fitting.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 06:00 AM
Joined Aug 2009
137 Posts
Subscribed!

Hi there folks,

I'm here in Germany and when I saw videos of the ESM and ASM Tigercats weeks ago I decided to build my first HUGE RC plane.

This thing looks so great and seems to fly really well too !

The only thing is I still don't know which one to get.The ESM (which I like more because of the paint scheme or the ASM which is obviously lighter and therefore probably better for electric power (which I wanted to use also)

I've seen already that there are some other differences between the ESM and ASM model such as the flaps (there are four on the ESM) and also the landing gear seems to be alittle different (judging by looking at the nose gears especially)

Probably I will decide for the ASM. And there's my first question:

Who sells them in Germany/Europe ? I cannot find one...

(Anyone's got a link for the manual?)

Regards
Robert
warbirdpilot is offline Find More Posts by warbirdpilot
Last edited by warbirdpilot; Feb 18, 2011 at 06:10 AM.