HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 30, 2010, 08:15 AM
Lansdowne, Pa
Joined May 2010
236 Posts
Mini-HowTo
My Parkzone UM storage rack

I'm in no way taking credit for coming up with this idea. I saw a post at one time showing a rack similar to this, I just mounted it on the wall. Anyways, I like this system. It's cheap, holds my planes, and looks pretty cool. It's just 1/2" PVC pipe from Home Depot and costs about 10 bucks to build. Now if the wind would just stop blowing like it's been for the past two weeks, I can get them off the rack and into the air
akozols is offline Find More Posts by akozols
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2010, 12:12 PM
Weekend Hacker
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2009
124 Posts
thats a neat idea, its modular and keeps the bench free for maintenance
nitro_star is offline Find More Posts by nitro_star
Old Dec 30, 2010, 12:23 PM
Joined Nov 2004
857 Posts
I got storage hooks and mounted them to 1/2 X 3 cut stock, then foam on the hooks and my planes (non-micro) sit canopy to the wall, minimising tailplane bonk.

I like your infrastructure in having the chargers up, too

I was surprised how much wind the Flyzone Alby would take. I thought anything over 1 mile an hour and it would just kite away but, it doesn't. I'm sure your P-51s would slip around the molecules in the air even better. Give it a shot, you got 3 of them anyway
ho50ca is offline Find More Posts by ho50ca
Old Jan 03, 2011, 04:01 AM
Lansdowne, Pa
Joined May 2010
236 Posts
Thanks for the compliments. Did anybody notice my Scoobie Doo battery box?
Old Jan 03, 2011, 07:31 AM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
Yoinks!

Dave
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Old Jan 03, 2011, 04:00 PM
Check my blog!
Rochester(ish) NY
Joined Nov 2010
276 Posts
great idea! ill probably end up attempting that sooner or later
You've got 3 mustangs, they must be good i have one sitting in my room, i have yet to maiden <--its my second plane and 1st low wing any tips?
thanks!! looks great
roflmcwaffle is offline Find More Posts by roflmcwaffle
Old Jan 03, 2011, 04:50 PM
Joined Nov 2004
857 Posts
Keep your speed up and take your turns gently. Biggest mistake people make with low wing warbirds is trying to horse them around too tight. Speed drops like Wall Street bank stock, stall city and it's all over.
ho50ca is offline Find More Posts by ho50ca
Old Jan 03, 2011, 05:28 PM
Lansdowne, Pa
Joined May 2010
236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roflmcwaffle View Post
great idea! ill probably end up attempting that sooner or later
You've got 3 mustangs, they must be good i have one sitting in my room, i have yet to maiden <--its my second plane and 1st low wing any tips?
thanks!! looks great
I have three Mustangs in the rack, but one is my son's. I have two Mustangs, but still have trouble flying them. One is beat and has much glue holding it together, but it still flies. The other one is in pretty good condition and I got it trading some Champ parts. I recently gutted my original Mustang and rebuilt using new parts that my wife got me for Christmas. I'll fly the one that I made the trade deal till I get good, then switch over to the rebuilt one.
Old Jan 03, 2011, 10:27 PM
duct tape and hot glue
Olympia,WA
Joined Dec 2009
294 Posts
cheap storage rack

i did a simple rack for my UM's.. just took the planes' foam boxes and put them together and hot-glued skewers in it :P works good!
bungholio is offline Find More Posts by bungholio
Old Jan 04, 2011, 03:59 AM
Lansdowne, Pa
Joined May 2010
236 Posts
Nice, simple yet effective.
Old Jan 04, 2011, 06:32 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,548 Posts
akosols:

Nice set up, I like your "stolen" idea. Might just try that someday. Presently, I make use of the shipping container as a hangar, specific to each plane, complete with charging equipment, batteries, etc. I just grab a box, the DX6i, and head out. The arrangement is, admittedly, a bit cumbersome at times.

Thanks for sharing.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Jan 05, 2011, 01:11 AM
Lafayette, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,707 Posts
I have alot of rack space in the plane room. The only thing is I built them for parkflyers and larger planes and they are usually full. So I just started sticking the little ones on the wall with a simple hook and string. It's like art-sort of expensive art you end up breaking eventually though!

-Jon
echoplanar is offline Find More Posts by echoplanar
Old Jan 05, 2011, 05:30 AM
Lansdowne, Pa
Joined May 2010
236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell View Post
akosols:

Nice set up, I like your "stolen" idea. Might just try that someday. Presently, I make use of the shipping container as a hangar, specific to each plane, complete with charging equipment, batteries, etc. I just grab a box, the DX6i, and head out. The arrangement is, admittedly, a bit cumbersome at times.

Thanks for sharing.

RD
Good idea, saving the boxes. I wish I saved mine....more for safe transport rather than storage.
Old Jan 05, 2011, 02:09 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by akozols View Post
Good idea, saving the boxes. I wish I saved mine....more for safe transport rather than storage.
Yep. I figure if the container is good enough to get the plane to my shop all the way from China, it should be good enough to house the plane(s) to the local flying sites, including my back yard. I have been know to carry a micro or two when on business travel. That's where the cases really function well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by echoplanar
So I just started sticking the little ones on the wall with a simple hook and string.
I have done this with some of my park flyers. Nice collection you have there.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac