SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 14, 2012, 07:09 PM
Tama, Iowa USA
Joined Dec 2007
576 Posts
Had two very successful flights on mine yesterday. Very happy with the way it is flying. Even two greasers on landing!
Staggerflyer is offline Find More Posts by Staggerflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2012, 08:11 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
Nothing like a greaser!
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old May 29, 2012, 10:29 AM
Moorpark, Ca.
Joined Apr 2004
1,098 Posts
Here's a few more pics of the (almost) finished Kitty. (Are they ever really finished?) Added some graphics, pilot detail & replaced the EMP 15 X 10 props with some APC 15.75 X 13 props. I did cut the new props down ~ 1/4". I got the feeling that she could use a little more umph. Blue skies!
Rick
RickAvery is online now Find More Posts by RickAvery
Last edited by RickAvery; May 30, 2012 at 12:11 AM.
Old May 29, 2012, 10:16 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
That looks great.
I like your radials!
Did you install the batteries in the factory position? Or did you put them thru the firewall?
Walter
Old May 30, 2012, 12:15 AM
Moorpark, Ca.
Joined Apr 2004
1,098 Posts
Thanks TripleW. I put the batts where the manual suggested, just behind the firewall. If you look at the closeup of the engine/cowling, you can see the hatch cover & the little tab used to pull it away. It's held on by 3 small rare earth magnets. Check out post #111 in this thread. I posted a bunch of pics of the build. There is a 2s, 2200mah Lipo up front in the nose cone to power the electronics. I think there is ~ 4oz of lead up there under the battery to achieve balance. AUW= 22.5lbs. Blue skies!

Rick
Old Jun 10, 2012, 01:59 AM
Moorpark, Ca.
Joined Apr 2004
1,098 Posts
Well doggone if the Kitty hasen't had another misshap when a CC pheonix 80 ESC went up in flames just after takeoff. Damnit, this plane has been quite a challenge. I hurt her again but did not kill her. Here's a video of the whole flight. You can see just after take off as I sweep her in a right hand turn to keep in the pattern, she pitches hard right. I didn't know what was happening at the time and throttled back some and was able to get her leveled out even with the right motor out. Although the wreckage looks pretty terminal on the vid, the wing is completly intact, right down to the gear doors. All of the landing gear are still sound. The fuse is broken in half with a very clean break at the bulkhead where the wing attaches. She'll be in the repair hanger for a while as I'm leaving on a 3 week vacation with the wife in 2 weeks. But, I do believe she'll be back again. Blue skies!

RIck

Rick F7F Tigercat and Spitfire (2 min 12 sec)
Old Jun 10, 2012, 06:02 AM
Tama, Iowa USA
Joined Dec 2007
576 Posts
Aw gee, Rick. Sometimes, bad luck is all the luck we get. Your kitty seems to hve the same kind of luck my Staggerwing has. I know mine doesn't have a dozen flights on her, and now she's in the rebuild hanger for the third time, second set of wings.

I'm sure your kitty will fly again, and maybe the third time will be the charm. Best of luck to her.

I've read about so many of the CC ESCs having problems, but then, I've also read that most of the other brands have them too, it's just that people are not so "vocal" about the cheaper ones doing it. I guess it's more or less expected of the cheapies. Couldn't tell from the short shot in the vid, was the battery hot? Seems the smoke from the ESC ended almst as fast as it started. What happened to the prop shaft from the motor? It seems to be missing/broken off completely, just like it would be on a real vee engine. Radials rarely snapped shafts.

Have fun on the vacation.

Don
Old Jun 10, 2012, 08:59 AM
Moorpark, Ca.
Joined Apr 2004
1,098 Posts
Hi Stagger,
The battery wasn't even warm. The prop adapter snapped off and the shaft appears to still be srtaight. I was pulling between 65 & 68 amps. Shouldn't have been a problem for the ESC. You can bet I'll be going for some Ice 100s. I run this same set up, motor, battery, ESC & prop, in the Spitfire & my P-40 with many flights and no problems. The ESCs in the Kitty are just behind the dummy radials which are open between the cylinders and exposed to a boatload of prop wash. Cooling shouldn't have been a problem. Oh well, We'll get her back together and try again. Good luck with the staggerwing. Blue skies!

Rick
Old Jun 10, 2012, 02:33 PM
Tama, Iowa USA
Joined Dec 2007
576 Posts
Rick,
Is your CC the older Phoenix style? No HV, no ICE? Problems with those were rare, send it back to CC, their warranty policy is very good. I don't think cooling was your problem, mine are right behind the dummy also, and they never get warm. May have just been an electrical "whoops".

CC has updated a lot of their ICE units to V2, seems some of the electronics parts were made below spec. ALL units were rebuilt/replaced in the ICE HV line. And a few of the rebuilds had problems, too. mostly the 80/85 amp units, coincidently. The non HV units were not affected. I have 5 ICE 100s, as well as one each older Phoenix 85HV and 110HV (non ICE) and all are still operating flawlessly.

Good luck.
Don
Old Jun 10, 2012, 03:00 PM
Marietta, GA
Joined Mar 2008
21 Posts
I picked up a Cedar Hobbies F7F Tigercat 85" the Perry Swap meet and plan to convert it to electric. My first question with this build is retracts. Has anyone used the ESM electric retracts for the F7F? Feedback is MUCH appreciated. Thanks
Ron
bmw2go is offline Find More Posts by bmw2go
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:38 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
Damn Rick sorry to here about that.
Good job keeping her out of the death spiral.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 08:51 AM
Moorpark, Ca.
Joined Apr 2004
1,098 Posts
Yep Stagger, they are the older phoenix 80s w/o bec. I've always had real good performance from that line of ESC. I'll contact CC and see if they can help me out some. I've had good CS from them in the past with a T-bird 54 that failed.
Thanks TripleW, I DID NOT want her to tip stall. You can bet I was bending the elevator stick back just before she hit. I'm already getting anxious to get the repair started. Blue skies.

Rick
Old Nov 05, 2012, 01:32 PM
what it do everybody?
a swamp naturally
Joined Mar 2008
664 Posts
anyone know where you can get a center wing section and nacelles? I have all the parts, but those.
zaskarkid is offline Find More Posts by zaskarkid
Old Nov 06, 2012, 10:30 AM
Moorpark, Ca.
Joined Apr 2004
1,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaskarkid View Post
anyone know where you can get a center wing section and nacelles? I have all the parts, but those.
Check over at RCU in the multi engine forum. there are a couple of folks who have crashed their Cats and may have parts.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 11:36 PM
what it do everybody?
a swamp naturally
Joined Mar 2008
664 Posts
if I can't find them, maybe someone will want to buy my new incomplete kit
zaskarkid is offline Find More Posts by zaskarkid