HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2011, 12:47 PM
Axes & Blades-Cutlery & Helis
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,343 Posts
The HK401 seems to be getting less realiable, the old GYRDs worked great but the new blue label ones seem problematic. Once the ASSAN gets in stock, and proves realiable, I doubt folks every buy a piezo gryo again.

I see $50 FBL systems on the way I don't actually know if that is good or not, but its coming
ewoodcox is online now Find More Posts by ewoodcox
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2011, 01:38 PM
Meridian, ID.
Joined Mar 2005
709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewoodcox View Post
The HK401 seems to be getting less realiable, the old GYRDs worked great but the new blue label ones seem problematic.
Other than the blue sticker for a different distributor, what else did they change on the circuit board to make it less "realiable" than the originals?
Tamej is offline Find More Posts by Tamej
Old Jan 15, 2011, 02:10 PM
Axes & Blades-Cutlery & Helis
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamej View Post
Other than the blue sticker for a different distributor, what else did they change on the circuit board to make it less "realiable" than the originals?
beats me, but I got 2 that were broke out of the package. One of the POTS broke on one and the other drifted badly in spite of doing all the things B12s list. I got several that work really well....

Whatever, I am retiring all my piezo gyros slowly but surly, I have 3 flying that are rock solid but they will likely be replace with FBL units or ASSAN gyros
ewoodcox is online now Find More Posts by ewoodcox
Old Jan 15, 2011, 03:39 PM
This helicopter smells funny
Berwick,Victoria,Australia
Joined Dec 2008
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by B12 View Post
In my opinion, you are not allowed to complain about Hk401B drift unless...

1. make sure there is no excess vibrations (balanced blades, straight shafts etc)

2. Glue the circuit board to the case.

3. Do proper mechanical setup in rate mode.

4. Save the zero point by toggling the gain switch three times.

If it still drifts, the you have the right to say it is a bad gyro

My GA-250 is on it's way from Hobbyking. I am going to replace HK401b (which does not drift) on my HK450GT. Thanks to the review by Scott, I have high hopes of the gyro.
hi b12 i have 3 401b gyros on 3 different helicopters, and all are set up as per 1234 my drift is on my main flier, and is mainly me being inpatient i think and not letting the 450gt sit for a wile before flying, this gyro didn't drift at all when new, but at the same time i just disconnected my 401b and plunged in the ga-250 didn't touch anything mechanical and now have no drift again, so if it is mechanical drift the new gyro seems to cancel it out maybe because you can adjust the endpoints now or if it is temp it must be more stable, anyway it will be good to get some other views on this gyro as well ,but for 10 bucks im sold cheers scott
scottyvisco is offline Find More Posts by scottyvisco
Old Jan 15, 2011, 03:56 PM
ooooh yeah
Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,536 Posts
B12, I've done all 4 steps multiple times and whilst it is better than when I got it, I can't get it to go away completely (let go of the rudder in a hover and it slowly piros to the right). I can't complain too much, it was cheap and I just wanted to get a "daily hack" heli without spending a fortune. Now if these $10 gyros turn out to be good (which so far they have seemed to be) then I'll go ahead and upgrade.
Frenche is online now Find More Posts by Frenche
Old Jan 15, 2011, 05:04 PM
This helicopter smells funny
Berwick,Victoria,Australia
Joined Dec 2008
221 Posts
[QUOTE=Frenche;17113956]B12, I've done all 4 steps multiple times and whilst it is better than when I got it, I can't get it to go away completely (let go of the rudder in a hover and it slowly piros to the right). I can't complain too much, it was cheap and I just wanted to get a "daily hack" heli without spending a fortune. [ Exactly my thoughts and same problem too scott]
scottyvisco is offline Find More Posts by scottyvisco
Old Jan 15, 2011, 05:57 PM
throw new IOPilotException();
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredy_Groups View Post
Sorry my mistake. I meant I can't find them in stock anywhere.

Regarding the HK401b drift issue.
Most of the problem comes from the gyro sensors on the HK401b,they're very temperature sensitive.
I'm using 3 of them that come from 3x HK401b in a quad and like with the helis I learned
never to try and trim on he first flight.
I usually flight a bit or let it stay connected for some minutes and them I can try and trim if not it's impossible.
IceWind is offline Find More Posts by IceWind
Old Jan 16, 2011, 01:06 AM
ooooh yeah
Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,536 Posts
I tried all that and didn't notice any difference in how it performed, I guess I just got a "bad" one.
Frenche is online now Find More Posts by Frenche
Old Jan 16, 2011, 02:06 AM
B12
Finland
Joined Sep 2010
583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenche View Post
I tried all that and didn't notice any difference in how it performed, I guess I just got a "bad" one.
Then you have the right to say, it does not work well. I just meant that at least 80% of the problems people are having with the 401b is because of bad/lack of preparation and setup. The rest 20% must be gyro related then. I am not saying there are not bad ones around.
B12 is offline Find More Posts by B12
Old Jan 16, 2011, 02:16 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,121 Posts
Why confuse this thread, better to talk about the 401b in its thread.
Roto Rob is online now Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Jan 16, 2011, 02:51 AM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,381 Posts
Removed - Post outdated
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Last edited by Silverexpress; Nov 05, 2011 at 12:07 AM.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 07:41 PM
CHINA
Joined Apr 2005
1,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverexpress View Post
Hi Meng,

Would it be possible to install this in an airplane - for gyro stabilized control surfaces...aileron, rudder, and elevator???

many people interested in doing this!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1035605
hi,

there have many other choice for aero gyro,and some of them are cheap enough.actually, we design an aero gyro before,like Futaba's GY351,but we didn't supply it to the market.because,for aero application, there have a better choice, it's electronic stabilizer.FPV guys use them more. we have interesting in deveelopping such equipment.

and, we need slove all problems on heli gyro's first.that's our focus now.

yours,

meng
ASSAN is offline Find More Posts by ASSAN
Old Jan 16, 2011, 11:32 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,678 Posts
Received my two GA250's. The gyros look very good. Unfortunately, even though both boxes were sealed the same, only one contained the mounting hardware. I hope manufacturing quality control is better than packing quality control.

I'm going to fit one to my Align 450 Sport, as I'm not happy with the performance of the Align GP780, that came with the kit.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Jan 17, 2011, 01:56 AM
CHINA
Joined Apr 2005
1,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
Received my two GA250's. The gyros look very good. Unfortunately, even though both boxes were sealed the same, only one contained the mounting hardware. I hope manufacturing quality control is better than packing quality control.
sorry for the trouble. we will do it better.

meng
ASSAN is offline Find More Posts by ASSAN
Old Jan 17, 2011, 04:42 AM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,678 Posts
Thanks Meng. Just finished installing the GA250 in the Align 450 Sport (looks small compared to the GP780). I just used a spare gyro tray I had, so I can fit the GP780 back in easily, if required. Plenty of room for the gyro, even with the thick piece of foam, and the led can still easily be seen, with the wires running forward into the frame.

Getting into servo setup requires a very fast toggle between rate and heading hold, while the blue led is flashing (gyro initialize). 1520us/333Hz is the default. Setup was very easy. The limits are set to a very small amount of movement, as default, so unlike other gyros you will have to set the limits, but as I said, it's very easy to do, as long as you can see the led and can set a switch to toggle between rate and heading hold (no problem with the Aurora 9).

I was hoping to test fly in the morning, but I just heard we have a cyclone about to hit, so I'm not sure when I will get to fly it now.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Last edited by beenflying; Jan 17, 2011 at 04:48 AM.