HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 01, 2011, 10:42 PM
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
2,366 Posts
BTW, there were two converted ESM Tigercats at NEAT 2010 fair that I was lucky enough to attend. While I don't recall the exact details of the powertrains that were used, the one I saw fly flew very nicely! I spoke to both owners who were happy with the conversions.

I'm sure there are more and better photos of them in the NEAT 2010 thread if anyone is interested.
Peter M is offline Find More Posts by Peter M
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2011, 07:54 AM
Moorpark, Ca.
Joined Apr 2004
1,108 Posts
Thanks Peter for posting the article! Some good info there!! Happy new YEAR!

Rick
RickAvery is offline Find More Posts by RickAvery
Old Jan 02, 2011, 08:43 AM
Tama, Iowa USA
Joined Dec 2007
576 Posts
Peter, welcome.

thanks for that article. On the gear doors, one of the guys over on RCUniverse figured out a fix that he says works very well. I'll be doing it like his. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_90..._6/key_/tm.htm

post #149, near bottom of page.
Staggerflyer is offline Find More Posts by Staggerflyer
Old Jan 02, 2011, 09:08 AM
Tama, Iowa USA
Joined Dec 2007
576 Posts
This one goes together very straightforward, and pretty much fool proof on the basic assy. The instructions are little more than a roadmap, taken from the prototype, NOT the kit as in the box, but overall, very nice. I got the tailplanes glued on yesterday, which seems to take the longest, since it uses 30 min epoxy, (the only part of the build that does,) and because the horizontal fin has no positive L-R/Fwd-back/lateral twist positioning, you must take your time, and make sure you don't bump it while drying. It is solid when dry, and won't go anywhere, as the ABS skin is a tight fit. It is the only part that does not have a dowel to help position it. MAKE SURE you follow the instructions here, and connect the elevator pushrod to the elevator horn, then install the assy into the tailplane opening and fuse, BEFORE starting installing the tailplane. You will have to twist and bend slightly to get it in. Make sure you bring the pushrod thru the little square hole for it, or it won't work. The instructions show using balljoints on the elevator horn, but the hardware kit supplies clevis's. I suggest changing at least the horn end to ball joint, the hvyduty bolt-on type, not the snap-on type, because of the loads, and total nonaccessability once installed. (I should have taken pictures before installing vertical stab, but didn't.) This pic does show the square hole to run the rod thru.
Old Jan 02, 2011, 10:49 AM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,129 Posts
I saw the Tigercats at NEAT too. Really beautiful up close. Here are some pics and I'm uploading flying video to YouTube right now. Post it in a bit.

This was on sale around Christmas and I didn't get one. Is the current price of $299 the sale price? I have to sell the Bridi Tigercat kit and some of my bigger EDF's to make room for another large model before getting this one.

It is really impressive looking up close.

Mike
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CarreraGTSCS; Jan 02, 2011 at 10:58 AM.
Old Jan 02, 2011, 11:38 AM
Joined Jan 2004
9,129 Posts
ESM ASM F7F Tigercat at the 2010 NEAT Fair (3 min 37 sec)

ESM ASM F7F Tigercat at the 2010 NEAT Fair video 2 (4 min 29 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Jan 02, 2011, 03:24 PM
Joined Sep 2007
2,366 Posts
Hi Mike!
Just reminiscing over the photos of NEAT 2010- http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=3500295 - I noticed that the Tigercat that flew on Saturday is owned by Al Fusco. Do you know if he is an RCGrouper?

BTW: There are great still flying shots of this model in post 94 too. (Also posts 54, 58 & 80 but don't dare look at post 34! LOL)

Regards
Peter
Old Jan 02, 2011, 03:36 PM
Joined Jan 2004
9,129 Posts
Hey Peter! Happy New Year to you. How did your wife do on her exams? I don't know if either Al sr or Al jr are on RCG. Send Tom Hunt a PM. He'll probably know.

There's a video on RCU of this model and the owner says it flies like a big trainer.

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2011, 06:32 PM
Joined Sep 2007
2,366 Posts
Mike,
Great find and Happy New Year to you too!

