Old Dec 30, 2010, 08:38 AM
www.rc-warbirds.com
Singapore
Joined May 2006
177 Posts
Build Log
TamJets 1/12 Scale F-16 with JetCat P20

Hi guys,

after playing around with various airframe options for the new JetCat P-20 I have decided to start building on a TamJets F-16 in 1/12 scale (below videos helped me a lot to make up my mind ) and plant the little turbine into this model.

Other candidates where:

- Jet Teng BaeHawk (EDF Build Thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1232025)
- Jet Teng L-39 (EDF Build Thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1218023)
- Schuebeler Bae Hawk
- Schreiner/Savex L-39
- Aero-naut Panther
- Aero-naut Rafale (120mm fan version - not sure if this will work with the P-20 as the pipe might reduce power to much....)

Some videos of the Tam F-16 with P-20 in action:

Jetcat P-20SE Tamjets F-16 video (7 min 47 sec)

Jetcat P-20SE, Tamjets F-16 2nd flight (9 min 35 sec)
RC-Warbirds is offline Find More Posts by RC-Warbirds
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2010, 08:57 AM
www.rc-warbirds.com
Singapore
Joined May 2006
177 Posts
The shopping list :

Servos:
- Tailerons: Hitec HS-5665MH (2x)
- Rudder: Hitec HS-85MG (1x)
- Steering: Hitec HS-225MG (1x)

Retracts: Tamjet Mini Air Retracts (4mm wire)
Brakes: TamJets Brake (4mm wire)
Wheels: MPI Wheels with 2'' for the mains and 1.5'' for the nose
Retract Valve: Airpower EV-2U (1x)
Brake and Door: Airpower EV-1U (2x)

Turbine: JetCat P-20
Tank: Dubro 20oz Tank
Air Trap: TamJets Airtrap tank

RX: JR 9 channel 2.1 Ghz
Old Dec 30, 2010, 09:04 AM
www.rc-warbirds.com
Singapore
Joined May 2006
177 Posts
First task:

- Cut gear doors
- Install Retracts, doors and cylinders

I first tried to cut the doors with a saw but had some issues with chipped paint so I switched to a hot knife which worked much better.

Although my version of the F-16 was already from the new batch (with some additional re-enforcements to the retract mount), I decided to add one more layer of carbon to the front of the spar (to much I guess but it looks good....kind of...... ).

I also added the additional block to the wing mounting area (although it would not be required).

Gear door hinges installed and air cylinders fitted (the nose door cylinder comes from a TamJets Gear door install kit, the main cylinders are Airpower 12mm stroke cylinders).
Old Jan 01, 2011, 08:35 PM
www.rc-warbirds.com
Singapore
Joined May 2006
177 Posts
Happy new year everyone.

I finished the installation of the retracts and routed the airlines.
The intake duct is installed - I will have to cut it down later to install the fuel tank.

The EDF Version I'm converting does not have a rudder, so I decided to modify the plane and cut/install a working rudder for those cross wind moments.

The pictures below show how I cut out the rudder, added balsa to close the rudder and fin. At the end I added a layer of light glass to the rounded edge so it an be painted. Looks quite good after the paint job.

The Rudder Servo is a Hitec HS-85MG which is installed in the small box below the rudder. A pin from the rudder will go into the small groove in the servo arm to drive the rudder.
Old Jan 02, 2011, 11:25 AM
United States, MI, Plymouth
Joined Jan 2005
150 Posts
How much does it weigh dry?
joeflier is offline Find More Posts by joeflier
Old Jan 02, 2011, 07:11 PM
www.rc-warbirds.com
Singapore
Joined May 2006
177 Posts
Hi Joe,

The F-16 you can see in the video has a weight of 7lbs dry.

I expect mine to come to the same weight. But as I use a 20oz tank (the one in the video has a 30oz tank) my take-off weight should be a bit lower.

cheers,
Eric
Last edited by RC-Warbirds; Jan 02, 2011 at 09:02 PM.
Old Jan 06, 2011, 06:28 AM
www.rc-warbirds.com
Singapore
Joined May 2006
177 Posts
Next step:

Taileron servos and tailerons installed.
This step is very well prepared from the factory. Just slide them in and attach the horns. Done

Cockpit "glass" cut out and glued into place with Pacer canopy glue.
After it dried for 24 hours, the Pilot moved in.
As his previous home was a HET F-18, I had to rebuild the cockpit floor from glassed balsa sheet.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 07:11 PM
www.rc-warbirds.com
Singapore
Joined May 2006
177 Posts
I’m close to finishing the F-16 now.
I manufactured 2 rails from plywood and glued it to the main fuselage former and fuselage sides.

