SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 01, 2013, 02:46 PM
France, Burgandy, Dijon
Joined Jun 2010
628 Posts
Pilot F7F

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAvery View Post
Here's a few more pics of the (almost) finished Kitty. (Are they ever really finished?) Added some graphics, pilot detail & replaced the EMP 15 X 10 props with some APC 15.75 X 13 props. I did cut the new props down ~ 1/4". I got the feeling that she could use a little more umph. Blue skies!
Rick
Hello
Where i can found the pilot for the F7F like your's ?

Thank's

MADISONMaster
MADISONMaster is online now Find More Posts by MADISONMaster
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:19 PM
Moorpark, Ca.
Joined Apr 2004
1,121 Posts
Hi MADISONMaster,
The pilot is from 'Aces Of Iron'. They are a bit spendy, but I've found no others that are as detailed. The catch is.... you have to paint them yourself, although, I think there is a link to a painting service on their website. Not sure of the cost. This is the first one that I have attempted to paint. I don't think it turned out too bad. They have step by step instructions on the website that are very detailed and quite easy to follow. Good luck!

Rick
RickAvery is offline Find More Posts by RickAvery
Old Jan 02, 2013, 01:31 PM
France, Burgandy, Dijon
Joined Jun 2010
628 Posts
weight of the kit - wing area?

Quote:
Hi MADISONMaster,
The pilot is from 'Aces Of Iron'. They are a bit spendy, but I've found no others that are as detailed. The catch is.... you have to paint them yourself, although, I think there is a link to a painting service on their website. Not sure of the cost. This is the first one that I have attempted to paint. I don't think it turned out too bad. They have step by step instructions on the website that are very detailed and quite easy to follow. Good luck!

Rick
thank you Very nice
so this is the 1/7 scale figurine --- (for 2,00 meter wingspan of this plane)

I have ordered the ASM F7F and Spring Loaded Struts today ....
For RimFire 1.20 50-65 with 2 Castle Creations Phoenix ICE 100A on 6S 5000 .... I think putting an Behotec retracts (Electric or not)

MADISONMaster
Last edited by MADISONMaster; Feb 02, 2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 11:29 AM
Moorpark, Ca.
Joined Apr 2004
1,121 Posts
Madison,
The ASM kit is a beautiful kit but it is not without issues. It is necessary to check/glue ALL of the construction points within the fuselage. It's also necessary to glue the stressed plastic skin to all of the longerons. There is a large thread over at RCUniverse in the 'multi engine' forum that has much good information on this build. Also, this thread has some good info, start at the beginning. My F7F is ~ 23.5lbs. with the reccomended retracts, air up air down. The gear doors are a bit finicky to get dialed in but can be made to work OK. Good luck with your build.

Rick
RickAvery is offline Find More Posts by RickAvery
Old Jan 03, 2013, 11:55 AM
France, Burgandy, Dijon
Joined Jun 2010
628 Posts
Quote:
Madison,
The ASM kit is a beautiful kit but it is not without issues. It is necessary to check/glue ALL of the construction points within the fuselage. It's also necessary to glue the stressed plastic skin to all of the longerons. There is a large thread over at RCUniverse in the 'multi engine' forum that has much good information on this build. Also, this thread has some good info, start at the beginning. My F7F is ~ 23.5lbs. with the reccomended retracts, air up air down. The gear doors are a bit finicky to get dialed in but can be made to work OK. Good luck with your build.

Rick
Thank you
i try to manage all this construction step by step with your help if it is not go to well...
For future buyers ,the weight of kit is 10.75 lbs without landing gear, engine mounts and tanks....
weight calculated ~ 23 lbs
Some pictures of the equipment necessary for the F7F ...

MADISONMaster
Last edited by MADISONMaster; Feb 04, 2013 at 01:38 AM.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 01:57 PM
France, Burgandy, Dijon
Joined Jun 2010
628 Posts
how are positioned engines ?

Quote:
Madison,
The ASM kit is a beautiful kit but it is not ...............
Hello Rick
With your experience, how are positioned your engines ?

thank you

MADISONMaster
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:44 PM
Tama, Iowa USA
Joined Dec 2007
578 Posts
MM, my F7F with the Rimfire 1.20s are set up true to the firewalls. NO offset needed. It flies very straight, and no ballooning in turns or with throttle changes. Inverted flight is very good, including outside loops, big and open. Little to no rudder required at any time, except with crosswinds, naturally. Mine is also in the 23 pound range, but in the air it doesn't notice the weight.

The only thing I recommend is that you do not set your full flaps at the normal 45 degrees. 35-40 degrees seems to work better, as it seems to stop flying to soon, just before touchdown, with 45 degrees. Bounces are greatly reduced, and greasers are more the norm with the 35-40 degree setting.

This plane flies very well, but as others have mentioned, glue ALL joints, and strengthen/double the wood as shown in this thread and the one over on RCUniverse. The ONLY fix on these threads NOT so far required by everyone with this model has been the wing center section, which may have been a fluke. But if you wish to inspect yours, don't hesitate to do so. Better safe than sorry. I inspected mine, and it was good. I have about two dozen flights on mine, and it is still working well.

Good luck with yours.
Don H.

