HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 07, 2011, 08:46 AM
In NY's beautifull hills
Binghamton Broome Cty, New York, United States
Joined Jun 2004
1,126 Posts
[QUOTE=CarreraGTSCS;17024845]Staggerwing-- You can't just casually mention your 24' Se5a and not post pics and elaborate a little. I've been thinking of the Loehle Spit Elite for a pre-retirement project.

Will send you a PM on the SE5--don't think this thread is the place to do it
staggerwing is offline Find More Posts by staggerwing
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2011, 12:55 PM
Tama, Iowa USA
Joined Dec 2007
576 Posts
Found another point where instructions are useless. Rudder connection. Instructions reference doing it twice, but never show it. Same goes with the nosewheel steering. They also don't mention the requirement to cross either the nose or rudder cables, (both pull-pull) so they will turn the same direction. I've read where some people are using a separate servo for nosewheel steering. But wires still need to be crossed unless you have a reversed servo.
Staggerflyer is offline Find More Posts by Staggerflyer
Last edited by Staggerflyer; Jan 13, 2011 at 10:12 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 06:54 PM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,129 Posts
Bought a Tigercat with wheels and struts today. Won't be here for a week or two. I won't be building it for a while so I have time to figure out how to power it. I'm thinking one of the Turnigy motors but they have a bad reputation for loosening magnets in flight. The whole point of going electric on a twin is reliability so I'm hesitant to order them. I'm going to have to put more flights on my CMP Spitfire which has a C4260-600 in it to see if there is a problem. Flies the 6 lb Spitfire well. I'm thinking etracts for the TC too.

Do you know the weight of the Tigercat components befroe motor/battery/retracts/radio etc? I'm trying to work out an estimate of the AUW so I can figure out what to order.

Mike
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Jan 13, 2011, 09:03 PM
Tama, Iowa USA
Joined Dec 2007
576 Posts
Mike, I'm going to be using the Scorpion S4025-12 motors on mine. They are designed to be bullet proof. I have one of these in my BH P-40C and it flies it fantastic, using the APC 15.75x13x3 prop on 5 cells.

Order them direct from Innov8tive. Click on the ad above.

Did not check empty weight, sorry. All reports have the Kitty coming out a little heavy. The Scorpions I'm using are .90 equivilants.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 10:11 PM
Tama, Iowa USA
Joined Dec 2007
576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by staggerwing View Post
Will be doing the 92" ASM A 26 soon, same construction as the T Cat. Have mtrs, ESC's etc,
It was a toss up as to my getting the F7F or the A-26. Both were on Christmas sale for same price. I really wanted the P-61 Black Widow, but it was discontinued. Be sure and start a thread on your A-26 when you start it.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 07:42 AM
Joined Jan 2004
9,129 Posts
My Tigercat just arrived at the terminal. I'm leaving to pick it up now!

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2011, 12:01 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
Ahh you pulled the trigger. Lucky you! TW
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Jan 20, 2011, 01:02 PM
Joined Jan 2004
9,129 Posts
That I did TW. I was offered a good deal on one that was too hard to walk away from so I oiled the rusty hinge on my wallet, pried it open with a crowbar and bought it. I got the struts too but not the pneumatic retracts. I might get the EFlite 60-120 sized electric retracts. I'm not sure though if I'll go that route. It might just be simpler to get a set of heavy duty mechanical retracts and and a metal gear servo for each retract.

Stagger, I know you've commented on how big it is already but man, is this bird big. I might just save the box and have my wife bury me in it when my time comes. She might not wait. After coming home this afternoon and seeing the living room filled with box and giant airplane she questioned my sanity (and possibly longevity).

It's an impressively large and detailed model. Nothing like the ESM TC but for the price pretty darn nice especially after reading all of the reports of how well behaved she is in the air. If she is really as great a flying plane as she is then she'll be going to NEAT with me in September. Fingers crossed.

Mike

PS- Thanks Steve!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2011, 02:09 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
Crowbar my arse! That money melted the hinges on your wallet!
Did you buy it new or from a previous owner? TW
Old Jan 20, 2011, 03:44 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerflyer View Post
Mike, I'm going to be using the Scorpion S4025-12 motors on mine. They are designed to be bullet proof. I have one of these in my BH P-40C and it flies it fantastic, using the APC 15.75x13x3 prop on 5 cells.

Order them direct from Innov8tive. Click on the ad above.

Did not check empty weight, sorry. All reports have the Kitty coming out a little heavy. The Scorpions I'm using are .90 equivilants.
Stagg, Are you gonna use one battery per motor or two? A 2 and 3 cell? TW
Old Jan 20, 2011, 04:23 PM
Joined Jan 2004
9,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleW View Post
Crowbar my arse! That money melted the hinges on your wallet!
Did you buy it new or from a previous owner? TW
You know me too well! I bought it from someone here on RCG. I was amazed to see that when I opened the giant box it was all unopened. The previous owner didn't even take it out of the box to look at.

I'm probably going to go with a single 6s 5000 pack behind each motor but in front of or through the firewall. I'm just about to order a Turnigy 5065-400 for my .40 sized VQ Hurricane on 6s lipos. Overkill for the airframe but it'll give me some real world experience with that motor which just might work on the Tigercat.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2011, 10:12 PM
Tama, Iowa USA
Joined Dec 2007
576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleW View Post
Stagg, Are you gonna use one battery per motor or two? A 2 and 3 cell? TW
Haven't made up my mind yet, TW. I have two each 5 and 6 cell 5000mah Blue Lipos, as well as eight 2 cell ones. Just ordered six 3 cell ones from Hobbypartz, they have a sale on them right now, low enough I couldn't resist. Since all 5 of my planes can use different configurations of the 5000mah packs, and I originally started buying a pair for each plane, (one flying while one charging) then trying different setups, depending on prop/RPM/AMP requirement, so I can change around depending on conditions. I'll make the compartments sized for either/or. I will most likely go with the 2+3 or 3+3 setups, depending on props. APC will use 5 cells, MA will use 6.

Unfortunately, I have to wait another week before ordering the motors, but I can start building the mounts and trays, as I have one of the same motor/ESC/prop setup from my BH P-40C that I can use to do the setup fitting. Hope to do some work on it this weekend.

I do have all the retracts mounted, and the hoses run and tested. Now need to hook up the steering cables, and start on the gear door mounting. After I get that done, along with mounting the actuating mecahnism, I'll start on the motor mounts. We are going to have our coldest temps of the season, so far, this weekend, along with blowing, blizzard conditions, so I won't be going anywhere. Hope to get some progress done.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 10:17 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
Have you confirmed what is the biggest prop size you can use? Is the fuselage the limitation or the ground? Thanks,TW
Old Jan 20, 2011, 10:18 PM
Tama, Iowa USA
Joined Dec 2007
576 Posts
Mike,
Yes, it is a big plane! My cat confiscated the box before I even got the plane completely out! We ended up cutting an end section off of it for her, so we could have the living room back. I have to move furniture to make room for the entire plane with full wing sections on it!

I'm sure you'll have fun with it.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 10:43 PM
Tama, Iowa USA
Joined Dec 2007
576 Posts
TW, The prop tips are going to be very close. See pics. I think taking a 1/2inch off each tip will be ok. This is the MA 16x10x3