SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:17 PM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,172 Posts
Lee, if you don't have a place to stay definitely give Dave Webb a shout! Cool guy and he has room for a couple guys

Looking forward to the contest reports and photos!
ThomasLee is online now Find More Posts by ThomasLee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Neos Layups
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:18 AM
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Nov 2002
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killercando View Post
I am planning to come up for the two day contest. Not sure if I will come Friday after work or Early Saturday morning. Not sure where I will stay. Micheal mentioned we may be able to stay on the field. Not sure about that. Definatly looking forward to having some fun and meeting some more of the Canadian handchuckers. Lee
Lee,

If you were to camp at the field would you be in a tent or RV? I know they have allowed RVs in the past but I don't know about tents. I could ask. There would be no water available and only a porta-poty for facilities. A better option if you want to tent camp would be the campground in Mission: http://www.campingfishingbc.com/ You should call to confirm they are still open as it is getting late in the season.

Jason
DlgHucker is offline Find More Posts by DlgHucker
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:23 AM
Certifiable User
United States, WA, North Bend
Joined Mar 2011
949 Posts
Thanks Jason, Sounds like I will be crashing at Dave's. Can't wait to fly at Mission it sounds like a nice spot. BTW I have never made it to Canada before so am excited about that as well. lee
killercando is online now Find More Posts by killercando
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:50 AM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
Joined Jul 2007
3,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killercando View Post
Thanks Jason, Sounds like I will be crashing at Dave's. Can't wait to fly at Mission it sounds like a nice spot. BTW I have never made it to Canada before so am excited about that as well. lee
This is the team select this weekend right ?
webbsolution is online now Find More Posts by webbsolution
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:03 PM
Canada, BC, North Vancouver
Joined Jun 2002
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbsolution View Post
This is the team select this weekend right ?
Yes.
raturne is offline Find More Posts by raturne
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:40 AM
Joined Jun 2002
134 Posts
Does anyone have an optimistic source for a weather forecast for this weekend? It's currently not looking promising at all
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:15 AM
Joined Jul 2007
3,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raturne View Post
Does anyone have an optimistic source for a weather forecast for this weekend? It's currently not looking promising at all
What are you talking about ? it looks like the weather network says the weather will be totally consistent and we can expect 80 MM of rain between Friday and Monday.

Modern DLG's are made with a LOT of foam - foam floats - stop being a baby.

Carnation looks bad too -
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:51 AM
Joined Jun 2002
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbsolution View Post
What are you talking about ? it looks like the weather network says the weather will be totally consistent and we can expect 80 MM of rain between Friday and Monday.

Modern DLG's are made with a LOT of foam - foam floats - stop being a baby.

Carnation looks bad too -
Problem is that my prescription goggles aren't in yet - flying in the rain is going to be very difficult without them...

Seriously, though - the forecast for this weekend is pretty bad. Sunday sounds like a total write-off and Saturday is supposed to have rain on and off (as is Friday). My main concern is for folks flying in or driving up - we might be able to save folks a lot of time/money by just conceding now...

Thoughts?
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:15 PM
Joined Jul 2007
3,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raturne View Post
Problem is that my prescription goggles aren't in yet - flying in the rain is going to be very difficult without them...

Seriously, though - the forecast for this weekend is pretty bad. Sunday sounds like a total write-off and Saturday is supposed to have rain on and off (as is Friday). My main concern is for folks flying in or driving up - we might be able to save folks a lot of time/money by just conceding now...

Thoughts?
The trending weather after the weekend and the consistency of the accumulations of rain do not even support the hope that this is 2-3 day system that could exhaust itself before the weekend with luck. On the contrary it looks like it could continue until mid next week.

Having people fly into that from afar would be quite a disaster.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:22 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,810 Posts
It does look like it will be cool and wet
Earlier in the week Friday was looking OK, but even that is now looking damp.

But at least they are calling for light winds (5 clicks). Blowing 30-40 here for the next few days.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:14 PM
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Nov 2002
254 Posts
Pat or Ivan - are you guys able to get a refund on your tickets?

If not, then we should just fly between the rain showers and call the winner from whatever rounds we get in. What other option do we have?

Jason
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:24 PM
Ivan MacKenzie
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2002
588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DlgHucker View Post
Pat or Ivan - are you guys able to get a refund on your tickets?

If not, then we should just fly between the rain showers and call the winner from whatever rounds we get in. What other option do we have?

Jason
Our tickets are not refundable, but that was our choice, in order to save a few bucks. Such is life...

We're competitors at heart, so we always prefer to fly if possible. We don't know enough about the weather patterns out there to say, based on the forecast, whether we'd be able to fly at all. We'll have to leave that call up to you guys.

I think we all knew when we picked these dates that weather could be an issue. They were picked, at least in part to accommodate our schedule, so we can't really complain about it now.

Ivan MacKenzie.
imack is online now Find More Posts by imack
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:46 PM
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Nov 2002
254 Posts
Last edited by DlgHucker; Oct 15, 2012 at 08:02 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:38 PM
Joined Jun 2002
134 Posts
Sorry, everyone - the forecast is dismal enough that I think it's prudent to cancel the F3K Team Selects. Like all of you, I was very much looking forward to this event. It's difficult to believe that the weather would turn so quickly and so inconveniently after the spectacular run of weather we've had the last couple of months For Pat and Ivan, I hope that your carrier will let you use your tickets to Vancouver any time within the next year - some airlines do that, I believe...

Personally, I'd be happy to attempt to reschedule the Team Selects for another time - any suggestions?
Old Oct 11, 2012, 05:53 AM
Ivan MacKenzie
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2002
588 Posts
Just got off the phone with Air Canada, and yes we can use our tickets for credit on our next flight, provided it's taken within 1 year.

Regarding a re-schedule, I think we need to check with the sailplane chairman / MAAC to see if there are any rules regarding the timing of the trials relative to the worlds. I believe some countries hold their trials only weeks, not months before the worlds, but I'm not sure whether MAAC will allow this.

How's the weather in early May in Vancouver?

Ivan MacKenzie.
imack is online now Find More Posts by imack