Old Dec 30, 2010, 03:02 PM
Sverige, Södermanlands Län, Eskilstuna
Joined Jan 2008
195 Posts
Question
Very slow indoor plane - F3P or???

Hello!
I'm now on my second indoor season.
I have flown with EPP Piaget, hommade Depron 3DX & Depron SBach 342, and most recently AP Crazy Sukhoi 29 & AP YAK55 from Auto Partner RC.
Loops & Roll is tolerable, Inverted is still a bit tricky (How can it be so difficult to fly inverted with a Depron plane when it is so easy to do outdoors with a high-wing Multiplex MiniMag) but knife edge still feels a bit "tricky".
It feels like the walls in a gymnastics hall are comming tovards me a bit to quick.
I know that I would need something that flies even slower.
I have not really understoud the difference in F3P & 3D flight, but I think that F3P model fly slower, or am I completely wrong now?
F3P models seem to to be a bit higher in the body and have a bit more wing area, is that right?
Does anyone have a good suggestion on a real slowflyer that I can build?
On RCGroups are a lot of posts about a model named Morback who apparently still considered a good F3P model though it is a few years old.
Or is there a more modern plane that I can find plans for?
Petrik59 is offline Find More Posts by Petrik59
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2010, 07:06 PM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,831 Posts
F3P is the FAI designation for indoor precision acrobatics. Each flight is done to a set routine while 3D flight is freestyle /high alpha flight. The long lines and light weight of the F3P planes result in slow flight. There are a bunch of plans in the sticky at the top of the F3P forum. The Morbach is a great flying plane but I'd take a look at the Index series.

for indoor I really like the slow flight of the F3P planes and the survivability of the EPP 3D planes.

Azarr

We often have pilots new to indoor who think the area is big until they try it and find that somehow turning on the transmitter makes the walls close in
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Dec 31, 2010, 06:03 AM
The new guy
Londonderry, NH
Joined Oct 2010
528 Posts
I just made a 22" EPP Yak55 from Leadfeather's planes built around the guts from a UM 4-Site. It sure flies slow but it's not quite snappy. The aileron servos aren't strong enough for the control surfaces unless you set them on the farthest holes on the control horns and thus they don't get enough deflection to really snap roll. But with a bit stronger servo...
Chris_F is offline Find More Posts by Chris_F