Got a MG922 to try it with, also Ino-lab 201, 261HB and I think a Futaba 9650
alouette is offline Find More Posts by alouette
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2011, 10:06 AM
Cereal Killer.
USA, IA, Iowa City
Joined Jun 2009
701 Posts
You'll like that 261...i run mine on 6v straight off my ICE 50. I cant speak to the others, but with that one-the servo will NOT be the weakest link in the chain. Should make for a good test, please post results.
branflake12 is offline Find More Posts by branflake12
Old Feb 01, 2011, 11:44 AM
Looptastic!
Enschede, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alouette View Post
You have to use decent electronics if you want to test things propery!

People who fly 3D, and appear in all the videos we always post, use decent parts for performance, so if you want to compare it to the Quark, use the tail servos you would use on a Quark for instance...

Just my 2c
Im comparing a $10 gyro to a $14 gyro..... what is not fair about that? The price point is the main reason the this gyro being made (see topic title, no 3d in there)

And I dont do 3D, and perhaps never will. I just want a tail that wont break out when i do a loop.
sp00fman is offline Find More Posts by sp00fman
Old Feb 01, 2011, 11:56 AM
B12
Finland
Joined Sep 2010
583 Posts
Mine arrived today. Took it apart to see what's inside. The build quality looks just fine. The micro controller and mems sensor have the part numbers scraped off. The controller is made by Atmel and the mems sensor is Invensense. The circuit board is loose inside and I used a little bit glue a'la HK401B.

B12 is offline Find More Posts by B12
Old Feb 01, 2011, 03:10 PM
B12
Finland
Joined Sep 2010
583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost2212 View Post
Is anyone having problems that it doesnt start up all the time. I'm using an AR6200 with DX6i and have tried a DX7 and the first time you plug it in it gives the flashing red error light but if you unplug then plug back in again it intialises and works fine. Not a big problem but a bit annoying, I guess the reciever is taking to long to boot up.

Maybe something to change in future versions

Thanks

Brett
Seems like I have the same issue with Flysky 8ch receiver. It blinks the red light "no gain signal" when powering up the heli. If I unplug and plug the gain wire with the heli power on, it initializes just fine. This is a major problem right now. The gyro is totally unusable right now. I will investigate what could be done about it.
B12 is offline Find More Posts by B12
Last edited by B12; Feb 01, 2011 at 04:14 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2011, 04:03 PM
No Longer Active
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00fman View Post
Im comparing a $10 gyro to a $14 gyro..... what is not fair about that? The price point is the main reason the this gyro being made (see topic title, no 3d in there)

And I dont do 3D, and perhaps never will. I just want a tail that wont break out when i do a loop.
yep that's right, backwards loop, backwards flight. don't forget to do the mod on your gyro.

I used CA, since i don't have a heat gun.
pitchp is offline Find More Posts by pitchp
Old Feb 01, 2011, 04:07 PM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
5,205 Posts
well this is why we bought traxxas
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Old Feb 01, 2011, 04:09 PM
No Longer Active
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
soon

pitchp is offline Find More Posts by pitchp
Last edited by pitchp; Feb 01, 2011 at 04:28 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2011, 07:07 PM
RTFM
Antarctica
Joined Oct 2010
1,178 Posts
I just installed the GA-250 on my HK450 with a Turnigy DS480.
Result : Tail holds good, no drift. But I get a bad stop bounce!
Ive mounted the gyro like this, thin 3M tape-metal plate-thick tape-gyro.

I also installed my 2nd GA250 in my other 450 heli, using a Esky digital servo.
Result: Tail holds good, no drift. Also get a stop bounce with this setup, but not as much as with the DS480 servo. Wierd!
Ive mounted the gyro like this, thin 3M tape-gyro.
octane81 is offline Find More Posts by octane81
Old Feb 01, 2011, 07:23 PM
Portugal, Lisboa, Lisboa
Joined Mar 2009
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by B12 View Post
Mine arrived today. Took it apart to see what's inside. The build quality looks just fine. The micro controller and mems sensor have the part numbers scraped off. The controller is made by Atmel and the mems sensor is Invensense. The circuit board is loose inside and I used a little bit glue a'la HK401B.
What mems sensor and micro controller are used by the spartan quark?
Maybe the big difference is on the firmware.
cruzado is offline Find More Posts by cruzado
Old Feb 01, 2011, 07:29 PM
Axes & Blades-Cutlery & Helis
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by B12 View Post
Seems like I have the same issue with Flysky 8ch receiver. It blinks the red light "no gain signal" when powering up the heli. If I unplug and plug the gain wire with the heli power on, it initializes just fine. This is a major problem right now. The gyro is totally unusable right now. I will investigate what could be done about it.
not sure about the flysky RX, but with the Spektrum you should rebind the TX&RX after getting any trim/subtrim and get the final gain set. This stores these values in the RX and will automatically be loaded upon startup. Give it a try and see if that helps.
ewoodcox is offline Find More Posts by ewoodcox
Old Feb 01, 2011, 08:28 PM
Low rates are for wimps
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2008
3,439 Posts
Try putting the pushrod through a different hole on the servo arm - on my 250 I had to drill a new one that was about 5mm from the centre. You probably won't need to get that close on the 450, but it's worth trying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane81 View Post

Result: Tail holds good, no drift. Also get a stop bounce with this setup, but not as much as with the DS480 servo. Wierd!
bwoollia is offline Find More Posts by bwoollia
Old Feb 01, 2011, 09:18 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by octane81 View Post

See Page 4:
http://www.spartan-rc.com/products/d...user_guide.pdf

But you only really need the metal plate and thin foam for Nitro helis.

I ended up using a 10mm hole on the servo arm of the DS420, to stop the bounce, but I suspect this particular servo of mine, has less travel than it should have, for some strange reason.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Last edited by beenflying; Feb 02, 2011 at 12:44 AM. Reason: Changed link and page
Old Feb 01, 2011, 10:14 PM
Try Try and Try Again
Florida
Joined Feb 2011
219 Posts
Ga-250

I am waiting for one(GA-250) to arrive; found a new one on E-Bay, in the UK. Who knows what I will end up with, but I should be able to test it by this weekend. Tracking shows its on the way.

Between all the MEMS threads and the Assan & Spartan manuals I will at least take the follwoing steps with the first attempt at GA-250 set-up:

1. Bind the DX6i TX to RX with off center rudder prior to gyro installation(Spektrum TX only), helps initialization/set-up; so it is said??
2. Use 1520us/250 for DS285MG, the safe bet for modern digi servos. I am waiting for JR Support to confirm.
3. Keep at least the first 2" of wire lead from sensor free from tie-wraps, pull or vibration
4. Will use the foam/plate/tape mounting
5. Begin tuning "Rate" with gain @ 43% moving down
6. Begin tuning "HH" with gain @ 56% moving up

My heli's tail is tuned to fly hands-off in "Rate" now so I am hoping it is merely a gyro swap and gain settings! Gulp!

Not expecting much for the $$ but this bargain hunter cant wait to try!
IronRotor is offline Find More Posts by IronRotor
Old Feb 02, 2011, 10:08 AM
Joined Aug 2006
819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchp View Post
soon
please let us know if those corona 919's go up in smoke. I have 929's on my cyclic that I'd like to use in a fbl setup, but I'm not sure if they can handle signals faster than 50 hz.

good luck!
derelicte is offline Find More Posts by derelicte