Old Mar 16, 2011, 10:39 PM
Axes & Blades-Cutlery & Helis
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad400 View Post
meng,

im not trying to put you or your team down here at all. i know things are getting cheaper.

i was trying to say for this ga250 being new and cheap, people should be happy it even works.
but to set here and say it should be a spartan, well thats just not far for you.
the ga250 is ASSAN, not spartan.
the GA250 seems to work almost as well as my 3 GP750 gyros, it could be equal if it had even the basic setup functions of a GP750/GP780 gyro. For $10, I am happy with the performance and features, I would pay a bit more for expanded servo selection and a few more configuration parameters like delay, analog servo support.....
ewoodcox is offline Find More Posts by ewoodcox
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2011, 10:40 PM
CHINA
Joined Apr 2005
1,035 Posts
Quote:
meng,

im not trying to put you or your team down here at all. i know things are getting cheaper.

i was trying to say for this ga250 being new and cheap, people should be happy it even works.
but to set here and say it should be a spartan, well thats just not far for you.
the ga250 is ASSAN, not spartan.
yes, i agree, GA250 is ASSAN gyro,but you can't forbid one guy compare it with Quark,another guy compare it with 401B,bal,bal...and, no body will compare 401B with Quark.

meng
ASSAN is offline Find More Posts by ASSAN
Old Mar 16, 2011, 10:41 PM
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,365 Posts
Quote:
im not sure you caught the meaning to my post.
if you want to use a 10 dollar gyro and a 3 dollar servo, dont expect a 200 dollar performance.

i hope meng and company can get this worked out, but to keep it ten bucks, you will have some short falls.
now, if they can produce a ten dollar gyro that works as well if not better than the more expensive ones reliably, then i will buy one.
im not trying to discourage them from developments. just saying that no matter what, someone will not be happy.
I guess I haven't kept up with the thead, do you actually have one of these?
Old Mar 16, 2011, 10:43 PM
crashs come easy patience dont
USA, MI, Shelby Township
Joined Jan 2009
2,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewoodcox View Post
I guess I haven't kept up with the thead, do you actually have one of these?
nope,
i was responding to how people want this to be a spartan straight out the gate.
i was trying to defend meng, and show how no matter what, theres always someone thats never happy.
im saying,
if I paid ten bucks, and it worked? im happy. but if I paid 200 bucks, i would expect performance.
does this make sense? not knocking meng or his intentions.
bad400 is offline Find More Posts by bad400
Last edited by bad400; Mar 16, 2011 at 10:51 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 10:54 PM
No Longer Active
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
nope,
i was trying to defend meng, and show how no matter what, theres always someone thats never happy.
that is correct, i've seen people complain that their quark and hyperion ds11 is not performing up to par, so they ended up buying a futaba gyro that worked well for them. I'm sure spartan will learn from it, may be they will try to make their gyro more user friendly? Who knows, that's part of progress. As for this gyro being $10 i think it's a bang for buck. Especially the way the worlds financial economy is going, people in america losing their jobs and can't afford a pricey heli or pricey gyro/servo, this GA250 definately opens up door for those people. As long as this hobby continues on growing, then it is good. So to those people buy yourself a clone, buy yourself this cheap ga250 gyro, and get it out there and fly.
pitchp is offline Find More Posts by pitchp
Old Mar 16, 2011, 11:05 PM
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,365 Posts
Quote:
nope,
im saying,
if I paid ten bucks, and it worked? im happy. but if I paid 200 bucks, i would expect performance.
does this make sense? not knocking meng or his intentions.
well, you should read through the thread, it is an impressive gyro and ASSAN has specifically asked our inputs. To that end we have been feeding back to Meng and he has been passing it on to their engineers. Please don't help anymore, I really want then to implement delay and analog servo support. Lots of other functions like piro optimize and stop gains would make this a more Quark like, if ASSAN can implement it, that is awesome, but I am not asking for that.

Honestly, your position does not make allot of sense to me. Sorry dawg, I completely disagree with you in spite of your help. I suggest you order one and try it out or....stop helping no offense intended
Old Mar 17, 2011, 08:46 AM
USA, MI, Shelby Township
Joined Jan 2009
2,875 Posts
never mind,

i`ll look back in on this adventure in a year, if meng ends up producing a gyro that can perform as good in analog as one does in digital, i`ll buy one for ten bucks.
i dont see this happening really, simply because if it could have been that easy, we wouldnt have digital gyros and servos.

i wonder how many of the top event winning pilots run the old mechanical gyros?
Last edited by bad400; Mar 17, 2011 at 09:10 AM.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 09:30 AM
No Longer Active
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
lol. I don't know someone here(in this forum) once said it doesn't matter if you have the state of the art heli and the most expensive setup. It doesn't make you fly any better.