Here is the link to the RCUniverse thread.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9096477/tm.htm
Staggerflyer is offline Find More Posts by Staggerflyer
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:17 PM
Tama, Iowa USA
Joined Dec 2007
578 Posts
Something I want to mention to both Rick Avery and MartinM. I found through MUCH testing, this plane doesn't really like the APC 15.75x13 or the 15x13.75 3 blades props. My draw tests showed 6cells had way to much draw, over 100 amps, and in the air on 5 cells, they just didn't have the ooomphff in the vertical nor thru loops. I have settled on the Master Airscrew 14x9x3 props, on 6 cells, as these give much better vertical and power thru huge loops, with enough speed that we can't get a good radar reading. We got one reading that was at 96mph, shallow dive, but that was it. Not enough frontal area. We did get a couple good readings when I slowed it down to half throttle, and those were in the high 60 mph range. And the AMP draw is only 30 as an average flight, with extremely short (1/2 second or less)peaks of 70-80 amps on initial throttle up for take off. In the air I never see over 68 amps, even on full throttle verticals, which climb well over 2-300 feet before rolling off. Loops are well over 100-150 feet diameters.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:53 AM
France, Burgandy, Dijon
Joined Jun 2010
628 Posts
Master Airscrew 14x9x3 - The best for Rimfire 1.20s Motors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerflyer View Post
Something I want to mention to both Rick Avery and MartinM. I found through MUCH testing, this plane doesn't really like the APC 15.75x13 or the 15x13.75 3 blades props. My draw tests showed 6cells had way to much draw, over 100 amps, and in the air on 5 cells, they just didn't have the ooomphff in the vertical nor thru loops. I have settled on the Master Airscrew 14x9x3 props, on 6 cells, as these give much better vertical and power thru huge loops, .........
Hello Staggerflyer

Thank you for the informations
So for you, the best configuration will be the Master Airscrew 14 x 9 x 3 with 6 cells for Rimfire 1.20s Motors ...
the engine must run a little faster with 9 inches and with better performance and more power for less airspeed -this is a good choice - I think with my 2 ESC Castle ICE 100A and 2 Rimfire 1.20, it should go on 2x 6 S 5000 45C !!
I have a dynamometer (0-10 kg) and give you the results of the tests when the tests are done .....

It is a pity to pick all couples and having to operate the wing !! But we have seen worse - it is primarily for the safety of people and equipment

For the performances of this aircraft, as said Mr. Marcel Dassault, when a plane is beautiful, it flies very well !

MADISONMaster
Last edited by MADISONMaster; Feb 21, 2013 at 04:42 AM.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 04:48 AM
United Kingdom, England, Oakley
Joined Mar 2005
287 Posts
Hi Guys

I've just finished my 2nd ASM Tigercat (1st one rolled over and crashed before it even completed a circuit - couldn't find the reason for this) this one has come out at 21.5lbs
Motor is Purple Power PPPO-5065-410
80A ESC's
JXF 15x10 two blade
Measured 1650W per motor on 6S 5,000mAh 35C LiPo's
This equates to 24lbs of static thrust and an estimated top speed of around 85mph which should be plenty to fly this bird scale like.
chinehamgeorge is offline Find More Posts by chinehamgeorge
Old Mar 06, 2013, 10:59 AM
France, Burgandy, Dijon
Joined Jun 2010
628 Posts
attachment points of nacelle

Hello

Have you reinforced the attachment points for nacelle on your F7F ?

Thank's

MADISONMaster
Old Mar 06, 2013, 11:12 AM
United Kingdom, England, Oakley
Joined Mar 2005
287 Posts
No, I didn't think it necessary to reinforce the mounting points.
They seamed strong enough to me
chinehamgeorge is offline Find More Posts by chinehamgeorge
Old Mar 06, 2013, 01:19 PM
France, Burgandy, Dijon
Joined Jun 2010
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinehamgeorge View Post
No, I didn't think it necessary to reinforce the mounting points.
They seamed strong enough to me
Thank's

MADISONMaster
Old Mar 06, 2013, 01:34 PM
Tama, Iowa USA
Joined Dec 2007
578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADISONMaster View Post
Hello

Have you reinforced the attachment points for nacelle on your F7F ?

Thank's

MADISONMaster
No, haven't had any trouble there. Mine rarely has the nacelles removed from the wing, but they show no stress there.

I have around 15 successful flights on mine. It gets flown at least once each time I go out, sometimes twice. This seems like not to many, which might be true, if it was the only plane in my hanger. Actually, I always take 5-6 aircraft to the field with me, sometimes more,but since I rarely get to go more than 2-3 time a month, the flights don't rack up to fast. Especially since we rarely get more than 7-8 months of flying weather available.
Old Mar 06, 2013, 01:51 PM
France, Burgandy, Dijon
Joined Jun 2010
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerflyer View Post
No, haven't had any trouble there. Mine rarely has the nacelles removed from the wing, but they show no stress there.

I have around 15 successful flights on mine. It gets flown at least once each time I go out, sometimes twice. This seems like not to many, which might be true, if it was the only plane in my hanger. Actually, I always take 5-6 aircraft to the field with me, sometimes more,but since I rarely get to go more than 2-3 time a month, the flights don't rack up to fast. Especially since we rarely get more than 7-8 months of flying weather available.
Yes,
I do the same thing

MADISONMaster