The interview with the owner of the converted ASM is interesting and how he has mounted the batteries in the cowls. The undercarriage is obviously strongly mounted too! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcoJt7c4bQM

I notice there are some details of a converted KMP/ESM version like the ones we saw at NEAT too - 30lbs, Eflite 160's on 10 cells
Greg Covey's Ampd- Issue #12: Scale Electric Conversions- F7F Tigercat (7 min 38 sec)

Whilst I nearly bought a ESM Tigercat, I'm now preferring the ASM's but really it will depend largely on what I can source here.

Callie when well in her exams and easily gained entry to her Environmental Science degree course that starts mid February. I made it to the half way point on my MBA so we are both happy!

We both absolutely loved the States and have started planning our next visit. I've got permission to have our next trip coincide with another major model aviation event too. (Thanks everyone at NEAT for laying the ground work for my future visits!)

Sorry Don, hows that build getting along?

Regards
Peter
Last edited by Peter M; Jan 04, 2011 at 12:21 AM.
Old Jan 03, 2011, 08:44 AM
Joined Jan 2004
9,129 Posts
Realized last night that the ESM is fiberglass and the ASM is a plastic. The ESM is heavier too.

Staggerflyer-- What's your impression of the plastic skin? Is it ABS, styrene our some kind of polycarbonate? What I'm wondering is will it be brittle in the cold? I try to fly all year long so I'm afraid that ABS or styrene will crack.

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2011, 12:53 PM
Tama, Iowa USA
Joined Dec 2007
576 Posts
Mike, the skin is ABS, seems very sturdy. It has a very well designed framework, uses fibergalss cowls and gear doors. The skin does not do any of the load carrying. I have already had a small lifting accident, due to extremely limited room in building area, with no damage. I don't plan on taking it out in 20belowF weather, but it may well see some below freezing time. I don't know if it might get some cracks from vibration using nitro power, but electric does not have that problem. There is only one "squared off" corner opening area, in the front of the nose gear opening. That point could possibly produce cracks, but it looks easy to reinforce with some sheet. The rest of the corners are all rounded off, which generally reduce the cracking tendency.
Old Jan 03, 2011, 11:56 PM
Joined Jan 2004
9,129 Posts
Thanks for the info. I want one now. Looks great, flies great. Have to make some room.

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 06, 2011, 05:17 AM
Tama, Iowa USA
Joined Dec 2007
576 Posts
Building time has slowed down for awhile, due to R/L job. Only get one day a week to work on it, so will be kind of slow. I do drop in to read the posts, and hopefully answer some questions.

I did get the air lines run in the wing, and the gear mounted.
the pictures in the instructions show holes predrilled... NOT! Be careful, not much room for being slightly crooked or to far forward/back. No indication in instructions for this.
Old Jan 06, 2011, 01:34 PM
In NY's beautifull hills
Binghamton Broome Cty, New York, United States
Joined Jun 2004
1,126 Posts
Will be doing the 92" ASM A 26 soon, same construction as the T Cat. Have mtrs, ESC's etc, as soon as I finish restoring my 24' SE 5A (ultralight).
Saw the T Cats at last yrs NEAT also & the yr before, very impressive !
Maybe I'm too old & cautious, but w/ the "who knows what" mixture of air traffic & pilot talent going on constantly @ NEAT, I would be hesitant bringing something of esthetic & monetary value to fly there. NEAT is close for me & I've enjoyed it every yr but think the unmanaged air traffic is a bit risky for really nice planes.
Apologies if I got off topic.
staggerwing is offline Find More Posts by staggerwing
Last edited by staggerwing; Jan 06, 2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old Jan 06, 2011, 03:02 PM
Joined Jan 2004
9,129 Posts
Staggerwing-- You can't just casually mention your 24' Se5a and not post pics and elaborate a little. I've been thinking of the Loehle Spit Elite for a pre-retirement project.

As for NEAT the Tigercats flew during the afternoon displays which are scheduled. I don't remember them flying at other times but I want always on the flight line. I flew a lot but all foamies (expendable except for my trusty old Eflite Sea Fury).
RCG Plus Member