The rails are a bit to low for the proper thrust line so 6mm plywood doublers are added at the mounting location.

A plywood triangle at the rear further supports the rail on the fuselage walls.

The last picture shows the JetCat P-20 fixed in place (with DIY mini FOD) ..
Old Jan 18, 2011, 04:56 AM
www.rc-warbirds.com
Singapore
Joined May 2006
177 Posts
Nearly done

To mount the Dubro 600ml (20oz) tank as close to the CG as possible, I have installed a wooden frame over the retract bay.
The top surface of the wood is coated with a thin layer of silicone. Once dry the “anti slip” effect of the silicone allows me to install the tank with 2 velco straps. This makes removal easy.

The turbine bay and servos are protected by a layer of TamJets Heat Shield Blanket and fire retardant foam tape.
The TamJets Hopper Tank is installed beside the main fuel tank near the steering servo.

The retracts are operated by one of our AirPower EV-2 electronic retract valves. The brakes are driven by a AirPower EV-1 brake valve.
As the gear doors stay open once the gear is out, I decided to use a single action EV-1 valve for the doors as well.
The door open airline is connected to the retract down airline. This will open the doors as the same time the gear is deployed.
The door close airline is then connected to the EV-1 valve which is driven by a separate delay mixed channel on my JR Transmitter.
Once the gear is retracted, the door close valve is activated automatically after a 2 second delay (servo speed setting) and closes the doors.

The Turbine pump and ECU, fuel valve and kero start valve are all located in front of the cockpit area to make it easier to set the correct CG later (I calculated with a pipe weight of 80grams).

The last item still missing (it slowly travels to Singapore by German Post) is the Grumania P-20 Pipe for the F-16.
Double wall, titanium pipe with only 76grams.. very sexy..

The pipes are custom made and available from Grumania and of course via our webshop
Old Jan 24, 2011, 09:44 AM
www.rc-warbirds.com
Singapore
Joined May 2006
177 Posts
Done !! (well except for the pipe which has not arrived yet).
Once the jet pipe has arrived from Gumania the engine can be started and the plane will be ready for maiden.

In summary: a very nice plane to build – quick and easy.
(a pre-installed rudder -which was also available from Tamjets- will make the installation even quicker).
Old Mar 19, 2011, 12:00 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,975 Posts
very nice build ....i have two of these F-16 with nose damage .....both were runway accidents due to too much nose weight(trying to use 12s EDF) there fixable and i got a good deal on them ...great flying plane ...should be fun with a p-20......how much is that little jewel?
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Mar 19, 2011, 09:28 AM
www.rc-warbirds.com
Singapore
Joined May 2006
177 Posts
Hi Sally,

the Tam F-16 makes a great P-20 conversion
I finally got the pipe. Maiden is planned for coming Saturday !
Old Mar 26, 2011, 09:58 PM
www.rc-warbirds.com
Singapore
Joined May 2006
177 Posts
Hi guys,

It’s been quiet around the F-16 for far to long !!

In the meantime the pipe has arrived from Grumania in Germany.
A piece of art. Super light weight and double wall !!

Installation of the pipe was done in a few minutes.
As Ilja had send me the weight of the pipe I was able to set the CG before the pipe arrived (how many sheets of paper do you have to roll up to get 80 grams??)

As soon as the pipe was inside the plane I did the first test run of the engine.
During the first run I noticed that the engine did not throttle up smoothly -- if JetCat says that the fuel line from pump to turbine needs to be at least 110cm (not mm) = 1.1 meter, then better follow the instructions.

Fuel line extended and “TATAAAAAA…” the throttling up is smooth.

Enjoy the video of the JetCat P20-SE with KeroStart spooling up…

TamJets F-16 with JetCat P20-SE Turbine (1 min 29 sec)
Old Mar 28, 2011, 09:39 PM
www.rc-warbirds.com
Singapore
Joined May 2006
177 Posts
The F-16 had it’s maiden flight last Saturday.
Here are some pictures and a video of it’s first flight.

Considering the gusty wind conditions (the P20 F-16 is lighter then the EDF version), I’m quite happy with the result.

Enjoy !!

TamJets F-16 with JetCat P20-SE maiden flight (4 min 23 sec)
Old Mar 30, 2011, 03:13 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1 Posts
hi
what differenc taileron with conventional wing and tail in flight sens.
i will test f16(1/6scale) tomorrow
who is can help me?
thank.
omid.kalantarzad is offline Find More Posts by omid.kalantarzad