Old Mar 14, 2011, 10:02 AM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mligosh View Post
2Doggs,

I was looking to get the Super Brain, but there were several posts on the HK site that complained of that very problem, premature thermal shutdown. For that very reason I went with another ESC. Did that problem just start occurring with the GA250?

Mike
It seemed to, but I was using a throttle and pitch curve I'd devised as being suitable for someone learning to hover, just to see if it was governor mode that was causing the trouble on the GA-250.

When I re-installed my CSM gyro, and tried a driveway hover with those curves, it also gave me a thermal cutout - but at way less than 80c. Last time it happened, I had to "rest" the ESC for a long time before it seemed to recover. I now think there is a combination of circumstances that can cause the ESC to overheat and to go into thermal shutdown. It's rainy today, but I'm going to try some more hover tests to see if I can pin down the cause - but I think generally the SB can be a bit touchy.
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2011, 11:57 AM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
4,913 Posts
2doggs , does that esc have a 2 amp bec or 3 . i have been using the turnigy red ones without any problems, 2 amp bec on the 25 amp esc ,or 3 amp bec on the 40 amp esc. i always thought the super brain ones were the better esc
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Old Mar 14, 2011, 12:02 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,612 Posts
The 40A SB only has a 2A BEC, and that rating is at 2s - so with a 3s pack, it has even less current capacity. I use a separate 3A SBEC, and it helps the SB run a bit cooler. But I now believe the SB overheats if it has to supply less than 70% throttle.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2011, 01:30 PM
Cereal Killer.
USA, IA, Iowa City
Joined Jun 2009
700 Posts
My 922 apparently is taking an extra trip around the world with the rest of my HK order (the shortest route between two points is open to interpretation, i guess).

Planning to try it out obviously, but have we all discovered a "best" of the sub $20 tail servos out there for a 450 or 250 sized bird with the GA250 yet?

Meng...any place for more details on the multi-copter controller? I know HK is working on a version of the KKmulticopter design, what are you guys working on?
branflake12 is offline Find More Posts by branflake12
Old Mar 14, 2011, 09:25 PM
CHINA
Joined Apr 2005
1,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00fman View Post
Meng, can you tell us more about upcoming versions of the GA-250? Any progress on more user options?
it's not so clear until now.but i am sure by USB, it's expand more setting manual than before.

i will post a pic when oue engineers think their works can be public.

meng
ASSAN is offline Find More Posts by ASSAN
Old Mar 14, 2011, 09:33 PM
CHINA
Joined Apr 2005
1,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtuccio View Post
Meng,

Can you please comment on any updates that have been made to the Gyro in the last 2 shipments of theses sent to HK. I have a bunch of these that I would like to send back from the early shipments but don't want to do so until things have been sorted out to a degree. Even though this gyro is cheap it is beginning to cost me quite a bit in unusable inventory.

Thanks for your time
which fixed the two step power probelm in some TX/RX system.like some guys complain before on Spek.

and,improve and dismiss many bounce by software change.you can see such HG922 worked with GA250 now.

meng
Old Mar 14, 2011, 09:34 PM
CHINA
Joined Apr 2005
1,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post
The 40A SB only has a 2A BEC, and that rating is at 2s - so with a 3s pack, it has even less current capacity. I use a separate 3A SBEC, and it helps the SB run a bit cooler. But I now believe the SB overheats if it has to supply less than 70% throttle.
i think you can try an isolate BEC (UBEC).don't use your ESC's BEC again.

meng
Old Mar 14, 2011, 09:38 PM
CHINA
Joined Apr 2005
1,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by branflake12 View Post

Meng...any place for more details on the multi-copter controller? I know HK is working on a version of the KKmulticopter design, what are you guys working on?
we have a project on multicopter controller. which like the most popular controller in the market.it's still in prior process, and this stsyem is complex.

we have no plan in copter body producting.we focus on electronic equipment until now.

meng
Old Mar 14, 2011, 09:46 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSAN View Post
i think you can try an isolate BEC (UBEC).don't use your ESC's BEC again.

meng
Thanks Meng, I haven't given up on the GA-250 yet! Even as I had it working, there was no drift, which is good. I don't use the BEC on my ESC, I do use an SBEC - but I will experiment with more foam padding, and also try another ESC.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2011, 10:07 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,417 Posts
Quote:
thanks.we have a project on Quad controller.

but my question is what's the different of GA250 compare with 401B is same one Tricopter?

meng
Meng,

With the HK 401 gyro there is significant distortion between the signal into the gyro and out of the gyro when there is no motion. This nmakes it necessary to have a gyro on all 3 motor/esc so that the power is "distorted equally.