Most people say to fly with CF blades, because they perform better, but i've seen bert k fly with plastics blades just as good if not better with CF blades. go figure.
pitchp is offline Find More Posts by pitchp
Old Mar 17, 2011, 09:44 AM
USA, MI, Shelby Township
Joined Jan 2009
2,875 Posts
ok you got me.
Last edited by bad400; Mar 17, 2011 at 10:34 AM.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 10:41 AM
Look Ma, no hands!
Edenton, NC
Joined Jun 2009
72 Posts
On A Happier Note. . .

Meng,

On my initial 500HK build I used a Turnigy Mini MEMS gyro coupled w/ a Hyperion Atlas DS20x-GCD tail servo. That gyro caused a tail jitter that no amount of programming would resolve. I changed tail servos, bearings, tail rotor shafts, tail rotor blades, did everything conceivable to reduce vibration, raised the dead-band on the Hyperion Atlas (programmable servo), changed ball link distance from center of control arm, raised & lowered gyro gain on the Tx: Nothing relieved the violent, short coupled tail shake. Four months I have spent researching, following advice given, all ending in frustration.

Then I switched to the ASSAN GA-250. I received mine on March 14, latest batch HK got apparently because I was on back order, they sold out shortly after filling my order and they havenít re-stocked again.

After deciphering the instruction manual and setting up the gyro I took it up for a spin: Rock solid tail, even on pitch pumps, fierce piro rate, dead bang piro stop, left or right w/ no bounce whatsoever.

Needless to say, no tail jitter.

Great gyro.

Jules
126jp is offline Find More Posts by 126jp
Old Mar 17, 2011, 11:01 AM
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,365 Posts
Quote:
never mind,

i`ll look back in on this adventure in a year, if meng ends up producing a gyro that can perform as good in analog as one does in digital, i`ll buy one for ten bucks.
i dont see this happening really, simply because if it could have been that easy, we wouldnt have digital gyros and servos.

i wonder how many of the top event winning pilots run the old mechanical gyros?
Alright, nobody asked for a analog servo to perform like (or better) then a digital servo. The GA-250 only works with digital servos, and not all digital servos, I want it to work with all servos. It's that simple.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 11:05 AM
Low rates are for wimps
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2008
3,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 126jp View Post
After deciphering the instruction manual and setting up the gyro I took it up for a spin: Rock solid tail, even on pitch pumps, fierce piro rate, dead bang piro stop, left or right w/ no bounce whatsoever.

Needless to say, no tail jitter.

Great gyro.

Jules
I think that a lot of the issues of this gyro are only seen on the incredibly fussy T-Rex 250 and clones. For other helis it seems much better behaved. Unfortunately for Meng and ASSAN they've named it the 250, and its size lends itself very well for installing on a 250 sized helicopter.
bwoollia is online now Find More Posts by bwoollia
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 17, 2011, 12:23 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewoodcox View Post
Alright, nobody asked for a analog servo to perform like (or better) then a digital servo. The GA-250 only works with digital servos, and not all digital servos, I want it to work with all servos. It's that simple.
I think people are also getting lost in semantics too. It doesn't really matter what people think about the gyro or what comparisons they make. If Assan can make it user-programmable thru a USB interface to a pc, then savvy users can extract the most from it, whilst less sophisticated users can just run it as it comes out of the box. Surely that leaves everyone happy. My reading of Meng's comments suggests that getting it to work at analog servo frequencies is just a firmware rather than hardware matter.
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Mar 17, 2011, 02:10 PM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,040 Posts
Couldn't agree more with what people are saying, if ASSAN can get it to work well on small helis and with less expensive servos, and with PC programming then FANTASTIC !!. I don't care if they are not upgradeable to the latest firmware - for $10 I will happily buy new versions !!!
MikeHRC is offline Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Old Mar 17, 2011, 03:40 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHRC View Post
Couldn't agree more with what people are saying, if ASSAN can get it to work well on small helis and with less expensive servos, and with PC programming then FANTASTIC !!. I don't care if they are not upgradeable to the latest firmware - for $10 I will happily buy new versions !!!
+1. I have 4 (2 from the first batch and 2 from the second batch). Can't wait for the next release, to buy a couple more.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying