Old Jan 11, 2011, 07:20 PM
Suspended Account
Prescott, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewoodcox View Post
Hmmmmmm, who anywhere in the world has free return shipping
Not hobby related, but lots of companies do. L.L. Bean for starters... They'll refund return shipping charges to your credit card.
sviking is offline Find More Posts by sviking
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2011, 09:10 PM
Australia...we live inverted.
Joined May 2008
5,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00fman View Post
could not resist an examination and bench test.

First disassembled it.
Soldering looks good and clean, no freebees (loose solder balls) on the PCB. The 47uF capacitor is rated at 10V, so it will indeed run at 9V without problems.
There are 2 chips on a single thin PCB. I assume the sensor and the other must be a Ucontroller. Some other parts for voltage regulation and 2 leds.

I put a few dabs of hot glue to secure the board in its casing. It was fit in much better than the 401 clones were, but i just want to make sure ther is no lateral play.

Then the setup.
-Servo pulse with selection:
While initializing i had to switch rate/HH 3 times, but i found out the Gyro was ready before my Rx was bound to the Tx. I just plugged the gyro in the active Tx and i could enter setup that way.

After that the rest of a setup was easy. Setting the endpoints is very accurate as it moves slowly with small increments.

I put on my digital Emax 9257.
The gyro seems to react very fast, and a jerk on the tail will make the servo overshoot very briefly. i think this is intentional to give a burst of reversed thrust to stabilize the tail. This makes the gyro feel much more aggressively/competent towards its target of holding the tail in odd maneuvers, compared to the 401B that just moves linear.

We'll have to see what will happen in flight.

Im getting really exited.
Thanks for the initial factual report.

Presume the gyro sensor is a mems. Pretty obvious if it were a piezo and I would doubt Hobbyking or Assan would try that on.

Love to see some pics of the innards!

I know this is not a Quark clone although the programming is very similar to the DS760.

Anyway here are pics of the Quark stripped just for info's sake:
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=235741

Amp
Ampdraw is offline Find More Posts by Ampdraw
Old Jan 11, 2011, 09:17 PM
Thailand, Bangkok, Wat Tha Phra
Joined May 2010
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampdraw View Post
Thanks for the initial factual report.

Presume the gyro sensor is a mems. Pretty obvious if it were a piezo and I would doubt Hobbyking or Assan would try that on.

Love to see some pics of the innards!

I know this is not a Quark clone although the programming is very similar to the DS760.

Anyway here are pics of the Quark stripped just for info's sake:
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=235741

Amp
what is the sensor brand? ADI? or what?
minihawk is offline Find More Posts by minihawk
Old Jan 12, 2011, 12:13 AM
CHINA
Joined Apr 2005
1,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00fman View Post
could not resist an examination and bench test.

First disassembled it.
Soldering looks good and clean, no freebees (loose solder balls) on the PCB. The 47uF capacitor is rated at 10V, so it will indeed run at 9V without problems.
There are 2 chips on a single thin PCB. I assume the sensor and the other must be a Ucontroller. Some other parts for voltage regulation and 2 leds.

I put a few dabs of hot glue to secure the board in its casing. It was fit in much better than the 401 clones were, but i just want to make sure ther is no lateral play.

Then the setup.
-Servo pulse with selection:
While initializing i had to switch rate/HH 3 times, but i found out the Gyro was ready before my Rx was bound to the Tx. I just plugged the gyro in the active Tx and i could enter setup that way.

After that the rest of a setup was easy. Setting the endpoints is very accurate as it moves slowly with small increments.

I put on my digital Emax 9257.
The gyro seems to react very fast, and a jerk on the tail will make the servo overshoot very briefly. i think this is intentional to give a burst of reversed thrust to stabilize the tail. This makes the gyro feel much more aggressively/competent towards its target of holding the tail in odd maneuvers, compared to the 401B that just moves linear.

We'll have to see what will happen in flight.

Im getting really exited.
good news, looking for the first real test here.:

why you got it first? i think Nertherland is far away than USA or some other site.
ASSAN is offline Find More Posts by ASSAN
Old Jan 12, 2011, 12:32 AM
This helicopter smells funny
Berwick,Victoria,Australia
Joined Dec 2008
221 Posts
Just finished setting up the gyro its a tiny thing, had no probs setting up, had to change servo speed around a few times to get it to run properly, because i don't no servo pulse speed, its a henge md 922 so have got it running on the 1520us/333hs setting, if rain stops will go out and have a fly
scottyvisco is offline Find More Posts by scottyvisco
Old Jan 12, 2011, 12:58 AM
This helicopter smells funny
Berwick,Victoria,Australia
Joined Dec 2008
221 Posts
Managed to get one battery in the front garden out of the wind and rain ,had gain at 90% probably can go higher because there was no wag, spent battery pirouetting and trying to get the tail to misbehave ,solid as a rock im no 3d nut so cant push it as far as some people, also no drift through entire pack will be intrested to see what everyone else thinks but i think it looks great so far, cheers scott
scottyvisco is offline Find More Posts by scottyvisco
Old Jan 12, 2011, 01:03 AM
No Longer Active
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
woo hoo! thanks scotty!! you're a good man. I can't wait for mine to arrive!! $9 w00t!

My 250s will be lovin it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5ULxhiBH1I
pitchp is offline Find More Posts by pitchp
Old Jan 12, 2011, 04:49 AM
Axes & Blades-Cutlery & Helis
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sviking View Post
Not hobby related, but lots of companies do. L.L. Bean for starters... They'll refund return shipping charges to your credit card.
Maybe LL Bean will start carring Assan... Let us know if you hear anything about that
ewoodcox is offline Find More Posts by ewoodcox
Old Jan 12, 2011, 09:05 AM
Bundesrepublik Deutschland, Rheinland-Pfalz, Kaiserslautern
Joined Apr 2007
1,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyvisco View Post
Just finished setting up the gyro its a tiny thing, had no probs setting up, had to change servo speed around a few times to get it to run properly, because i don't no servo pulse speed, its a henge md 922 so have got it running on the 1520us/333hs setting, if rain stops will go out and have a fly
333hz is a lot. IIRC I saw a comment from henge, in which they recommended 274hz max? Forgot the url, though...
daybyter is offline Find More Posts by daybyter
Old Jan 12, 2011, 09:45 AM
No Longer Active
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
that should be ok, he's not doing any hard 3d. He didn't mention if the servo got hot after use
pitchp is offline Find More Posts by pitchp
Old Jan 12, 2011, 01:12 PM
Looptastic!
Enschede, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,264 Posts
Just read the Emax 9257 (E20D) should be run between 250 and 300hz. I bench tested it on 333hz. I'll put it back to 250 to be safe i guess.
sp00fman is offline Find More Posts by sp00fman
Old Jan 13, 2011, 03:39 AM
Full Scale Piper Cub Driver
Hinckley, Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
2,418 Posts
Back in stock 1-13-2011 3am EST

Shipment arrived for HobbyKing GA-250 MINI-MEMS Gyro !
Piper J3 is online now Find More Posts by Piper J3
Old Jan 13, 2011, 03:58 AM
R/C Junkie
Claremore, OK, USA
Joined Feb 2004
369 Posts
Alright! My backorder was filled with this shipment. I can't wait to put it on my HK-250GT.

Brian
Sonex128 is offline Find More Posts by Sonex128
Old Jan 13, 2011, 06:48 AM
Bat-Yam, Israel
Joined Jan 2009
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonex128 View Post
Alright! My backorder was filled with this shipment. I can't wait to put it on my HK-250GT.

Brian
yep - my too, and also for CopterX-250 )
what is tail servo you gona to use with it?
AndrewID is offline Find More Posts by AndrewID
Old Jan 13, 2011, 07:13 AM
R/C Junkie
Claremore, OK, USA
Joined Feb 2004
369 Posts
I am currently running a Ino-Lab HG-D201HB AL on it, so I will keep that on it.

Brian
Sonex128 is offline Find More Posts by Sonex128