The Assan gyro made less distortion but still enough that made trimming the Tricopter difficult with only 3 gyros. My first test was with 3 Assan gyros, one for pitch one for roll. My second test, I had 3 Assan gyros, one on each motor/esc of the Tricopter and an HK 401 gyro for the tail (yaw) servo (non digital).

On the second test with 3 Assan gyros controlling each motor, the motors powered equally but I couldn't get enough gain to make the Tricopter stable. I maxed out the gain and I could fly the Tricopter but it was difficult to fly and took a lot of effort.

I think the future of Tricopters, Quadcopters and others is the mems gyros and control boards. My Tricopter with Wii controls is performing with excellence.

I'm glad to here Assan is working on a quad controller. I hope it is adaptable for a Triopter and other variations as the other control boards are capable of.

Meng, I'd be glad to test your board for you, I really enjoy this part of the hobby.

Dan
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Mar 15, 2011, 03:14 AM
CHINA
Joined Apr 2005
1,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfeather View Post
Meng,

With the HK 401 gyro there is significant distortion between the signal into the gyro and out of the gyro when there is no motion. This nmakes it necessary to have a gyro on all 3 motor/esc so that the power is "distorted equally.

The Assan gyro made less distortion but still enough that made trimming the Tricopter difficult with only 3 gyros. My first test was with 3 Assan gyros, one for pitch one for roll. My second test, I had 3 Assan gyros, one on each motor/esc of the Tricopter and an HK 401 gyro for the tail (yaw) servo (non digital).

On the second test with 3 Assan gyros controlling each motor, the motors powered equally but I couldn't get enough gain to make the Tricopter stable. I maxed out the gain and I could fly the Tricopter but it was difficult to fly and took a lot of effort.

I think the future of Tricopters, Quadcopters and others is the mems gyros and control boards. My Tricopter with Wii controls is performing with excellence.

I'm glad to here Assan is working on a quad controller. I hope it is adaptable for a Triopter and other variations as the other control boards are capable of.

Meng, I'd be glad to test your board for you, I really enjoy this part of the hobby.

Dan
thanks Dan, i will ask our engineers checked the rate mode again.

i am glad to hear you have interesting in our future R&D project.thanks.

meng
Old Mar 15, 2011, 05:39 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,417 Posts
Quote:
thanks Dan, i will ask our engineers checked the rate mode again.

i am glad to hear you have interesting in our future R&D project.thanks.

meng
Meng,

I think if you could get this gyro to work well for the multicopters there would be a good market for the GA 250. In my area there is a lot of interest in the Tricopters and Quadcopters from guys who gave up on conventional helicopters. And; of course; each of these multi-copters requires several gyros.

If I can help in any way let me know.

Dan
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Mar 15, 2011, 12:01 PM
mtuccio
Joined Feb 2011
29 Posts
Quote:
it's not so clear until now.but i am sure by USB, it's expand more setting manual than before.

i will post a pic when oue engineers think their works can be public.

meng
Meng,

Does this mean that the user will be able to update the FW in the gyro? If so, then I can wait until this is available instead of shipping these back to you. Please PM me on this if this if you can. I have quite a few of these right now and will be testing the latest batch tonight to see if the MD922 response is better.

Thanks for your time
mtuccio is offline Find More Posts by mtuccio
Old Mar 15, 2011, 12:17 PM
mtuccio
Joined Feb 2011
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post
A 2A BEC is not enought to handle 3 servos plus a fast tail servo (Just 3 HXT900's would overload this BEC). You should look into a separate BEC and then your ESC will run cooler. In general it is a better approach to powering the servos because it gives you a chance to recover with an auto where as a complete ESC failure using it's internal BEC will result in no control situation. You will not find many people out there flying bigger than a 450 that don't use a BEC. I use them in all my 450 builds now and have even started to use them in some 250 builds using certain servos. This is a often overlooked detail that is very important to good set-ups. The good news is that you can buy a good 3-5A BEC now that is very light and costs under 10 bucks so it is a small price to pay for a little bit of insurance.
mtuccio is offline Find More Posts by mtuccio
Old Mar 15, 2011, 12:23 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,612 Posts
I know it's been said before, but the fact that Meng contnues to participate in this thread speaks volumes about Assan. As for the possibility of programming the GA-250 from a pc with a USB link - that would be incredible for a $10 gyro! Roll on the FBL controller!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by 2Doggs; Mar 15, 2011 at 12:23 PM. Reason: typo