HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 20, 2011, 09:59 PM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
Joined Jul 2007
2,930 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasLee View Post
Yeah, A9 with the optima 6. I don't think it was a radio glitch since it was an empty field, close quarters, and I never experienced a glitch with it yet. I think a more probably cause will be a bad linkage on my part, or (my main bet atm) late release. Why? Kevin's blades are so darn comfy! I think I'm not used to the blade yet and didn't let go cleanly on the last launch, and hooked it a bit, hence the big amount of yaw + rolling the plane.

It wouldn't have crashed if I didn't panic and pull 'up' elevator when it was inverted close to the ground... again... -.- did the same thing with a Minima 2 a few months ago.
Thats sounds odd. If you had a bad linkage on your elevator you could and would still have pitch options with flaps/flaperons etc. Did you have roll authority?

Three times in the last two season I lost elevator authority twice on my organic when I ripped off the tail on a hard launch and once on my 4m Xplorer when I pinched the elevator signal wire between the fuse floor and the servo case.

It's very scary to hit the right stick and see no response but if you are quick you can roll inverted and pull full flaps and modulate your way quite safely. With the Organic I saved it like that and the Xplorer - well I had no time t invert so I just modulated with the flaps and pitched up when it stalled and saved it at the last second - no damage.

Check your radio gear over very carefully. IF you or anyone else in the BC DLG scene is thinking of a new radio I will do the SD10-G for cheap. ITs an awesome radio for hand launch. Nice and lite.
webbsolution is online now Find More Posts by webbsolution
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2011, 10:08 PM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,026 Posts
I had full authority of all surfaces when it was inverted (after the roll), but, it was only say 20 feet from the ground since it was a very light launch... I tried to roll it upright but did not have enough altitude so I gave that up and tried to pull 'up' to give it a gentle-er landing... so I pulled 'up' and crunched it into the ground... d'oh! I need to fly inverted a bit more since this is the second time I have made that simple mistake which resulted in damage.

I'll have to take a look at the radio closely after tuesday, but don't think that's the reason. Still think it's mainly my own fault perhaps by hooking the peg. I might try throwing it without a glove next time and see if that helps... perhaps the glove material is gripping the curved blades a bit too much at that last critical second.

But others have been using curved blades without problem (with lots of success in fact!) so again that is probably my own fault of not releasing properly.
ThomasLee is online now Find More Posts by ThomasLee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Neos Layups
Old Feb 20, 2011, 11:22 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,930 Posts
Quote:
I had full authority of all surfaces when it was inverted (after the roll), but, it was only say 20 feet from the ground since it was a very light launch... I tried to roll it upright but did not have enough altitude so I gave that up and tried to pull 'up' to give it a gentle-er landing... so I pulled 'up' and crunched it into the ground... d'oh! I need to fly inverted a bit more since this is the second time I have made that simple mistake which resulted in damage.

I'll have to take a look at the radio closely after tuesday, but don't think that's the reason. Still think it's mainly my own fault perhaps by hooking the peg. I might try throwing it without a glove next time and see if that helps... perhaps the glove material is gripping the curved blades a bit too much at that last critical second.

But others have been using curved blades without problem (with lots of success in fact!) so again that is probably my own fault of not releasing properly.

Sorry I misunderstood the scenario. Yes time on the sticks will help this scenario out.

I had a similar scenario today as I went to throw, planted firmly and then felt that foot slip and sliiiiiide so I let it go...my throw is level and the launch mode sets the rotation so with a level toss it flew ..level until I could get a firm footing and flew it back to my hands... that was enough flying in that field for the day...
Old Feb 24, 2011, 01:46 PM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,026 Posts
No problem! Actually, I've read about another forum member getting a similar launch problem on his twister, and it happened to be related to his gap-seal not being wide enough and coming up on the launch so it acted like a spoiler or aileron deflection on one wing.... I'll replace my gap-seal tape just to be safe anyway.

Anyone interested in some flying tomorrow?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 24, 2011, 04:08 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,930 Posts
Quote:
No problem! Actually, I've read about another forum member getting a similar launch problem on his twister, and it happened to be related to his gap-seal not being wide enough and coming up on the launch so it acted like a spoiler or aileron deflection on one wing.... I'll replace my gap-seal tape just to be safe anyway.

Anyone interested in some flying tomorrow?
Are you not expected to get outflow winds to 40 KPH and -18 ?
Old Feb 24, 2011, 04:12 PM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,026 Posts
hmm, I'm reading -6 degrees for tomorrow, which is ok so long it's not 40KPH winds! It's 11KPH with 28 KPH gusts at the moment...tempted to go fly.....
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 24, 2011, 04:15 PM
We come in peace.
Canada, BC, Penticton
Joined Feb 2003
1,760 Posts
Wow. You guys are hard core.
Synth is offline Find More Posts by Synth
Old Feb 24, 2011, 04:23 PM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,026 Posts
It beats sitting in front of the computer!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2011, 08:19 PM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,026 Posts
Well Gary it turns out I actually finished my stuff early and got to go fly for a little bit around 5!

FREEZING!!! I think it was around -3 degrees when I went out, not much wind though so no wind chill.... my fingers froze within 5 minutes of flying

Had an alright flying session though! Now I just gotta go out around lunchtime so I can actually grab a thermal or two
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2011, 09:08 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,930 Posts
Quote:
Well Gary it turns out I actually finished my stuff early and got to go fly for a little bit around 5!

FREEZING!!! I think it was around -3 degrees when I went out, not much wind though so no wind chill.... my fingers froze within 5 minutes of flying

Had an alright flying session though! Now I just gotta go out around lunchtime so I can actually grab a thermal or two
zero chance in the valley for me lol - wind and cold... yesterdya my diesel froze in the drive way....
Old Feb 25, 2011, 11:19 PM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,026 Posts
That's ridiculous!
Drive electric
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2011, 01:12 AM
Monroe, Wa
Joined Aug 2005
336 Posts
Electrics freeze to!
DBSkyout is offline Find More Posts by DBSkyout
Old Feb 26, 2011, 11:46 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,930 Posts
Quote:
That's ridiculous!
Drive electric
The one diesel that froze is my long haul contest truck - Its a 1990 Toyotal Landcruser Prado 4 door with a roof catgo box...800K to a tank and I can seat 7 AND carry 8 TD planes! IMagine how many DLG's I could fit !
Old Feb 27, 2011, 10:05 AM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,026 Posts
haha, I had to plug one in for the environment!

Wow, that's a pretty darn good car I'd say! My sis has a Prado back in Hong Kong too, not sure what year, but they were able to drive it through the silk road and everything in one piece... can't go wrong with one! Now you just need MORE dlgs to fill it up!

So much for trying to get a bit of flying in this weekend, everything is frozen like a icicle including me... just going to focus on the table tennis Vancouver Open this weekend!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 27, 2011, 06:21 PM
just one more launch...
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Oct 2006
225 Posts
Table tennis - my second favourite sport! We must play sometime!!

Installing my P2 servo tray this afternoon.
meiche is offline Find More Posts by meiche